Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2004, 09:28 AM

Default I Don\'t Believe This-Waves WUP Price Went Up Again

Man oh man! I was just checking the Waves site to see if they had come to their senses, when upon going into my account and checking the "Get WUP" field, my price has gone from $372.49 to $385.15!
Monday, 7-26-04- New WUP-$387.12
unBELIEVABLE!!
I will be selling off my Waves Bundles for sure.
I will now start a new thread with ideas to replace Waves plugins on Windows. The MAC TDM have already started one, but some of those plugins don't work on windows. And to think I was going to get the Transform Bundle and the IR-1 reverb.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:50 AM

Default Re: I Don\'t Believe This...Waves WUP Price Went Up!!!!

Keith, it would be expensive to try if it didn't work...but what if you bought one of the $150 dollar single plugins from their site? Is there a chance that would renew your WUP? If it did work, and you gave tech support a call...they might rethink their wup prices?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:56 AM

Chris, I believe you are correct, if you buy something else, then that does renew your WUP. The problem is after a few years, you'll actually spend more on WUP than you did to buy the plugins.

I've contacted Waves Support 3 times and left a phone message to return my call. I got one email from the first contact that read something to the fact that even Digidesign charges for upgrades.
The WUP is just way to much.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:09 AM

Default Re: I Don\'t Believe This...Waves WUP Price Went Up

I don't know a WUP from a WAP, but I do know I am getting some good mixes using the VST/RTAS adaptor and plenty of free plugins available out there.
Of course, I donate to the makers of the ones I use, but it's more cost effective than Waves.
I've never used a Waves plugin. Why? Price first, copy protection and potential resource hogs second and third.
Doesn't mean I will never use one.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:18 AM

Kieth, I agree...it seems awfully stupid that you'd be able to purchase a single plugin at half the cost of your particular WUP (for tdm guys an even greater reduction in cost) and then be able to receive upgrades for all registered wave plugs. If they lowered the prices by noticing that, great...but more than likely it would mean Plug specific WUP in the future.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:23 AM

And the thing here is, how did my WUP increase over the weekend? Unbelievable.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:26 AM

Educate me, what is "WUP" an acronym for?
Old 07-21-2004, 10:27 AM

They must have read your last thread
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 07-21-2004, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Educate me, what is "WUP" an acronym for?
Waves Update Plan

It's their so called warranty/upgrade plan. It basically lets you know you're only renting the plugins that you thought you bought.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:34 AM

I held out long before I upgraded the last time, so I would be more likely to be within the timeframe (it was so obvious that nothing was going to happend within the year), sadly I missed out on a month! I saw this whole WUP "thang" as a diversion to make you upgrade to the next level and get the WUP for free (- I think the english term would be bogous?).

Answer this please:
* Why do ppl who do such a good product
* have a top notch support
* have good costumer service and costumer contact at events

...ruin all this goodwill that they have built up over the years by such a stunt like the WUP? (...and not inlcuding products coming out during this period?)

If I had a higher post at Waves marketing, I would SERIOSLY consider this strategy. It's one thing selling expensive plugins where the buyer has to decide wether the cost/usefulness ratio is okey and this...

...and beside that there is something seriously wrong when you don't know your geography and since this year want all europeans to pay in Euro - ALSO those where the ppl in referendum has said it wont be a currency in a forseeable future!!!!

(it would be interresting to know if Waves has hired some new "brilliant mind" in the last year or consultant in the last year who need to make a mark of his/her existens in the corporation - this is all to weird...)
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix