Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Default Mixer eats up 5 DSP chips in PTHD 9

I've searched & haven't been able to find a solution to this - we've just switched to 9.0.5 on Lion & one of the first things I noticed was that new sessions instantly allow the mixer (whether it's the default surround or if we change it to stereo) to eat up 5 DSPs on the core card. We're coming from PTHD8 on Leopard & sessions never used to do that. In fact, when I open sessions that we created on the old machine they still look as they did - no mixer eating up DSPs. That's how I need PTHD9 to behave since right now I can't even start up a new session w/48 tracks at 88.2. Does anyone know how to stop this new default behavior? If it has something to do with the newer "surround panning depth" I don't want it.

www.architectsoftheaftermath.com steals your soul while you sleep
Old 11-15-2011, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Mixer eats up 5 DSP chips in PTHD 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgehring View Post
I've searched & haven't been able to find a solution to this - we've just switched to 9.0.5 on Lion & one of the first things I noticed was that new sessions instantly allow the mixer (whether it's the default surround or if we change it to stereo) to eat up 5 DSPs on the core card. We're coming from PTHD8 on Leopard & sessions never used to do that. In fact, when I open sessions that we created on the old machine they still look as they did - no mixer eating up DSPs. That's how I need PTHD9 to behave since right now I can't even start up a new session w/48 tracks at 88.2. Does anyone know how to stop this new default behavior? If it has something to do with the newer "surround panning depth" I don't want it.
Hi,

Is it possibly the DSP cache showing the chips is use. open the system usage window and see if the DSP cache is ticked for on. also try purge (Empty) DSP cache and see if that changes it.

Other than that, it can only be a playback engine setting for how many DSP per voices are selected!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:13 AM

Thank you Chris I will look into that when I'm at the studio later. Right now I'm choosing 2 DSP, 48 tracks for new sessions. The system usage window shows the 2 chips as completely full (expected), but then 5 more at around 50% consumed by the mixer. This is right off the bat. I'm really hoping you're right about DSP caching - is this a new default?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 AM

That's normal depending on your routing and delay compensation settings. While the (2) DSP are fully used in order to achieve your 48 voices, the rest is going to be used up more and more as you add audio and aux tracks, do more and more complex routing, create sends, etc.

I agree though. It's crazy how much DSP is used to run everything besides plugins, but that's the way it is.

Also, I would disable DSP cache so everything is properly loaded and unloaded when you open/close a session.
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
That's normal depending on your routing and delay compensation settings. While the (2) DSP are fully used in order to achieve your 48 voices, the rest is going to be used up more and more as you add audio and aux tracks, do more and more complex routing, create sends, etc.

I agree though. It's crazy how much DSP is used to run everything besides plugins, but that's the way it is.

Also, I would disable DSP cache so everything is properly loaded and unloaded when you open/close a session.
no the aux sends and everything else to do with mixer are handled within those 2 chips dont know where u got ur info from
Old 11-15-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
no the aux sends and everything else to do with mixer are handled within those 2 chips dont know where u got ur info from
Hi,

He's right, with delay comp on it will use more chips!

If you're using the surround mixer it will use slightly more and if you use the dithered mixer it will use slightly more.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:38 PM

This is really confusing - am I to understand that what I'm seeing here is the norm? I have to believe it's something session-specific since when we open sessions created on the the 8.0.1/Leopard system they use 1 or 2 DSPs for the amount of voices, then another for plugin sharing but that's about it. We then have the remaining chips for TDM plugins. Now any session we create in 9 uses up at least some part of every chip once these mixer instances are figured in. Since there are 5 of them I keep thinking it must have something to do with a surround default but since we only do music I really have no use for that. Same card, much faster computer, but an almost useless system by comparison.

Thank you for the caching & delay compensation suggestions but unfortunately they didn't clear the mixer instances off of the 5 chips. Did no one else experience this phenomenon of moving from 8 to 9 only to be greeted by a fraction of the DSP they had before? I'd love to know what I can do to get these chips back.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgehring View Post
This is really confusing - am I to understand that what I'm seeing here is the norm? I have to believe it's something session-specific since when we open sessions created on the the 8.0.1/Leopard system they use 1 or 2 DSPs for the amount of voices, then another for plugin sharing but that's about it. We then have the remaining chips for TDM plugins. Now any session we create in 9 uses up at least some part of every chip once these mixer instances are figured in. Since there are 5 of them I keep thinking it must have something to do with a surround default but since we only do music I really have no use for that. Same card, much faster computer, but an almost useless system by comparison.

Thank you for the caching & delay compensation suggestions but unfortunately they didn't clear the mixer instances off of the 5 chips. Did no one else experience this phenomenon of moving from 8 to 9 only to be greeted by a fraction of the DSP they had before? I'd love to know what I can do to get these chips back.

Hi,

The only other thing that might be making the difference is if you have long delay setting on the PT9 system and you previously had short delay setting in playback engine settings. this would account for more chip usage with ADC.

As soon as you start to Create parts of the mixer that require ADC then the chips will start to fill up! thats always been the way.

Are you sure you had ADC turned on before?

As i said earlier the dithered or surround mixer in the plugins folder will use slightly more DSP.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 11-16-2011, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Did no one else experience this phenomenon of moving from 8 to 9 only to be greeted by a fraction of the DSP they had before? I'd love to know what I can do to get these chips back.
Yes, I did, because 9 defaults to the surround mixer where I had previously been using the stereo. Have you tried changing it back? Are you sure you removed the surround plugin completely when you did? You can double check from the system usage window as ADC allocated chips will have the prefix surr. Also you will be unable to change the pan depth in the session setup if your mixer is on stereo (which is presumably why they changed the default in the first place).
Old 11-16-2011, 01:54 PM

Heat?