Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2020, 07:24 AM

Default Re: I have a perpetual account-do I want to crossgrade to subscription? Really confus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
In a nutshell; if you go for subscription, PT will not open if you have not paid for it. But when you pay for subscription they throw in the Complete Plug-In Bundle. If you keep perpetual, you can still use PT after your support and update plan has expired, just obviously not getting any support and updates.
I see. this is REALLY helpful! I'll definitely, but reluctantly pay the $200.00 for one more year and keep my perpetual status. I won't lose any pluggins by keeping my perpetual licence will I? Sounds like a potential stupid question (I hope that it is) but I don't currently know what to think. I like and use a few of PT's pluggins and I'd like to keep them. It's too bad that Avid doesn't give a better explanation of the difference between licences. Maddening really.
Thank you.
Peace and good health.
256SSD
16gb RAM
Sierra
Clarett 4Pre
Protools 12.7.1
WD 1TB USB3 External Drive
Lacie 1TB Thunderbolt External Drive
Old 05-16-2020, 07:28 AM

Default Re: I have a perpetual account-do I want to crossgrade to subscription? Really confus

Of course you will lose nothing, you have what your iLok License Manager tells you have.

Just that renewing support and update plan does not give you the Complete Plug-In Bundle which is a perk for customers that convert from perpetual to subscription.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
And the fact reinstatement licenses are running out at dealers so by next year it wont work to ”take a break” and reinstate when a new version is released so you would need to renew in time from now on and thats a cost too.

I mean if you make money (even a little) off of PT yearly I would probably go subscription as it is a good deal and if you are using PT daily anyway you can just go subscription and have the perks of that as having a dead old perpetual license years old and pretty worthless in a year or two ins’t that appealing. So as long as you are a daily or weekly PT user a subscription makes more sense now that reinstatements ended would be my advice. Since you have a non HD license we are talking about which can be had as perpetual second hand for 200-240 USD it is a no brainer for me. A PT Ultimate which has a much higher value second hand I would just keep that and get a whole new subscription for non HD and then I would atleast have some value left for a year or two before everyone goes subscription for Ultimate too.
Thanks much for your thoughtful input. I may not be using PT at all in a year or sooner because of health issues and am not really interested in it retaining any value. I'm simply going to pay the bucks, reluctantly, and keep my perpetual license. If I'm capable next year I'll simply let it lapse and hope it'll continue to function at that level for me if I can use it at all.
Thank you again.
256SSD
16gb RAM
Sierra
Clarett 4Pre
Protools 12.7.1
Old 05-16-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLaws View Post
Thanks much for your thoughtful input. I may not be using PT at all in a year or sooner because of health issues and am not really interested in it retaining any value. I'm simply going to pay the bucks, reluctantly, and keep my perpetual license. If I'm capable next year I'll simply let it lapse and hope it'll continue to function at that level for me if I can use it at all.
Thank you again.
Gotcha! Thank You for the kind words and please let us know if you have any further thoughts and or questions We are here for you.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-16-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Maybe the free DNS server at IP addres 8.8.8.8 as known as google.
Thanks! It's not just Google's current search issues I take issue with and perhaps I can give you some advice but this is only my personal experience although others are experiencing the same; since Google completely acquired Nest, the system has become nothing more than an expensive toy and shouldn't be considered to be any sort of security device. Fortunately I kept my wired security system as I've found it necessary since, as I mentioned, Google took over. I had one relatively minor ongoing issue for a year of Nest prior to Google and now I've, and others, have serious ongoing issues that Google support is no help with. In fact, they've become nonexistent. There's more but that's enough I think.
Thanks again.
Peace.
256SSD
16gb RAM
Sierra
Clarett 4Pre
Protools 12.7.1
Old 05-16-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Of course you will lose nothing, you have what your iLok License Manager tells you have.

Just that renewing support and update plan does not give you the Complete Plug-In Bundle which is a perk for customers that convert from perpetual to subscription.
I suppose IDK what the 'Complete Plug-In Bundle' is but I've more than enough pluggins (from PT and a variety of other vendors) as well as hardware and simply want to keep what I have. What I have does what I want it to do and I'm very happy with that.
Thank you.
Peace
256SSD
16gb RAM
Sierra
Clarett 4Pre
Protools 12.7.1
Old 05-16-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Gotcha! Thank You for the kind words and please let us know if you have any further thoughts and or questions We are here for you.
That's much appreciated. Thank you.
256SSD
16gb RAM
Sierra
Clarett 4Pre
Protools 12.7.1