Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2013, 10:20 AM

Default Elastic Audio hangs PT10

Has anyone experienced this problem with PT10? I'm getting frequent hangs when playing back or recording immediately following having made elastic audio edits, or if I make edits during playback/recording. I haven't found any way of reproducing the problem yet and I've tried a lot cos it's driving me crazy. It just seems to happen at random. I'll do a huge bunch of edits with no issue at all one day then get repeated hangs on the same project the following day. No difference in plugins or session setup that I've figured out yet.

I've tried trashing prefs and databases. The OS installation was fresh on a new hard drive when we upgraded from 9. I've surface scanned all the hard drives and tested the RAM. Sessions are on separate internal audio drives, I'm currently using 2 working audio drives and have had hangs on both. I've installed all free plugin upgrades, and even paid waves their blood money despite their AAX-DSP stance. Admittedly my hybrid and auto-tune versions are old but I tried pulling them from the plugins folder and still got the hang so I'm pretty sure they're not to blame. I've tried different settings for disk cache, all different elastic audio modes and sample and tick ref but still had it with all of them.

System details are as follows:

Mac Pro 1,1 (2.66 Quad-Core Xeon)
9GB RAM
OSX 10.7.5
HD2 PCI-E
PTHD 10.3.7 (also happened 10.3.4-6)

I can provide hang reports if it helps.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:09 AM

Question Re: Elastic Audio hangs PT10

If you zoom in as close as possible around the last elastic audio edit, is the waveform drawn in red? SWODs are known to happen with elastic audio when you have an edit that was stretched too far or compressed too much. Sometimes the edit is so small that you cannot see it when viewing your timeline at a reasonable zoom level.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Elastic Audio hangs PT10

No, no red sections in the main playlist at any zoom level. I'm certain. Sometimes it happens on edits done manually beat by beat so it couldn't be going red without my knowledge.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:40 PM

I am having pretty much exactly the same problem with version 10.3.7. and Mac OS 10.8.4. I have tried all the same things. I can also say it is definitely not over or under stretched regions.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 09-03-2013, 01:41 AM

Well I'm a little relieved I'm not the only one at least - the lack of any similar reports around here was leading me to believe it was something wrong with my computer.

Can anyone shed any light on this? It's slowing us down a lot here - I used to do edits while we're recording to save time but that's a bit counter-productive if it ends up in a SWOD half the time.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:32 AM

Nobody?

I was getting too far behind with my edits, so I threw caution to the wind and started doing them while recording again for the last 2 days, and I haven't had a single SWOD. This on the same set of sessions that hung on me no fewer than 10 times in one day at the weekend. Nothing in my system has changed. What's going on?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:37 PM

Thought I'd chime in.....

I have had this issue, several versions back(maybe as far as 9). I deal with it on the three systems I work with regularly. Studio with Mac Pro Intel(native), studio with 2012 iMac i7(HD Native Thunderbolt)and at home on a 2011 iMac i5(native). Seems like the last HDX rig I worked on was doing it as well....

It has nothing to do with stretching into the red warning, but feels connected to the speed at which I work. If I move too quickly or do too many things at once, I get SWOD every time.

Very disruptive to the workflow. Really disappointed that this hasn't been fixed as far back as it has existed. Like you, I'm surprised there are few reports in the forums.....

Recently installed 10.3.7 and OS 10.8.4 so I'll cross my fingers.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 AM

Just a quick bump to say I'm STILL having major problems with this in 10.3.8.

Anybody got anything new to add? A repeatable way of making it happen perhaps? Confirmation if it does or doesn't happen in PT11?
Old 02-06-2014, 05:04 AM

I've had no fewer than 5 of these hangs in just 2 hours this morning.

PLEASE does no one have any suggestion at all? Avid? Anyone?

Does anyone else feel like these forums are not the resource they once were? Both of the serious issues I have posted about recently have had few responses, and nothing which actually helped.

Do we even have a proper procedure for reporting bugs any more?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:15 AM

I'm in the process of troubleshooting my rig. Not having other apps open and dismounting my time machine drive seems to have a positive effect on EA.

Personally, I think that overall the participation of Avid in these forums has gotten better, not worse. Perhaps if we provided the required info we would get more help?
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS

Last edited by Will Russell; 02-06-2014 at 09:28 AM.