Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2009, 05:35 AM

Default Does Elastic-time affect the sound/tone, even on sections where it is unused?

Am still experimenting with E.A, as i only ungraded to HD7.4 recently.

A question...If I have (for instance) a bass track, & I only use E.A to alter the timing of one note...will the rest of the rest of the track suffer sonically in any way?

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 08-22-2009, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Does Elastic-time affect the sound/tone, even on sections where it is unused?

I'm not an expert at this, so this is just my guess -- I think of Elastic Audio as like fades. After it analyses the track, if you make a change to one note then it renders that change as a fade would be rendered. That's why if you move a project to a different drive it can re-render the elastic audio, just as it can re-render fades.

On sections that are affected, stretched or pitched, then yes you can hear a difference based on the algorithm used, but the untouched sections remain untouched.

Is this right?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Does Elastic-time affect the sound/tone, even on sections where it is unused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
A question...If I have (for instance) a bass track, & I only use E.A to alter the timing of one note...will the rest of the rest of the track suffer sonically in any way?
hate to give a question to your question cuzi hate hate.

what do your ears tell you?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
hate to give a question to your question cuzi hate hate.

what do your ears tell you?

haha, yes i know...but i've only been messing with it in earnest for a week, & am a bit afraid to start 'E.A'ing all over the place on a commercial release, only to decide it's a bad idea a month down the line..

What do *your* ears tell you, I value *your* opinion & anyone elses if they'll give it?

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 08-22-2009, 08:05 AM

Nope...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-22-2009, 08:17 AM

If done right, the other audio should be unaffected.

To test it, separate your region right after the section you've fixed and see if it has an EA icon on it. If it does, then it's being stretched too.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:48 AM

I've noticed a particular scenario in polyphonic mode on acoustic guitar (one of EA's torture tests) where analysis markers can cause an audio glitch (ones without warp markers). Deleting these "unused" analysis markers clears the glitch. it's not consistent (the initial glitch), but it DOES qualify for your topic.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post

To test it, separate your region right after the section you've fixed and see if it has an EA icon on it. If it does, then it's being stretched too.

That is good to know. Thanks Kenny, ff
Old 08-22-2009, 11:37 AM

yes it does, sometimes on sustains (vox, gtrs),,,
opening elastic properties and setting sensitivity to zero can help this.
b.o.l.
e