Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2015, 10:05 AM

Default Help with ADAT Setup with 2 Different Brand Interfaces

I just picked up a couple Presonus Digimax D8's to use as "mixers" for my new reel-to-reel setup, and I figured I might as well see if I can integrate them with my current main digital recording setup. I currently use 2 Focusite Saffire Pro 40's. The reason I got the Presonus is because they are a true Analog output, and I wanted to keep that front end analog all the way to tape. The intent is then to use the Analog outs into my DAW, so I can record the tracks into my DAW. (Whatever your opinions of this, save it for another thread, I'm doing it so end of story.) Anyway....here are the backs of both of the units, stacked just like I have them in my rack:

I picked up a couple ADAT cables and then went to the back. This is what I found. I figured I would need some more cables (this type of thing - ADAT/Lightpipe or whatever - is totally new to me.)

(Presonus is 2 on top, Focusrites are 2 on bottom.)

(In case the photos aren't clear enough, the Presonus have the LIGHTPIPE-Sync In, and ADAT Out, and the Focusrites have the Optical IN and OUT.)

I went to Focusrite's website, and all of their examples included using connections using the LIGHTPIPE "Sync In" on the Presonus, along with another one on the Focusrite. But their examples used an OctoPre - the Saffire Pro 40's don't have that.

So anyway, I'm just wondering if syncing these units are possible, given the ins and outs that I am stuck with.

Thanks in advance!
DELL Inspiron 3847; Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 - CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s); 16GB Ram; 64 bit - Windows 8.1 - Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (3) - DAW's: PT11 & Reaper; SIIG FireWire 2 Port PCIe DV interface; JBL LSR4328 Monitor & Yamaha HS50 Monitors.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Help with ADAT Setup with 2 Different Brand Interfaces

First things first. how are the Focusrite boxes connected to the computer and to each other? Assuming they both connect with firewire and both sets of IO are available in your DAW; this would be my method to try(given that the Focusrite boxes have no wordclock, I don't honestly know if this bundle of gear will all work together). Connect a lightpipe "cable" from the output of each D8 to the inputs of the 2 Saffires. Then, in your DAW>Hardware setup, set it to use Optical/Adat as the clock source.

Again, since clocking is crucial to successful connections with digital, and you have no way to clock ALL 4 units to a single master, this may not be feasible.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-17-2015, 12:24 PM

The Focusites are all firewire to each other and to the computer. I do have 1 firewire port available (I think) left on my computer. However, the Presonus does not have Firewire.

I tried connecting the ADAT out of one of the Presonus to the ADAT IN of one of the Focusrites, and from ADAT OUT of that focusrite into the other IN of the Focusrite on bottom. This is probably wrong, but I wanted to see if ANYTHING came up in Pro Tools.

I also restarted the computer to see if anything installed, etc. Maybe I need to download a Presonus driver?
DELL Inspiron 3847; Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 - CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s); 16GB Ram; 64 bit - Windows 8.1 - Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (3) - DAW's: PT11 & Reaper; SIIG FireWire 2 Port PCIe DV interface; JBL LSR4328 Monitor & Yamaha HS50 Monitors.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlebox View Post
The Focusites are all firewire to each other and to the computer. I do have 1 firewire port available (I think) left on my computer. However, the Presonus does not have Firewire.

I tried connecting the ADAT out of one of the Presonus to the ADAT IN of one of the Focusrites, and from ADAT OUT of that focusrite into the other IN of the Focusrite on bottom. This is probably wrong, but I wanted to see if ANYTHING came up in Pro Tools.

I also restarted the computer to see if anything installed, etc. Maybe I need to download a Presonus driver?
That's not likely to work. Start simply with a single Pro40 and a single D8. Get that working first. Once that works, add the second Pro40 with a firewire connection only. If THAT works, then add the second D8 to the second Pro40. The beauty of the D8 is that its dirt simple. The ugly of the D8 is that it lacks some clocking options that this setup might need.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-17-2015, 05:31 PM

Right on. Well like I said, I got this as an interface for my reel to reel, bUT figured I may as well try to get it all talking together. Those ADAT cords are fairly inexpensive and supposedly all units are EXPANDABLE. So we'll just see about THAT!
Old 01-23-2015, 02:48 PM
Focusrite

Hi spindlebox,

Unfortunately due to the available connections on both units you will only be able to clock the two pro 40s with only one of the digimax d8s. The two pro 40s should be in dual unit mode and connect the adat out of the d8 to the adat in of the master sync unit and select sync source to adat. If you need any assistance with this configuration please let me know.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:46 AM

Default Help with ADAT Setup with 2 Different Brand Interfaces

Here's the deal:

The D8's need no drivers because they're not an interface.

They're not a mixer either, so there seems to be a bit of confusion in your posts.

Do what the post above says, EXCEPT the D8's have Wordclock in, NOT ADAT Sync.

Use a wordclock device like the BLA or Lucid or, better, a Big Ben.

Connect that to the back of BOTH D8's and set them to External/Wordclock. Then just set the Focusrite's to both sync from ADAT.

Done.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:55 AM

Hello, I KNOW that they're NOT a mixer. A mixer is NOT necessary for what I'm doing. The mixer is the DAW.

I am simply using the Presonus to capture the audio, and then will be using it to go back into the DAW, through my current AI's.

Like I said, if it isn't possible to do this on the cheap, and it's just a matter of convenience, than I don't mind moving a few cables here and there. This Reel-To-Reel isn't going to be my primary recording setup.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:18 PM

I posted above EXACTLY what will work. It's the ONLY way it will work, but it WILL work.

And you used the word mixer. You just seemed very confused. I meant no offense.

Good luck.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:43 AM

Oh! No worries! I will give that a try and see what happens - though I don't know what using 8 tracks will get me, though I suppose it is better than nothing! :) HOwever, I don't think I want to invest in another piece of gear. I would just as soon go ahead and get myself a mixer (yes an external analog mixer with faders, etc.), and hook that up to the reel-to-reel old school style. At the end of the day, if that's what I have to do, I'll go ahead and sell these Presonus units. It shouldn't be too hard.

Thank you for your help in this matter!!!