Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2017, 01:51 PM

Default Re: AAE 9173, close to a solution !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
ah damn ... i was not sure which model of macbook you had .. good thought on the screen brightness .. i adjust anything i can manually ..
Yep I've disabled it, let's see if it works...
Old 09-18-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilla View Post
Yep I've disabled it, let's see if it works...
Didn't worked at all...
Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 AM

Today, I opened the same session which caused massive trouble yesterday and which I wasn't able to playback more than a few seconds at a time.

This Session seemed to play properly for about 15-20 Minutes (put it on a loop). I haven't done anything else with my Computer. Then the 9173 Error occured again and I was again unable to play more than a few seconds before the Error shows up again.
Minimizing all Windows didn't help. The Error stayed for a while. Then I let the Computer alone for a while and now I am playing back the same Session while I write this Post. And for a few minutes it's playing ok now. The Cpu Load in Pro Tools shows about 40%-50%.

My 4 Cores show different Values in Pro Tools. They're about 20%,30%,25%,18% in Average while playing back this session. Strange thing is that the Second Core is always the Highest. The CPU Load in the Windows Diagnosticstool is about 25% which seems to be accurate when taking the Numbers of each Core Pro Tools is showing.

When I first tried to narrow down the Reason for the Error I tried to stressing the CPU with just one brand of Plugins. Strange thing was when I only used Avid Plugins I could stress the CPU up to about 75-80% before the 9173 Error occured. Then I tried just using the Slate Plugins I own and I could only Stress the Cpu to about 40-50% before I got that Error again. With my Waves Plugins it is similar. They mostly start also at about 35-40%. That seems to be the magic Number when the Error occurs. Until the overall CPU Load Pro Tools displays hits 30% everything seems to be fine.

After that there is a big Chance of running into -9173. SO I think this isn't a problem of one Specific Plugin or a Computer Hardware Issue. I guess it's kinda a mixture of all of that.

When I find the time this week I will try another Graphic Card and see if the Error get smaller or dissapears. Maybe I also try the Onboard GPU Chip.

P.S.: While I am just listening to Music thru the VLC right now and answering some Mails while my Browser and Pro Tools Session is open I realize that suddenly I get some cracks and Pops here and there. And of course Pro Tools is the Reason. The Session is sitting still for quite a wile now and the CPU Load is acting all crazy now. The Display jumps to 100% then it clicks and Pops and then it goes back to normal for a while. Of course there is no 9173 Error cause Pro Tools isn't playing anything back.

And of course the Clicks and Pops were gone instantly when I closed pro Tools.

Heavy Greetz

Last edited by EachHit; 09-19-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EachHit View Post
Today, I opened the same session which caused massive trouble yesterday and which I wasn't able to playback more than a few seconds at a time.

This Session seemed to play properly for about 15-20 Minutes (put it on a loop). I haven't done anything else with my Computer. Then the 9173 Error occured again and I was again unable to play more than a few seconds before the Error shows up again.
Minimizing all Windows didn't help. The Error stayed for a while. Then I let the Computer alone for a while and now I am playing back the same Session while I write this Post. And for a few minutes it's playing ok now. The Cpu Load in Pro Tools shows about 40%-50%.

My 4 Cores show different Values in Pro Tools. They're about 20%,30%,25%,18% in Average while playing back this session. Strange thing is that the Second Core is always the Highest. The CPU Load in the Windows Diagnosticstool is about 25% which seems to be accurate when taking the Numbers of each Core Pro Tools is showing.

When I first tried to narrow down the Reason for the Error I tried to stressing the CPU with just one brand of Plugins. Strange thing was when I only used Avid Plugins I could stress the CPU up to about 75-80% before the 9173 Error occured. Then I tried just using the Slate Plugins I own and I could only Stress the Cpu to about 40-50% before I got that Error again. With my Waves Plugins it is similar. They mostly start also at about 35-40%. That seems to be the magic Number when the Error occurs. Until the overall CPU Load Pro Tools displays hits 30% everything seems to be fine.

After that there is a big Chance of running into -9173. SO I think this isn't a problem of one Specific Plugin or a Computer Hardware Issue. I guess it's kinda a mixture of all of that.

When I find the time this week I will try another Graphic Card and see if the Error get smaller or dissapears. Maybe I also try the Onboard GPU Chip.

P.S.: While I am just listening to Music thru the VLC right now and answering some Mails while my Browser and Pro Tools Session is open I realize that suddenly I get some cracks and Pops here and there. And of course Pro Tools is the Reason. The Session is sitting still for quite a wile now and the CPU Load is acting all crazy now. The Display jumps to 100% then it clicks and Pops and then it goes back to normal for a while. Of course there is no 9173 Error cause Pro Tools isn't playing anything back.

