How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 02-18-2021, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Ctrl Key Doesn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Jacobs View Post
Exactly this. I switched from Mac to PC a few months ago and returned a keyboard, thinking it was faulty. The bug remains.

For some reason Pro Tools doesn't recognize ctrl input which is frustrating like nothing else. After using an alt shortcut, like when switching to slip or grid mode, they work again. Until you switch windows or apps again...

Anyone figure out a proper fix yet? Is there some Windows software running in the background claiming the ctrl key or something?
Thanks. At least I don't feel alone anymore. That bug exists for years or even decades and is annoying as hell.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:46 AM

So from what I've figured out it has to do with the menu bar focus. As you alt+tab to a different screen you can see the menu bar items getting underlined. When switching back, the menu bar is still in focus and whatever you do, you HAVE to press alt once or twice to switch its focus back to the actual program.

When in menu bar focus your shortcuts will not work as Windows thinks you're trying to do menu things.

How hard could it possibly be to fix this? It happens in no other programs
Old 02-19-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
So from what I've figured out it has to do with the menu bar focus. As you alt+tab to a different screen you can see the menu bar items getting underlined. When switching back, the menu bar is still in focus and whatever you do, you HAVE to press alt once or twice to switch its focus back to the actual program.

When in menu bar focus your shortcuts will not work as Windows thinks you're trying to do menu things.

How hard could it possibly be to fix this? It happens in no other programs
Yes, if you watch the underlining on the menu bar, you'll notice (with every application by the way, not just PT) that the underlining of the menu item shortcurts appears as soon as you press Alt. Now press TAB also and you'll switch to another application. Switch back and the underlining is still there.
Now press ALT twice to get the focus off of the menu and all the shortcuts are back in business in PT.
Still this doesn't bother any other application but PT...

Avid won't fix it anyways, so the fastest workaround is:
Instead of Alt-Tab back to PT, you have to Alt-Tab-Alt-Alt back to PT.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:56 AM

I really wonder why this isn't discussed more. Is it an issue of a specific version of PT that few deal with? Or is no one's bothered by it 'cause they haven't experienced it differently (on Apple for example).

Especially when doing sound design work I switch back and forth between PT and Soundly ALL the time. Adding a trivial keystroke in that process is extremely annoying.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I really wonder why this isn't discussed more. Is it an issue of a specific version of PT that few deal with?
I first had this issue in 2010 (or earlier):
Keyboard shortcuts (like switching mix/edit windows) stop working