Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 05-13-2020, 06:42 AM

Default I have a perpetual account-do I want to crossgrade to subscription? Really confused.

I've 20 days to renew my perpetual account for $200.00 USD OR I have been given the option of "crossgrading" to a subscription account and prepay for a year for $99.00 BUT I have to surrender my perpetual account.

I can't find anywhere what the pros and cons of changing account types are. I'm not at all happy that my perpetual renewal has doubled in price since last year and, as I mentioned, I don't see where Avid makes it at all clear why I'd want to surrender my perpetual account for a subscription account other than the cost which makes no sense at all to me.

I just want the application to keep working the way that is has for three years for a reasonable price as I'm old, in ill health and don't use it nearly as much as I'd like.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, all.

Peace and good health (BTW, I've not updated my "signature" here. I've High Sierra and ProTools 2019... I think. I only use that Macbook for Protools and I'm nowhere near it currently and it's been at least a month since I cranked it up)
256SSD
16gb RAM
Sierra
Clarett 4Pre
Protools 12.7.1
WD 1TB USB3 External Drive
Lacie 1TB Thunderbolt External Drive
Old 05-13-2020, 07:11 AM

Default Re: I have a perpetual account-do I want to crossgrade to subscription? Really confus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLaws View Post
... I just want the application to keep working the way that is has for three years ...
Another option is to simply let it expire - send no money at all. The Pro Tools and OS versions you have now will keep running. Just freeze the rig in time, and keep using it as is. You will not, of course, be able to get the latest Pro Tools version updates or newer OS updates. There are lots of pro studios that run old rigs just fine.
Do you have a boot drive image backup plan in-place? Highly recommended.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-13-2020, 09:23 AM

Default Re: I have a perpetual account-do I want to crossgrade to subscription? Really confus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
^^^ This ^^^

The old adage, "if you don't have it in a least 3 places, you don't have it."

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-13-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Another option is to simply let it expire - send no money at all. The Pro Tools and OS versions you have now will keep running. Just freeze the rig in time, and keep using it as is. You will not, of course, be able to get the latest Pro Tools version updates or newer OS updates. There are lots of pro studios that run old rigs just fine.
Thanks for the response.

I've considered simply letting it expire but not convinced it'd function properly however I've a friend with a studio with about six old PT versions that he uses for whatever reasons but I'd really like one more year of updates just in case... however... IDK. I'd be happy paying a hundred bucks, 200 is a bit much but, like I say, I can't find the difference between the perpetual and the subscription function wise and don't at all get why Avid is pricing this way suddenly and the terminology of having to "surrender" my perpetual license just doesn't sound like something one would want to do. lol... sounds like once it's gone you just might be screwed.

I've been "computing" since 1993 and I'm tired of dealing with screwups and issues with computers and applications (it's been exhausting). I held on to to Win 3.11 for as long as I could because it did everything I wanted it to do.

"Do you have a boot drive image backup plan in-place? "

I used to when I used Windows. I used Acronis and just made two complete copies of C: on other drives at least once a month. Used a Norton product prior. Haven't been too worried with the Mac but perhaps I should be? The last time I renewed Acronis there was a problem with it I didn't feel like dealing with... I BU all data now on all devices but nothing bootable. Suggestions for the Mac and PT?

Thanks, again.
256SSD
16gb RAM
Sierra
Clarett 4Pre
Protools 12.7.1
Old 05-13-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
^^^ This ^^^

The old adage, "if you don't have it in a least 3 places, you don't have it."
Thank you for the response.

Please see the response above but do you have an inexpensive imaging app that you'd recommend? I'm still not up to snuff on the Mac OS and probably should've not tackled all this at this late stage in the game however, I'm a musician.... whatchayagonnado.. ;-)

Picked up a Moog Matriarch a few months back and need to do more work with it. Just can't sit at it for more than about an hour... health issues (deaf, cripple, blind, and crazy ;-))... don't get old...
https://soundcloud.com/paul-lawson-5...some-craziness
256SSD
16gb RAM
Sierra
Clarett 4Pre
Protools 12.7.1
Old 05-14-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the response.

Please see the response above but do you have an inexpensive imaging app that you'd recommend?
I'm on Windows and use Acronis. But there are many choices... Google is your friend.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-14-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
can't find anywhere what the pros and cons of changing account types are.
In a nutshell; if you go for subscription, PT will not open if you have not paid for it. But when you pay for subscription they throw in the Complete Plug-In Bundle. If you keep perpetual, you can still use PT after your support and update plan has expired, just obviously not getting any support and updates.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:14 AM

And the fact reinstatement licenses are running out at dealers so by next year it wont work to ”take a break” and reinstate when a new version is released so you would need to renew in time from now on and thats a cost too.

I mean if you make money (even a little) off of PT yearly I would probably go subscription as it is a good deal and if you are using PT daily anyway you can just go subscription and have the perks of that as having a dead old perpetual license years old and pretty worthless in a year or two ins’t that appealing. So as long as you are a daily or weekly PT user a subscription makes more sense now that reinstatements ended would be my advice. Since you have a non HD license we are talking about which can be had as perpetual second hand for 200-240 USD it is a no brainer for me. A PT Ultimate which has a much higher value second hand I would just keep that and get a whole new subscription for non HD and then I would atleast have some value left for a year or two before everyone goes subscription for Ultimate too.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-16-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I'm on Windows and use Acronis. But there are many choices... Google is your friend.
What is this Google that you speak of? ;-) I recall the early days and was delighted that there was finally a decent search engine. I'm not so happy with the Google these days but I get your point but I always appreciate people relating personal experiences with products. Thank you.
256SSD
16gb RAM
Sierra
Clarett 4Pre
Protools 12.7.1
Old 05-16-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
What is this Google that you speak of? ;-)
Maybe the free DNS server at IP addres 8.8.8.8 as known as google.