Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 AM

Default Re: DAE drive too slow or fragmented. Stop playback

It should definitely be able to play that. I'd still suggest importing a track at a time to see if it's a particular one causing the problem. I assume you're not using elastic audio? What are your DAE playback buffer settings in the playback engine dialog?
Old 11-13-2011, 04:24 AM

ok, i'll import one file at a time and see.

At this stage i wasn't even doing "import session data"...
just shift+apple+i of the consolidated files in a new session on a other similar 2TB internal drive, so it seems to be with the files itself even though they have been consolidated etc...

regarding the problem being just with this session, on the new HD system, yes so far. And yes i remember i did some elastic audio at the time but then committed it and it's been consolidated since. Changing the buffer doesn't help. (was recorded on a HD, moved on a LE, and now back on an other HD)
what kind of information could still remain in the files itself?

LE System
what i can say is i haven't been able to have a rock solid stable system with my LE system ever. (Macbookpro, PTLE 8, MBox2pro or Digi003, Metric Mobile i/o uln2 ...).
it's always been files reading related same DAE 9073 bloody reason!
i came to the conclusion that the FW system was just not working properly.
i bought different type of external drives LACie etc..., tried all the possible combinations of connecting things between computer/interface/drives and whatever way at some point this problem would come back...
Lately i got pretty stable with the macpro though and an external FW HD on the 003.
it just wouldn't work using any of the internal drives in the macpro which is just annoying...

Disk activity
But anyway i'm still curious about this Disk activity in the system usage window. Could someone tell me what this percentage is actually telling us.
And what can explain sudden jumps from 1-5% to 60, 70 and more%???

Many thanks!!
fab
Old 11-13-2011, 05:05 AM

When you created a session on a different drive and used import audio to pull the audio files in did you use the 'copy' function or 'add'? If you used 'add' then it will still be playing off the old drive which would NOT rule out a problem with the drive itself.

A sharp spike in disk activity would normally indicate some sort of disk fragmentation. Regardless of what Apple say this DOES occur on macs as well. The best way of ruling this out is use 'save copy in...' select 'all audio files', and create a brand new copy on an empty hard drive. Open this new session, and if the same problem occurs the drive is probably not to blame.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicune View Post
When you created a session on a different drive and used import audio to pull the audio files in did you use the 'copy' function or 'add'? If you used 'add' then it will still be playing off the old drive which would NOT rule out a problem with the drive itself.

A sharp spike in disk activity would normally indicate some sort of disk fragmentation. Regardless of what Apple say this DOES occur on macs as well. The best way of ruling this out is use 'save copy in...' select 'all audio files', and create a brand new copy on an empty hard drive. Open this new session, and if the same problem occurs the drive is probably not to blame.
i just did again a "save copy in", w. all audio files on my other empty 2TB internal drive, NO luck! still spikes on the disk activity...
there's nothing going in that session, 4 plugins, 22 mono tracks! van it be corrupted somehow??
Old 11-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Problem is i have to print a mix of this track asap!
i could technically do it by small bits at a time, but something tells me that this saturation of files reading might do something to the sound maybe??
you know i get that kind of clic sound everytime i press stop...
such as life!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Yes it could conceivably be a corrupted audio file causing the problem. This is why I suggested importing the tracks one by one. Have you tried this yet? You also didn't answer my question regarding cache settings. Have you tried changing these?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:13 PM

yes, only that session so far.
i moved on to HD about 2 weeks ago...
fixing it once would help me for future similar issue...
i was used to having similar problems with my LE system but i blamed the whole FW setup...
many thanks for your help!
Old 11-13-2011, 08:24 PM

try do this, copy all your sessions PT folder and everything on that drive wherever you have free space, then inizialize the drive (remember to give the same name) and copy again on it, is faster than Tech Tool and give the same result, i did it when i rebuild my kontakt libraries in a 1 tera drive, now is very fast and samples loads very well, the fact is you probably knows PT make and erase lots o f files during busy session, also if you consolidate and delete unused files, i notice in a current project where i did new sessions for mixing coping the project folder, the option "save copy in" is a waist of time and sometimes you miss files or settings, just COPY the entire project as is on a clean drive, will be ok, PT has tons of settings and option completely useless, save copy in is one of those, i think is to justify the price, i use PT since 4 years (HD) i always just copy from drive to drive and erase what i don't need, believe me I NEVER LOOSE A SINGLE FILE,
Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 PM

you're probably right, i mean ideally each project should have its own drive depending on how big it is, a bit like tapes i guess at the time, few tapes per project probably too...
i'll keep this in mind, whenever i started clearing sessions by removing unused files and so on i had problems happening...
i track loads, almost everyday, i have to find a way somehow, this fragmentation of drives is quite hard to get around...
Thanks!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicune View Post
Yes it could conceivably be a corrupted audio file causing the problem. This is why I suggested importing the tracks one by one. Have you tried this yet? You also didn't answer my question regarding cache settings. Have you tried changing these?
i did one at a time and it looks more like it's adding up on the disk activity rather than one file being the issue.
Regarding cache, i've been playing with buffer size and number of voices/DSPs and i found a way to print the track... was still kind of edgy but didn't stop the playback this time! i still don't understand why such a simple file reading would make the disk activity so high like over 80%...
(there is still 1,31TB available on the drive).
i must move on w. the project but i'll keep an eye on this!

Thanks!