Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2009, 06:06 AM

Default Mbox2 Mini causing MacBook Pro to hang on shutdown...

I got my MacBook Pro last week, and at the same time bought Pro Tools LE 8.

My mac starting hanging on shutdown and I had to restart by holding the power button, I didn't know what the problem was and have been on the phone to Apple a few times about the issue.

I've reset the PRAM etc etc and done other things recommended by Apple, Apple haven't been able to pinpoint the issue with their tests but have said it is a software issue, they said the next step will be to do an 'archive and restore', I have also bought Snow Leopard but as yet haven't installed it due to some of the glitches people are finding with Pro Tools.

Anyway, it just happened again and I read the system report about the crash and I noticed that 'Mbox2' kept coming up mixed in with all the coding and numbers... so I'm guessing this is what is causing it. I also use the Mbox as my sound card just for ease of use so that I don't have to keep changing audio cables into my Mac.

Has anybody else had any issues similar to this or now how I can fix it, I am going to tell Apple even though they will probably just say uninstall it.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Mbox2 Mini causing MacBook Pro to hang on shutdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPT8 View Post
I got my MacBook Pro last week, and at the same time bought Pro Tools LE 8.

My mac starting hanging on shutdown and I had to restart by holding the power button, I didn't know what the problem was and have been on the phone to Apple a few times about the issue.

I've reset the PRAM etc etc and done other things recommended by Apple, Apple haven't been able to pinpoint the issue with their tests but have said it is a software issue, they said the next step will be to do an 'archive and restore', I have also bought Snow Leopard but as yet haven't installed it due to some of the glitches people are finding with Pro Tools.

Anyway, it just happened again and I read the system report about the crash and I noticed that 'Mbox2' kept coming up mixed in with all the coding and numbers... so I'm guessing this is what is causing it. I also use the Mbox as my sound card just for ease of use so that I don't have to keep changing audio cables into my Mac.

Has anybody else had any issues similar to this or now how I can fix it, I am going to tell Apple even though they will probably just say uninstall it.
If you are using SL, than expect to see issues with PT8. Mine has been running well on it with my Mbox 2, but it did hang when I launched PT for the first time. All I did was click and hold on the PT icon on your dock, then quit or force quit. Wait a few seconds and launch it again. It should work fine this time.

If not, download and install PT8 cs3 and PT 8.0.1. I haven't had any issues since, but if you still have leopard 10.5, wait until SL is officially compatible.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:49 AM

i have pt8.01 and osx 10.5 not snow leopard,im not installing 10.6 yet. The problem isnt pro tools,its the mac that crashes when i try to shut it down (the mac that is). Bt when it comes bk on,it says the kernal panic is due to the mbox
Old 09-16-2009, 09:08 AM

Are you closing Pro tools before shutting down? That might not be a bad idea. Do you still have the Kernel Panic if you unplug the Mini before shutting down?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-16-2009, 10:35 AM

i have pt8.01 and osx 10.5 not snow leopard,im not installing 10.6 yet. The problem isnt pro tools,its the mac that crashes when i try to shut it down (the mac that is). Bt when it comes bk on,it says the kernal panic is due to the mbox
Old 09-17-2009, 06:55 AM

bump anybody?
Old 09-17-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPT8 View Post
But have you tried unplugging the MBox before you shut it down?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM

This seems to have been a long running problem for many users. I don't have this problem but here is a link to a thread that talks about this.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...t=kernal+panic

(I have not read it from beginning to end so I'm not sure if there is an answer in there or not). Perhaps it will provide some perspective on the issue.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 PM

Apparently cs3 addressed some kernel panics.

You must not unplug the Mbox 2 before shutting down the machine, toggling audio prefs doesn't help.

A royal PIA.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Avid

8.0.1 includes the fixes included in cs3, so the only reason you should get a kernel panic is if you unplug the Mbox 2 while the computer is on, as the Dougfather said.