Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 05:48 PM

Default New HD rig - advice on which of two

I would appreciate some experienced users advice

I'm putting together a new rig and am stuck on a decision because of money (isnt that always it?)

I can either get an HD3 and use an older model G5 w/ pcie slots :

PROS - I really want an HD3. I do think I could PROBABLY get by w/ an HD2 but I've always dreamed of an HD3. I would also get a slightly better plug-in bundle , including things I use regularily now - like Soundreplacer among others

CONS - the older computer would eventually be worthless and not ultimately as powerful as a new Mac

OR

I could get an HD2 and use it w/ a Mac Pro ( 2.66 w/ 3 gigs of ram )

PROS - a MUCH faster computer w/ a new warranty amd tons of processing power, no fan noise, etc... I would have a little money left over for wiring a new TT paybay, and other unexpected expenses

CONS - smaller plug-in bundle ( meaning I'd need to buy some of the important ones ), less TDM processing and lower track count. I would also have some bugs possibly and would certainly need to update all my current NATIVE plugs I've bought to get them to work w/ an Intel. I'm sure my older version of Reason wouldnt work so I'd have to buy that

I'm so used to LE and its limitations that I dont know what to expect. SO any advice is appreciated
Old 06-08-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: New HD rig - advice on which of two

you said older w/ pcie but did you mean pci-x?

what kind of work do you want to do? (sample rate / track count / ect.) would help us give you advice

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-08-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:

what kind of work do you want to do? (sample rate / track count / ect.) would help us give you advice

I meant "older" as in POST PCI-x but PRE Intel...They made a Dual 2.0, 2.3 , and a Quad 2.5

I have a PCI-x Dual 2.7 that I would essentially sell and buy a PCI-e machine

I do mostly pop / rock w/ track counts up to about 40-45 w/ lotsa different plugs
Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I meant "older" as in POST PCI-x but PRE Intel...They made a Dual 2.0, 2.3 , and a Quad 2.5

I have a PCI-x Dual 2.7 that I would essentially sell and buy a PCI-e machine

I do mostly pop / rock w/ track counts up to about 40-45 w/ lotsa different plugs
Hell, why not just keep the dual 2.7, get the hd3 and have even more cash left. I and many guys i know use just that setup for the same kind of stuff you're doing, or even more orchestral/hybrid scoring type stuff with a bunch of VI's. If you're coming from LE you'll be shocked at how much more dsp headroom you have with the cards take the overwhelming majority of the plug-in load.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:43 PM

if I'm gonna spend roughly 10K on just the cards, I dont wanna buy PCIx if everything is headed to PCIe. Hopefully the HD software / cards will last thru several computers - as my LE software has

dig ??
Old 06-09-2007, 08:10 AM

I would go with an HD2 and a brand new MAc Pro 2.66. Wait a little more and buy additional process cards or Accel cards. Their time is coming also.
I did the same thing, although coming from a mix 4 tdm.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:41 AM

Hi,

in 9 months your new Mac will be an OLD mac. that is just the way it is.

My advice... Get the New Mac and an HD 2 - that will give you the "latest" PCI version of digidesign cards.

You can always go get an extra HD Accell Card in the future.

I use an "OLD" G5 - the fans are NOT loud but very quiet. And my system (OS X PPC) is running very good and I am not running into any Problems.

Good Luck Deciding
Old 06-10-2007, 05:42 AM

Hi, another vote for the New Mac Pro and an HD2. You'll be very happy with the computer speed, it almost makes up for the missing accel card, lol. Maybe that is a stretch, but seriously, they are awesome machines. Go for it!