Waves Mercury, Izotope 7, Sound Toys V5, Mcdsp Emerald V6

One Has High Sierra, one Mojave.
Brand new Samsung EVO 860 SSD.

I started from Scratch, clean installs.
The High Sierra rig crashes:
Sometimes loading IZotope plugs
Removing waves plugin from and insert
Removing Automation from waves plug.

I don't think I want to update High Sierra Mac to Mojave, because I don't think I can boot into OSX 10.8.5 Drive and Run PT 10 ( need to do this is this room),
I tried holding option key on start on my home rig which is similar, wouldn't see 10.8.5 boot drive
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2020, 04:01 AM

Default Re: 2020.5 - Two Systems, one works works one Crashes

Can't help with the crashes but as to booting into the partition that has OSX 10.8.5 try this: change the startup drive in OSX preferences to the drive you want to boot into and reboot. Similarly when you want to go back to High Sierra or Mojave select that boot drive in OSX prefs and reboot.

QAPLA!
Old 08-11-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuddy3 View Post
Hi,
I have 2 Exact MAC Pro 5,1 12 Cores 2.66 GTX680 4G
Waves Mercury, Izotope 7, Sound Toys V5, Mcdsp Emerald V6

One Has High Sierra, one Mojave.
Brand new Samsung EVO 860 SSD.

I started from Scratch, clean installs.
The High Sierra rig crashes:
Sometimes loading IZotope plugs
Removing waves plugin from and insert
Removing Automation from waves plug.

I don't think I want to update High Sierra Mac to Mojave, because I don't think I can boot into OSX 10.8.5 Drive and Run PT 10 ( need to do this is this room),
I tried holding option key on start on my home rig which is similar, wouldn't see 10.8.5 boot drive
Thanks!
Not sure I follow the boot concern. Is that about the whole drive being converted to APFS? High Sierra should already have you using APFS on an SSD. And boot volumes/partitions are separate from each other. Upgrading one boot volume does not stop you booting off another. But why go there right now when there is other hopefully simple faster troubleshooting to do.

The most obvious cause of "identical" systems behaving very differently are they are just not identical, and beyond OS differences, are plugin versions exactly the same? Sessions exactly the same? Pro Tools preferences identical? Plugin preferences identical? Sessions identical? Interfaces and drivers identical? One system has some other app or utility installed or running etc.

Hopefully you have tried stuff like trashing prefs and working with the same sessions, or starting with empty sessions. Or creating new admin users and testing from those accounts, etc. .... but you can also just make a leap and save time... just clone the working system to a portable SSD and boot off that SSD on the problem system and see if it works. If so then maybe you can just clone that drive over your current boot partition.

Ideally you have upgraded your cheesegraters to USB 3/3.1 PCIe cards to let you boot off a fast external USB drive. Or you can work out another way to do this... ideally initially as a quick test, hopefully not taking much more time than it takes to reboot a system. Ideally you already have an external clone drive because you are making clone backup using Carbon Copy Cloner.

Cloning drive/partitions it *the* way to make sure that identical systems are really as identical as can be, and great time/hassle saver.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:52 PM

Hi,

When booted into High Sierra, the 10.8.5 Boot drive does not appear in start up disk, nor the other way around. That's why I need to hold down the option key at start up and select boot drive

thx
Old 08-11-2020, 08:01 PM

Hi Darryl,
thanks for your comments.

Most are Identical, load same sessions, hardware, plugins are same version, prefs are the same.
"Ideally you have upgraded your cheesegraters to USB 3/3.1 PCIe cards"

I haven't USB 3cards that, Currently Avid PCIE Native cards, PCIE Eth Port, OWC SSD PCI Drive card.
Which one have you used?

When booted into High Sierra, the 10.8.5 Boot drive does not appear in start up disk, nor the other way around. That's why I need to hold down the option key at start up and select boot drive. When I tred this on the Mojave system, 10.8.5 did not appear while holding down the option key at start.
I will experiment some more.
I tried with a different user acount as well

Peace!