Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-1999, 07:12 PM

Default autostart virus - need advice!

i seem to have a real problem here-
my automation started acting glitchy 2 weeks ago-
it was suggested i may have the autostart virus-
i took a zip disc with a photoshop file to print out at our local copy center-
it prompted me with a screen saying "file adbc (or something like that) is infected with autostart virus"
this was a file that is not visible on the disc.
okay, i've got autostart.
i have virus software-
my question is-
what about authorization keys?
do i need to remove them to run the virus software?
i have-
//
pt4.3.2
d-fx
masterlist 2.2
studio vision pro
//

all help will be greatly appreciated-
i'd like to get this thing off my machine- i feel dirty or something. i also heard that severe damage can occur if left unatended.
thanx-
-coaster
Old 11-03-1999, 01:20 AM

Default Re: autostart virus - need advice!

hi coaster,
welcome to the club
OK, as for the autostart virus, you can't earase it (as far as I know), but you can "dis-arm" it, so it wouldn't have any efect on your system, using a program called "worm scanner".
To my best knowledge, you need not remove the authorization keys, but if you are worried about it, take the time, and do it the safe way.
Once in a while, I use this program w/out any concern of the keys.
Take care, diver
Old 11-03-1999, 09:45 PM

to stop the virus spreading you must turn the auto start feature in your quick time control panel.
then theoretically it won't spread to other disks.
earlybird isalso a good fix it program for this virus and is free, so is wormscanner. It does kill the virus but won't fix corrupted files.
I take it you're worried about your keys being corrupted. Can't help you on that one.
Kill the virus first, then remove the keys and back up your stuff, fornmat your drive and you should be sweet.

Cheers etc

Robv
Old 11-05-1999, 06:39 AM

What are some of the other manifestations of this virus?
Old 11-08-1999, 10:34 AM

Hi all
Various strains of this auto-start virus have been floating about over the last couple of years.
A serious infection happened here in the UK about 6 months ago, the effects ranging from mild irritation to serious file-corruption and data-loss.
It is typically introduced via removable media such as floppy,Zip and Jaz drives etc when it restarts the computer and writes itself to any non write-protected drive.
It resides in the "Desktop Printer-Spooler" on the system drive and can only be gotten rid of by booting from CD (I use Norton Anti-Virus) and deleting that file..(NAV will delete the file.."DB" written to other discs without this, but by then it's too late!).
I have had several instances of this and have found that zapping with NAV hasn't compromised any disc authorisations etc.
Don't actually install NAV on your rig though!
delphypop is right...turning off auto start will stop the virus spreading to other connected drives, but I have another Mac with NAV installed which I use to examine any incoming removable media before it reaches my PT rigs.
Hope this helps...

Ade