Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2015, 12:06 PM

Default I need help to figure out what to do. Please help if you can. I am lost.

I have an Mbox Pro (3rd Gen) interface that worked when I first purchased it a few years ago.

Apple forced me to upgrade to "Mavericks"

Now I have "OS X Yosemite" Version 10.10.5

How do I get my system to work with Pro Tools 10? I believe it's LE.

Do I have to upgrade Pro Tools to 12?

Do I have to upgrade my OS platform???

I'm lost, and I just want to have fun and create music, now that my babies are older and I have a little time. I am just a guy that wants to make an in home studio rock album.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am lost.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:15 PM

Default Re: I need help to figure out what to do. Please help if you can. I am lost.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you have a lot to learn about Pro Tools. Just trying to help.

PT 10 is not compatible with the latest OS X versions. And PT generally is THE most demanding digital audio workstation when it comes to compatibility with hardware, other software and setup in general.

You have several options. Of course you could upgrade to 12, but you should NOT expect that to be a "pay and play" thing. Quite the opposite, days and perhaps weeks to get a system that works, and even if you succeed you'll find that PT functionality will be depending on you not using your computer intuitively, like for all types of tasks. One has to always take care not to break PT functionality.

You could, if you really just want to get into it and create music, do it with another application like Garageband, Logic, or others which are much more "plug and play" than PT. The Mbox pro is a great interface, and will work fine with those.

Personally, I found it preferable to have a "dual boot" setup where I have one drive (or partition) that I use for PT (and a little browsing and simple applications), and one that I use for everything else and that I can upgrade the OS on without worrying about breaking PT functionality.

But, I really think you should look into other software that might fit your needs better than PT.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:53 AM

Default Re: I need help to figure out what to do. Please help if you can. I am lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tre West View Post
Most important thing will be to find out which exact version of Pro Tools you have? Is it PT7LE, PT8LE, PT9 or PT10?
It is extremely important to know because of the upgrade options.
If you really still have PTLE you are one lucky guys as you are from the states.
For US customers there are still LE-to-PT12-upgrades available unlike for people from abroad.

If you still have Pro Tools LE this would be the right version of upgrade fro you.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PT11LEup-e
If you have PT9, PT10 or PTExpress you need to ask for this one.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTUpSup

Itīs the same price for both but itīs different kinda upgrades.
Because you seem not to be very experienced about Pro Tools I would highly recommend to buy it from Sweetwater
because you can get great support from them leading you through the whole process personally per phone.

You cannot get this support on buying from the Avid store directly.
Sweetwater is an official Avid partner, so the prices are the same like in the Avid store though.

Quote:
Apple forced me to upgrade to "Mavericks"
Now I have "OS X Yosemite" Version 10.10.5
What do you mean by -forced-? You can just disable automatic updates in system preferences.

Anyway you should roll back your machine to OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5.
If you still have the installer for Mountain Lion just make yourself a bootable USB drive and perform a clean install of
your whole system. If you still should have the original OSX disc for Mountain Lion, even better. Then you would not
need such an USB drive and could just insert your ML disc to do a clean install.
If you have neither you may buy the original OSX disc from the Apple store for $19.99. Check it out there.
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6...-mountain-lion

Quote:
Do I have to upgrade Pro Tools to 12?
You have to roll your system back to OSX 10.8.5 to be able to run Pro Tools 10 on it.
The latest version of OSX PT10 was compatible with was OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Check it out there.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-3-9-Downloads

If you have any prior version of PT to PT10 you need to take advantage of the PT12 upgrade to receive PT10 as well.
With the Pro Tools 12 upgrade you will get the full versions of PT12, PT11 and PT10. All available as separate installers
from your Avid account so that you can only install one of them, whichever you want.

To sum it up.
If you have any prior version of PT to PT10 you have to get the PT12 upgrade which includes PT10 as well.
Further you have to roll back your system to OSX 10.8.5 to be able to run PT10.
If you havenīt got any installer for OSX Mountain Lion anymore get the original OSX disc from the Apple store.

You might install Pro Tools 10.3.9 on OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5. This was the latest supported configuration for Pro Tools 10.
Finally get the right driver for your MBox 3 and you should be good to go.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...d/Mbox-Drivers
(According to Avid for Pro Tools 10 you should the driver version 1.2.1)

Please, mind that you will have to hurry to get the PT12 upgrade as this will be gone with 31st Dec 2015. There will be no
upgrades available anymore by 2016. As mentioned before with the upgrade you will get PT12, PT11 and PT10 and it will be
up to you only which version to install and use on your system.

However if you want to have the most trouble free system with your MBox 3 Pro Tools 10 on OSX 10.8.5 will be a good idea.
Further all your old plugins will work with PT10 further on, with PT11/12 you will have to get new versions of all your plugins
and VIs.

Btw if you have Pro Tools 10 already and you want to stay with it just get the OSX Mountain Lion disc from the Apple store
and make a clean install of Mountain Lion on your computer. Then update it to 10.8.5, disable automatic OS updates, install
your PT10 and start making music again.

Whichever route you decide to go, the best of success to you!
Old 12-17-2015, 03:01 AM

I 'upgraded' to Mavericks and lost functionality on PT 10 too. Eventually I reinstalled Mountain Lion and everything was back to normal.

I'd echo what has already been suggested - disable automatic updates.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:51 PM

I see what you're saying, and it's a good idea.

But.......

I have been using Pro Tools for years. It's just been that I have not used it for about 4 years. So, I know a lot has changed.

When I first bought the bundle pack, PT worked. After the update...... Boom. Nothing.

I love PT, and don't want to use anything else. I just need to figure out the best way to make it "work again".
Old 12-30-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
Most important thing will be to find out which exact version of Pro Tools you have? Is it PT7LE, PT8LE, PT9 or PT10?
It is extremely important to know because of the upgrade options.
If you really still have PTLE you are one lucky guys as you are from the states.
For US customers there are still LE-to-PT12-upgrades available unlike for people from abroad.

If you still have Pro Tools LE this would be the right version of upgrade fro you.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PT11LEup-e
If you have PT9, PT10 or PTExpress you need to ask for this one.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTUpSup

Itīs the same price for both but itīs different kinda upgrades.
Because you seem not to be very experienced about Pro Tools I would highly recommend to buy it from Sweetwater
because you can get great support from them leading you through the whole process personally per phone.

You cannot get this support on buying from the Avid store directly.
Sweetwater is an official Avid partner, so the prices are the same like in the Avid store though.

What do you mean by -forced-? You can just disable automatic updates in system preferences.

Anyway you should roll back your machine to OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5.
If you still have the installer for Mountain Lion just make yourself a bootable USB drive and perform a clean install of
your whole system. If you still should have the original OSX disc for Mountain Lion, even better. Then you would not
need such an USB drive and could just insert your ML disc to do a clean install.
If you have neither you may buy the original OSX disc from the Apple store for $19.99. Check it out there.
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6...-mountain-lion

You have to roll your system back to OSX 10.8.5 to be able to run Pro Tools 10 on it.
The latest version of OSX PT10 was compatible with was OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Check it out there.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-3-9-Downloads

If you have any prior version of PT to PT10 you need to take advantage of the PT12 upgrade to receive PT10 as well.
With the Pro Tools 12 upgrade you will get the full versions of PT12, PT11 and PT10. All available as separate installers
from your Avid account so that you can only install one of them, whichever you want.

To sum it up.
If you have any prior version of PT to PT10 you have to get the PT12 upgrade which includes PT10 as well.
Further you have to roll back your system to OSX 10.8.5 to be able to run PT10.
If you havenīt got any installer for OSX Mountain Lion anymore get the original OSX disc from the Apple store.

You might install Pro Tools 10.3.9 on OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5. This was the latest supported configuration for Pro Tools 10.
Finally get the right driver for your MBox 3 and you should be good to go.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...d/Mbox-Drivers
(According to Avid for Pro Tools 10 you should the driver version 1.2.1)

Please, mind that you will have to hurry to get the PT12 upgrade as this will be gone with 31st Dec 2015. There will be no
upgrades available anymore by 2016. As mentioned before with the upgrade you will get PT12, PT11 and PT10 and it will be
up to you only which version to install and use on your system.

However if you want to have the most trouble free system with your MBox 3 Pro Tools 10 on OSX 10.8.5 will be a good idea.
Further all your old plugins will work with PT10 further on, with PT11/12 you will have to get new versions of all your plugins
and VIs.

Btw if you have Pro Tools 10 already and you want to stay with it just get the OSX Mountain Lion disc from the Apple store
and make a clean install of Mountain Lion on your computer. Then update it to 10.8.5, disable automatic OS updates, install
your PT10 and start making music again.

Whichever route you decide to go, the best of success to you!

Thank you SO MUCH!!! I am VERY familiar with Pro Tools as far as "using" it.

I am not very good at the "computer" part. Upgrades/platforms and so on. It's confusing.

I believe I will go back to Mountain Lion since I don't like the fees they are charging yearly now. Total BS.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:52 PM

I ended up talking to Sweetwater and bought the PT12 pack for $199.99.

I might as well. I hope it's worth it. After that, I'll probably never update again.

Thank you all for your help, it is much appreciated.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2015, 02:06 PM

Welcome to the community and thank you for buying the Upgrade & Support Plan!

Offline Bounce (added in 11) has saved a lot of time, and Commit (12.3) and Freeze (12.4) are a couple other great recent feature adds. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/R...-Release-Notes links to articles about specific changes in each update to v12 and http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...12-4-Downloads has more info about the current release.