How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM

Default Re: MBox Pro and FireWire/Thunderbolt adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchie View Post
Ever since buying my new iMac, it frequently (often daily) crashes when it comes out of sleep with the MBox 2 Pro connected, using the Thunderbolt to FW adaptor (obviously, since it's the only way to connect the two devices). When I'm up and running, things are fine! I have tried everything, including updating drivers and the Mac OS to 10.8.4... I'm using Pro Tools 9 but that doesn't really matter, as I don't have to be using Pro Tools to experience this crash. I'm going out of my mind here, having searched for an answer all this year!!
Hi

Avid highly recommend NOT using the sleep mode and says it should be turned off and if you are not using the mac just shut it down. Sleep mode is really asking for trouble and this forum is filled with posts against this practice so I wouldn't expect anything beeing done to prevent this from Avid at least.

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-06-2013, 03:21 PM

P.S. More details: I'm using the Thunderbolt adaptor and a FW 800-400 cable (not adaptor). O just tried version 10.3.3 drivers for the MBox 2 Pro. I also sometimes experience a crash when a FW device is turned on or connected, but my problems go away when the MBox 2 Pro is not connected. I have never used my interface with external AC power. The MBox still works fine with my late 2006 Intel iMac, though. Apple Store Geniuses found nothing wrong with the iMac. I could bite the bullet and move to the MBox Pro and Pro Tools 11, but not until I determine the cause of my problem.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:29 PM

Christopher, thanks for your quick reply and I am aware of not using Sleep mode. I could try to avoid it, though could that really be the issue when Pro Tools is not even in use? And even so, what about when I connect a device when the computer is AWAKE and I have a crash/reboot? (My second post provided more details.) I must say, I hate the idea of having to keep the computer on or shut it down when I'm away from it for a couple of hours, but I admit there are worse inconveniences in the world. But I think my problem is a little deeper anyway. I think my Mac has even crashed and rebooted while I've been away from it and not had it sleeping. And again, this is not a problem with the Mac, with Pro Tools or even my MBox on an older computer. But I sure don't want to run Pro Tools using the mini jack audio outputs of my iMac! (Though I have, to see it it worked, and indeed it was fine.)
Old 09-06-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
P.S. More details: I'm using the Thunderbolt adapter and a FW 800-400 cable (not adaptor). O just tried version 10.3.3 drivers for the MBox 2 Pro. I also sometimes experience a crash when a FW device is turned on or connected, but my problems go away when the MBox 2 Pro is not connected. I have never used my interface with external AC power. The MBox still works fine with my late 2006 Intel iMac, though. Apple Store Geniuses found nothing wrong with the iMac. I could bite the bullet and move to the MBox Pro and Pro Tools 11, but not until I determine the cause of my problem.
No they are not details, these would be details...

What crash? What does the top of the crash report say?

Any other suspicious error/warning messages spewing in the Console? (see Console.app).

What version of OS X and what version of the driver are you using?
What exact Mac ... date code/model.

You need to disable suspend/power management. Absolutely it can be an issue, with just the device connected and powered on. That is why Avid sasy don't do this. If you want to ignore all proper setup advice your are going to end in a pile of tears. However this may not explain thing like panics/crashes you are seeing... you *need* to give us details on those and on you system.

If you have not followed the advice on disabling power mangement/suspend than have you done any of the other standard Pro Tools optimizations for the Mac? Now is the time to go do every last one.

Are there any other devices on that Firewire chain? have you tried different cables and/or FW 400 to 800 adapters (yes there *are* bad cables/adapters out there, I've had several).

The Mbox 2 Pro does *not* need external power when connected via FW (the power connection is for stand-alone operation), the Mbox 3 Pro does need external power even when connected to FW.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:00 PM

[QUOTE=Darryl Ramm;2080210]No they are not details, these would be details...

A recent one said this:

Interval Since Last Panic Report: 3163 sec
Panics Since Last Report: 2
Anonymous UUID: 7BB97AEB-D518-F3A3-6227-DB59B3092895

Any other suspicious error/warning messages spewing in the Console? (see Console.app).

How would you define suspicious? I'll keep an eye on it and the time of the next crash.

What version of OS X and what version of the driver are you using?
What exact Mac ... date code/model.

I'm now on 10.8.4, driver version 10.3.3. The newest iMac, 2.1 GHz Intel Core i7, with 16 GB DDR3 RAM.

If you have not followed the advice on disabling power mangement/suspend than have you done any of the other standard Pro Tools optimizations for the Mac? Now is the time to go do every last one.

May I have a list?

Are there any other devices on that Firewire chain? have you tried different cables and/or FW 400 to 800 adapters (yes there *are* bad cables/adapters out there, I've had several).

I think I've used more than one 800 to 400 cable. Never have used an adaptor.

I have a USB drive connected, sometimes a 400/800/USB drive connected (OWC). Turning this one on sometimes causes the crash, but having nothing but the MBox connected causes it too.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:

May I have a list?
Here area few guidelines atleast

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-06-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:

A recent one said this:

Interval Since Last Panic Report: 3163 sec
Panics Since Last Report: 2
Anonymous UUID: 7BB97AEB-D518-F3A3-6227-DB59B3092895
That is nothing useful about a panic. I am after the actual panic/crash message. Look for text that says things like, panic, page fault, exception and shows stack traces. 50 or so lines of that for the most recent crashes (if they are different).
Old 09-07-2013, 04:07 PM

The Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter has a low 7w of power, I believe. This can cause problems with some bus-powered devices. If you aren't using the AC power supply, you should try it. I'll also repeat what others have said about disabling sleep mode on your Mac, especially with older interfaces.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That is nothing useful about a panic. I am after the actual panic/crash message. Look for text that says things like, panic, page fault, exception and shows stack traces. 50 or so lines of that for the most recent crashes (if they are different).
OK I'm back. I found none of those words in the panic report (except 'panic.') In the last few months I have gone carefully over all the PT/Mac guidelines, swapped some cables, and even started using a power supply for my MBox 2 Pro. And I no longer put the computer to sleep. Still, the same thing happens after a few days, whether or not Pro Tools was in use: the connection or powering up of an external drive can make the Mac crash. Pro Tools and the MBox still work perfectly on my older computer; in fact Pro Tools is apparently not the culprit here, it's often not running, but the MBox is always connected when I have this problem. If I run Pro Tools without the MBox all is well. Any more guesses, anyone?
Old 12-17-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
OK I'm back. I found none of those words in the panic report (except 'panic.') In the last few months I have gone carefully over all the PT/Mac guidelines, swapped some cables, and even started using a power supply for my MBox 2 Pro. And I no longer put the computer to sleep. Still, the same thing happens after a few days, whether or not Pro Tools was in use: the connection or powering up of an external drive can make the Mac crash. Pro Tools and the MBox still work perfectly on my older computer; in fact Pro Tools is not the culprit here. Any more guesses, anyone?
Can you just post the crash report as asked for before. Go to Console.app. "System Diagnostic Reports". Find the latest crash. Cut all the text and paste here. Across multiple posts if it is too long for one. Then find the next most recent one and post that as well. Every last line.

And yes to answer a previous question, sleeping/suspending OS X even when Pro Tools is not running can cause problems--whether the system does so itself or you sleep/suspend the computer manually. Don't do it. A common problem is the interface just no longer shows up at all, but others are possible as well.