Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-03-2018, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Best DNxHR Preset for working with video in Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
At 1920x1080 DNxHD 36 is your best bet.

That’s what I thought. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-05-2018, 05:31 PM

DNxHD 36 is good but it has a draw back in that is a "Progressive" only format that does not handle interlace video.
All of the DnxHR range handle either Progressive and Interlace formats. As pointed out earlier in the thread HR formats can be any resolution. So you can use one codec for your media needs from the ancient Standard def 720 right through to 4K.

The HR file sizes are not that enormous. Yesterday a 10 minute standard def clip clip produced a 2GB file in DNxHR HQ. A LB version was a quarter of that size which is roughly equivalent to DV file sizes. I used HQ as I could then supply the same video file to both Colourist and Audio Post.
FWIW my not particularly powerful PC here running W10 and PT 2018.1 HD had no trouble playing this DNxHR HQ file. Admittedly this is only a simple 16 track session at present.

Andrew
Old 03-06-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAction View Post
DNxHD 36 is good but it has a draw back in that is a "Progressive" only format that does not handle interlace video.
All of the DnxHR range handle either Progressive and Interlace formats. As pointed out earlier in the thread HR formats can be any resolution. So you can use one codec for your media needs from the ancient Standard def 720 right through to 4K.

The HR file sizes are not that enormous. Yesterday a 10 minute standard def clip clip produced a 2GB file in DNxHR HQ. A LB version was a quarter of that size which is roughly equivalent to DV file sizes. I used HQ as I could then supply the same video file to both Colourist and Audio Post.
FWIW my not particularly powerful PC here running W10 and PT 2018.1 HD had no trouble playing this DNxHR HQ file. Admittedly this is only a simple 16 track session at present.

Andrew
But for ref playback it doesn't matter if it's progressive only. Most workflows send a different video to audio as to the colourist. DNxHR only officially supports HD resolutions as proxies in 4K projects. For HD Avid still recommended DNxHD and in projects which are HD only resolutions you can't choose DNxHR as your editing CODEC.

HQ is overkill for audio post especially if running large sessions, I frequently run over 100 tracks even for very short things, hence DNxHD 36. If an editor sent me the same file as the colourist I'd transcode to something smaller.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...Specifications

* HD resolutions are only available as a proxy setting in a High-Resolution project. There is no way to select DNxHR resolutions from within a HD project-type.

Last edited by tom_lowe; 03-06-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:36 PM

Everyone develops their own workflows that work for them. I am saying that the DNxHR is a viable option for folk with a variety of workflows
Quote:
But for ref playback it doesn't matter if it's progressive only.
But when asking an MC editor for DNxHD36 they cannot easily export to this format from an interlace project DNx HD 85 is smallest easily available to them.
Quote:
Most workflows send a different video to audio as to the colourist
Yes but the MC editor sending different formats is probable the same so in life here I can send DNxHR LO to audio Post then DNxHR HQ (12bit) or DNxHR 444 to the colourist.
Quote:
DNxHR only officially supports HD resolutions as proxies in 4K projects. For HD Avid still recommended DNxHD and in projects which are HD only resolutions you can't choose DNxHR as your editing CODEC.
As an MC editor my MC edit format is irrelevant to the Output (export) format I need to deliver to Audio post.
Quote:
HQ is overkill for audio post especially if running large sessions, I frequently run over 100 tracks even for very short things, hence DNxHD 36
I only used HQ as an example of one I had just done. It went to a Colourist. FYI I Output from MC this morning a 1 minute file to DNxHD 36 and then to DNxHR LO. File sizes DNxHD 36 was 317 MB's. DNxHR LO was 315 MB's.
Quote:
*HD resolutions are only available as a proxy setting in a High-Resolution project. There is no way to select DNxHR resolutions from within a HD project-type*
For the video editor neither of these restrictions are relevant. What maters is that the MC editor can export DNxHR LO files to Audio Post from any MC timeline resolution.(SD through to 4K.)
IMO the answers above all used here show that DNxHR LO would be a reasonable option for some Audio post situations.

Andrew
Old 03-06-2018, 04:30 PM

The códecs that we use are changing all the time and there are good things that matters from the workflow perspective.
I think that if this new one is better for all the folks involved in the post process, let’s work for the team and use the best option within any project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Everyone develops their own workflows that work for them. I am saying that the DNxHR is a viable option for folk with a variety of workflows
But when asking an MC editor for DNxHD36 they cannot easily export to this format from an interlace project DNx HD 85 is smallest easily available to them.
Yes but the MC editor sending different formats is probable the same so in life here I can send DNxHR LO to audio Post then DNxHR HQ (12bit) or DNxHR 444 to the colourist. As an MC editor my MC edit format is irrelevant to the Output (export) format I need to deliver to Audio post. I only used HQ as an example of one I had just done. It went to a Colourist. FYI I Output from MC this morning a 1 minute file to DNxHD 36 and then to DNxHR LO. File sizes DNxHD 36 was 317 MB's. DNxHR LO was 315 MB's.
For the video editor neither of these restrictions are relevant. What maters is that the MC editor can export DNxHR LO files to Audio Post from any MC timeline resolution.(SD through to 4K.)
IMO the answers above all used here show that DNxHR LO would be a reasonable option for some Audio post situations.

Andrew
By LO do you mean LB? I'm fully aware editing and delivery CODECs can be different, but everything I've read says DNxHR is for resolutions above 1080p, not 1080p and below as well.

Are you saying it's resolution independent like ProRes?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
By LO do you mean LB?
Yes.
Quote:
Are you saying it's resolution independent like ProRes?
For Outputting (new name for Export in MC) yes. I can and have Exported from MC projects from Standard Def through to UHD format to DNxHR LB codec where I set my desired resolution to any standard video format. (I have exported to these SD, HD, 2K, UHD).
I have not looked at the possibilities for non standard video resolutions but in your choice of codec is a Custom option that may do this. (It works for non standard sizes with other codecs like MP4)
Attached file shows export option of DNxHR LB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sd Export 2 DNxHR LB.jpg (44.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by AndrewAction; 03-07-2018 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added note for attachment
Old 03-09-2018, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Yes.
For Outputting (new name for Export in MC) yes. I can and have Exported from MC projects from Standard Def through to UHD format to DNxHR LB codec where I set my desired resolution to any standard video format. (I have exported to these SD, HD, 2K, UHD).
I have not looked at the possibilities for non standard video resolutions but in your choice of codec is a Custom option that may do this. (It works for non standard sizes with other codecs like MP4)
Attached file shows export option of DNxHR LB
Good to know. I'm not an MC user and my current clients aren't either, but good to know this is a future option
Old 03-10-2018, 03:50 PM

I've made this little "app" converter for mac users. It uses ffmpeg, converting any file to apple pro res proxy. For now the app can't work with path and files that have SPACES between letters.
Create a folder at the root of you volume with the name Convert and rename the file if have spaces.

Download here

Hope it helps.

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro