How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 PM

Default MIDI quantizing dilemma

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to quantize the ends of my notes (getting them to touch each other without overlapping). Recording MIDI is easy enough, along with quantizing the beginnings of the notes to snap to grid. In the event operations window I'm not seeing anything in the quantize section that would accomplish this, it's just to snap to the nearest 1/16th, 1/32nd and so on. No options to stretch the midi notes so they touch each other like sustaining until the exact point of the next note strike, not overlapping each other. The only other place I would guess would be under the "change duration" section and then the "legato" section, unfortunately this doesn't stretch the notes proportionally, it picks what seems to be a random note and stretches each note exactly the same, thereby leaving gaps between the rest of the notes. It doesn't seem to matter what I set the overlap to, and oddly enough if I try to do it this way, it overlaps certain notes but not others. I've seen this done in other DAWs, Propellerhead Reason is really easy. Thanks for your help.

Josh
Old 02-01-2013, 03:03 AM

Default Re: MIDI quantizing dilemma

Select all the notes in the midi editor go to Event Operations in the Event menu then Change Duration then choose Legato and either gap or overlap depending on what you want to achieve then set the value you want as a gap or overlap then hit apply. That should do the trick. Oh and make sure you haven't got any Real Time Properties on the track which will over ride this.