Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2018, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Will Avid ever invest in new plugins again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
True but the Console1 mk2 is a fantastic unit and priced very good so maybe their daw would be a bit more than logic x however, PT isn't what I call cheap either
Let me repeat that slowly... 300.....for 1 EQ..... :)

Seriously, at this point I much prefer dealing with Avid than learning another DAW. Sometimes it takes me an hour in the morning to click on the icons of the software I have, imagine one I don't know. I even uninstalled a large amount of plugins I don't regularly use.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:51 AM

Inventing and supporting third-party plug-ins is a lot of why Pro Tools became the industry standard. I never heard of anybody getting rich from selling plug-ins.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:18 AM

Default Will Avid ever invest in new plugins again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Inventing and supporting third-party plug-ins is a lot of why Pro Tools became the industry standard.
Yeah back when Waves was the only game in town....I’m sure that helped them.

And it was probably what helped the stability....now days every body and their girlfriend has a plugin, and I don’t imagine that can be great for stability

I think Avid could make some more money selling plugs on a discount, their pro series are fantastic
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:34 AM

The costs involved in developing REALLY great plugins, combined with users expecting to pay $29 for said plugin= not a lot of money to be made doing so. So unless it's your primary focus, and you're small and lean (Softube/PA, etc), if probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

Add to this the technical expertise needed to do it well, which takes years of sustained research, means some exec can't just decide one day to dev a plug and expect it be good. Softube and UA etc have teams of people that live and breath this stuff daily.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post

Also, why not make all Avid plugins compatible with Waves Soundgrid? Why not purchase Slate Plugins and include them in Pro Tools? Or McDSP? Or Softube? Then you'd really have an Ultimate package eh?
This would be a disaster purchasing another developer's plugins. Remember Camel Audio? You know they got purchased by Apple and as I understand it those plugins are only available in Logic - somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Say Avid buys Slate? What's to say those plugins will still be available in other plugin formats? Like au or vst?

And if Avid made their plugins compatible with Soundgrid that would undercut the value of HDX cards. You think Avid doesn't have cash flow issues now?

QAPLA!
Old 04-15-2018, 06:02 AM

I personally think the current lineup of avid effect plugins are pretty good. As others have said, the pro series plugins are excellent. I also use reverb one a lot, it might just be the familiarity of using it for 15+ years, but I can get the sound I am looking for with it very quickly compared to other reverbs.

If AVID were to put any energy into new plugins, I think virtual instruments would be the place to go. If they went this route, they would need to also involve some serious updates to the MIDI side of pro tools. Some fresh VI's with good integration into Pro Tools would be a very welcome update.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 04-15-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
If AVID were to put any energy into new plugins, I think virtual instruments would be the place to go. If they went this route, they would need to also involve some serious updates to the MIDI side of pro tools. Some fresh VI's with good integration into Pro Tools would be a very welcome update.
^^^ This.^^^

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-15-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
The costs involved in developing REALLY great plugins, combined with users expecting to pay $29 for said plugin= not a lot of money to be made doing so. So unless it's your primary focus, and you're small and lean (Softube/PA, etc), if probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

Add to this the technical expertise needed to do it well, which takes years of sustained research, means some exec can't just decide one day to dev a plug and expect it be good. Softube and UA etc have teams of people that live and breath this stuff daily.
I for one would rather see Avid concentrate on stability and perhaps more efficient CPU usage..... Right now between Avids Bundled , Waves Platinum (purchased years ago ) and slaving Reason to PT, I have more plugins than I will probably ever even try, let alone use.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-16-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
My 2 cents.

You want Avid making Pro Tools, not plugins, just like you want Softube making plugins not a DAW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Risberg View Post
I’m with Drew.
I'm with Drew too..........Only I'm still waiting for Avid to 'Make' Pro Tools into something more worthwhile....considering all the ignored ideas on ideascale.

PT is still what it's always been, a great program but it could be so much better. Forget plugins Avid, 'Let's make PT great again'

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 04-17-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Imagine the price of a DAW made by a company that charges 300 for an EQ!
um, Avid does sell EQ plugins for $300... Pultec bundle $299, Focusrite D2/D3 $299, Joemeek Bundle $299.