Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-16-2020, 01:18 PM

Default New Avid HDX Thunderbolt 3 chassis

Personally, I'd prefer a HD Native system over HDX, when HDX consists of only 1 card.

So.. can you fit a PCIe Native HD card in the rack / desktop as well?
I suppose so, PCIe = PCIe

Last edited by JanuS; 01-16-2020 at 01:37 PM. Reason: better title
Old 01-16-2020, 01:25 PM

Default Re: HDX Thunderbolt 3 chassis

What's wrong with the HDN TB box that is old as heaven and earth?
Old 01-16-2020, 01:38 PM

Default Re: New Avid HDX Thunderbolt 3 chassis

Nothing really.. perfectly fine box. Although a TB 3 connector version would be appropriate.

I'm referring to the new announced Avid / Sonnet chassis.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:12 PM

I assume this means TB3 is now supported with HDX across the board?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I assume this means TB3 is now supported with HDX across the board?
Better not assume anything. Assume only this: Avid obviously supports the new boxes, but anything else be prepared to read some readme's and knowledgebase articles.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuS View Post
Nothing really.. perfectly fine box. Although a TB 3 connector version would be appropriate.

I'm referring to the new announced Avid / Sonnet chassis.
I use this with my MacBook Pro, works perfectly.
Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 01-16-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
I use this with my MacBook Pro, works perfectly.
Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
Of course.

But if the computer only has one TB3 buss, the problem is (citation needed) when you connect a TB1 device to the buss the whole buss downgrades to lower speed.

I am not completely sure though; may also be that if your only buss has a TB3 device first and TB1 device second, the first TB3 box would operate full speed and speed reduced from the first TB1 device onwards. You also need to read Avid readme's as (again, not sure) they might insist HDN box be first in TB chain if you operate at 96kHz or higher.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Of course.

But if the computer only has one TB3 buss, the problem is (citation needed) when you connect a TB1 device to the buss the whole buss downgrades to lower speed.

I am not completely sure though; may also be that if your only buss has a TB3 device first and TB1 device second, the first TB3 box would operate full speed and speed reduced from the first TB1 device onwards. You also need to read Avid readme's as (again, not sure) they might insist HDN box be first in TB chain if you operate at 96kHz or higher.
No the whole bus is not slowed down. As always other peripherals on the bus can affect available bandwidth, lucky audio has small needs here. If Avid is saying the HDN box can't be at the end of longer chains I suspect that is just a concern about bandwith consumption of upstream devices... with the restriction written in a simplistic way that they did not need to try to get into what actual upstream device bandwidth consumption there is... if low then sure you might be able to have a longer chain. I do wonder if they are worried in practice about DC power through a bunch of devices... if upstream devices are consuming bus power. Again I suspect they may have wanted to simplify any restrictions they provided.

The practical issue may be more just Thunderbolt bus termination. e.g. plugging in a device (Thunderbolt single port, USB-C, displayport display, or indeed the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter) terminates the Thunderbolt 3 bus and you may run out of ability to chain other Thunderbolt 3 devices. And adapting into a device that has two Thunderbolt 1 or 2 ports only provides that performance downstream, but should not affect upstream devices.

BTW great that the new HDX enclosure includes two Thunderbolt 3 ports, I hope Avid learnt their lesson with the Thunderbolt HD Native box, or maybe Sonnet is just smarter--a good company to partner with. A refresh of the HD Native box with dual thunderbolt 3 ports might be nice.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:36 PM

I think it is both. Avid only supports HDN TB box as 2nd device on TB buss (power issue) but they also say if you run 96k or more it needs to be 1st (bandwidth issue)