And of course the Clicks and Pops were gone instantly when I closed pro Tools.

Heavy Greetz
to address one part .. when One Core is higher than the others .. it is usually caused by a PLugin that onlny works on One Core at a time .. the ones that cannot be spread across multiple cores is what i mean ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 09-19-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
to address one part .. when One Core is higher than the others .. it is usually caused by a PLugin that onlny works on One Core at a time .. the ones that cannot be spread across multiple cores is what i mean ..
Thanks,

that's what I just read while browsing through some threads regarding the 9173 Issue.
I also downloaded this one Avid Sesssion from this Thread:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=392778&page=11

Much more even CPU Load (altogether about 80%) but still 9173 which seems very ridicolous cause what are the Plugins doing when there is no Audio being played?

As I was browsing through some threads regarding the 9173 Error it's interesting to read how many different Issues there are. I personally never had problems while recording, editing oder doing very small Sessions. It only happens for me when I am mixing quite heavily. I have Pro Tools 12 running on another Computer which is an AMD FX 6300 and I only use normal SATA Harddisks for the OS and Recording Drive.
And I could easily record about 24 Tracks in 24Bit and 48kHz without any Trouble in Pro Tools 12.

Heavy Greetz
Old 09-19-2017, 11:51 AM

Keep use updated about your change in Graphic Card.

Personally I've tried everything and I'm pretty sure now that, in my case, it has nothing to do with any third party plugins.

It's really the MIX / EDIT windows that seems to screw up everything.
And the more busses / auxes I had, the more I have the chance to have CPU spikes. I'm not sure about that but I think so as cpu spikes are quite heavy when I start to create the Mix Bus aux track. But that could be also just because I usually to that at the end of the session.

Do anyone know if there is a chance to make someone from Avid chiming in here ? It's a shame that I had to create almost 3 thread about that and didn't even had any sign of attention from them.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:02 AM

We are close a solution guys !! Just need a little help (Avid could have given if they acted like any normal brand).
Old 09-30-2017, 09:07 PM

Please see post 796

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...=1#post2451950
Old 11-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder6oy View Post
I think that I tried the Suggestion from that Post. Don't know if I did everything correctly cause English isn't my Main Language.
I removed all Connections from my Busses to my Master Bus. So there is no Audio being played out of my Monitors. But I still got the 9173 Errors.

The Project I am working on right now has about 27 Auditracks. Mostly Monotracks and about 13 AuxTracks. Only 3 Aux Tracks are going to the Masterbus.

I was able to mix this Project for a while and had absolutely no Problem. I mixed Drums and Guitars. I had a few Plugs on the Masterbus. But the 9173 started exactly at the Time I put the Waves C4 on it. But my overall CPU Load was only by about 30%. I tried to minimize all Windows but that was no help. I even removed the Plugin again from the Masterbus. But the Spikes were still there. After I saved the Session and reopened it then it seemed to be working again. Then I put the FabFilter MB on the Masterbus and the same Problem started again.

After that i removed FabFilter and restarted Pro Tools. Then I tried LinMB and magically I could put on JST Clip, FabFilter Pro-L and LL-Utramaximizer and I had NO Errors. STRANGE
Then I removed the LinMB and put the C4 on exactly the same Position as LinMB was and what should I say. NO 9173 Errors.
My CPU Load in PT is about 33% right now.
For me that makes absolutely no Sense cause I can't reproduce the Error with 100% certainty.

Maybe I can try out to use a 1080 GPU this week and see what happens with that Session.

Heavy Greetz
Old 11-14-2017, 07:32 AM

I thought I would throw this out there but it may only help the Windows users. I wouldn’t know how to do this on a Mac. My friend was having these 9173 errors and we found a solution that works on his computer using Windows 10. It had to do with the power settings in the bios. He has a Asus X99 motherboard. The 2 things we did to optimize were this. First in the motherboard bios disable Turbo Boost. This causes the computer CPU to speed up during higher workloads. The second thing was disable all the C State power settings in your bios such as C1, C3, C5, and C7 or whatever ones your bios has. Different motherboards may have more or less of them in the bios options but disable the ones you have. They also control power during more or less usage and this varying seems like it messes with Protools in our case. I did this on my Gigabyte machine that I built and right from the start I have not had any 9173 issues. My friend and I are both running PT 12.7.1 now with no trouble on Windows 10. I’m no expert on this by any means and I’m sure there could be many reasons for 9173 errors but it seemed to help us. I hope it helps someone else.