Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2008, 03:36 PM

Default PT8 LE ability to turn OFF software monitoring?

Can anyone officially say whether PT8 offers the ability to disable software monitoring completely, instead of Auto & Input only?

Regards,
matt
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 10-09-2008, 04:24 PM

Default Re: PT8 LE ability to turn OFF software monitoring?

I'm not sure I see the purpose of this. You can freely mute any tracks at any time(including while in record). Or you can pull faders down so you hear none of that track as it only affects playback.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-09-2008, 04:43 PM

But if you had it set to NO monitoring, you could use the balance control on your Mbox for example, to set the monitoring levels the way you'd like them...
and not have to turn down/mute the track you are recording to, only to have to un-mute/or turn up the channel again every time you want listen back. It seems like a very simple omission available on virtually all other DAWS.

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 10-10-2008, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
But if you had it set to NO monitoring, you could use the balance control on your Mbox for example, to set the monitoring levels the way you'd like them...
and not have to turn down/mute the track you are recording to, only to have to un-mute/or turn up the channel again every time you want listen back. It seems like a very simple omission available on virtually all other DAWS.
You do understand that the M-Box line I/O works differently from the other PT setups?

The whole balance knob feature of the M-Box is a band-aid not something that other LE interfaces have or use.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:18 PM

Yes SKI,
I totally understand this (having worked with many many different scaled PT systems since Nubus), but I am trying to get some functionality with what would seem to be an almost trivial thing to do.

Regards,
Matt

Old 10-10-2008, 06:51 PM

You're not explaining, as you did in your old post about this, that you use a different monitoring path for your inputs while recording. I think you should talk about turning off the input monitoring, not "software monitoring". That sort of implies something different... You do want to hear the existing tracks, right?

On that post, you did get a "good idea" mention from Scott Church the digi guy, so you should probably remain hopeful... He also wants APDC too..LOL

Didn't you also imply that PT HD does allow this in some way? It does seem like another silly thing to have on HD and not on LE...
Old 10-10-2008, 07:14 PM

Yes!!! Turning 'off' software monitoring is exactly what I am talking about.
I have been trying to explain for sometime now that it is incredibly useful, for reasons I will not go into again.... but suffice to say, if you are recording and listening back, you wouldn't need to keep turning tracks on and off respectively.
PT HD doesn't suffer the same problem, in that the monitoring latency is of no concern for most people... so monitoring through the track/software is not a problem.

Cheers,
Matt

Old 10-10-2008, 11:15 PM

Thanks to the 32 buffer setting I do all my monitoring through PT.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
...PT HD doesn't suffer the same problem, in that the monitoring latency is of no concern for most people...
It probably ought to be though! I know folks who found that the increase in latency from NuBus cards to PCI cards doubled the length of time it took them to record acceptable vocals.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:06 PM

Mmmm, 32 samples is not an option for the Mbox, no matter how powerful your pooter.

Interestingly, with other bits of kit I always run at 32 samples... ie AccessVirusTI (usb), RME ff800, ApogeeDUET, RME Multiface.

Anyway, I digress.. .. ... If we could turn off input/auto input monitoring... errrr... falling on deaf ears again. ;-)