Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2003, 07:53 AM

Default OO2 vs. 002R...any regrets?

Hi DUC -

I recently upgraded my 001 to the 002R only to regret not paying extra for the 002 CS model since it supports OS9 (the 002R only runs under OSX). I'm looking into exchanging it, but I'm wondering if they are any of you who share my thoughts? Did any of you regret getting the 002 rack since it doesn't work in OS9? I would really like to be able to track in OSX and then jump into OS9 for mastering using my OS9 plug ins.

Any thoughts? Are there any reasons that I should perhaps stick with the 002R?

I'm also looking for ideas for further tricking out my G4 DP450 Gigabit Ethernet (1.25Gb RAM), so any feedback here would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,

Old 12-08-2003, 08:11 AM

Default Re: OO2 vs. 002R...any regrets?

I just got the 002R a couple of months ago, I have no need for faders.
Regrets? Hell no, I knew what I was getting into when 'adding it to my cart', besides my new Powerbook only boots in OSX. I had the 001 for 3 years on OS9, and while it was great, I see no reason to work in OS9 anymore, it looks archaic. Btw, your plugins are OSX upgradeable, some for free, others for a nominal fee. Visit their sites and get the info.

In the end, use whatever works for you, as long as you'r making music.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:52 AM

Burner,

I was hesitant to take the step to OSX and 002r for some of the same reasons you've stated. I bought the 002r a few months ago but kept my 001 / G4-450 set up in paralell just in case there were problems.

Upgrading the Waves Gold, Autotune and Amplitube plugs did cost a few bucks and the typical amount of headaches that challenge response authorization causes. However it was all worth it. I've not needed the OS9 / 001 system since. It's interesting looking to have both systems setting side by side, but since moving on to OSX I haven't looked back, and the 001 will be moved to another room soon.

The advantages for moving to OSX have all been mentioned here before, I'm sure. But for me, my biggest concern was reliability. This system is used for paying client's projects, and I couldn't afford something that was flakey, unreliable or glitchy. So far any small issues have been manageable and overall the system has been LESS troublesome than the old system in OS9 and the 001.

Also, since I moved from a single processor G4 450 to a Dual G4 1.42 ghz, My track count and plug count has gone up considerably.

So to answer the simple question is, I haven't regretted the 002R at all.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the responses fellas.

I, um, don't exactly own many of the OS9 plugs I'm running. Shhh...don't tell. LOL

You can see why I want to be able to run it OS9.

What do you guys think of this: I was flirting with the idea of buying an Audiomedia III card to run PT5.x under OS9. I think I can get a card for like $150.00 bucks. Do you think it would conflict with a Mackie UAD-1 card because it won't like to share the PCI bus? I want to add the UAD card for use with the 002/OSX once the FXpansion rtas adapter comes out.

thanks again for the comments guys...much appreciated.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:46 AM

I recently bought the 002r instead also and do somewhat regret it. The machines
are supposed the same just the 002r without the control surface. But they obviously
aren't since it does not run in OS9, which definetly should be made clear on all
advertisements. Also to use a control surface with the 002r you take up your only
midi in and one of two midi outs. Leaving you no other option than to spend
more money on a midi interface. So if I had a chance to do it over again I would
get the 002.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:14 AM

Develo -

Is this true? You need to use your midi in to use a third party control surface? I didn't need to do that with my 001...

Can you elaborate on the setup?
Old 12-11-2003, 02:15 PM

Several control surfaces use USB but show up as a MIDI device. JL Cooper units can be bought with MIDI or USB connections.