Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2011, 03:04 AM

Cool Instrumental and vocal recording distorting together

Heys guys, just wondering what may be causing this problem as i have never encountered it before, the louder parts of me singing distort when im recording with the beat and obviously during plackback aswell, if i solo either of the two and play them back the signal is fine with no distortion at all i even tried doing the same vocal take louder with no beat and theres no distortion at all, for some reason when i combine the two together i am having this problem, could it be my headphones(40$ panasonic things) not being able to handle the output or does the problem lie elsewhere?

p.s i havent tried seeing if the problem exists using my monitors cause its late as heck and i cant wake up the household lol.

thanks heeps in advance.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Instrumental and vocal recording distorting together

Do you have a master fader track or something to monitor how high your signal is before it leaves PT?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewoods View Post
Do you have a master fader track or something to monitor how high your signal is before it leaves PT?
i usually dont add a master fader till i start mixing, the vocal signal will definitely be peaking but it is with every other song ive done aswell and i havent experienced this problem before, it puzzles me why its not distorting at all when i play the vocal on its own but as soon as i play it with the beat certain parts do, any ideas what it could be? because the beats are particularly loud ive always got the faders for my vocals right up so i can hear myself good with the beat but like i said ive been doing that all along, on the vocal track level itself the input levels frequently in the yellow but never too close to the red.

cheers.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:50 AM

You can group all your channels and pull all the faders down. But, I'd have a master fader there from the beginning. You may have some very low frequencies which you are not hearing, but which cause the level to get pushed over full scale.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:49 PM

If the vocal signal is loud and is peaking (or almost peaking) and the beat is also loud then the two combined are obviously going to be VERY loud so you are peaking the output of the two.... like said above a master fader turned down would be the easy option

or

instead of turning the vocals right up to hear them over the beat why dont you turn the beat down instead? I'm sure this will fix your problem
Old 10-14-2011, 04:41 PM

Master fader should always be the first track u create in any session...
Old 10-14-2011, 07:10 PM

Master Fader, for me anyway, is left at zero - no adjustment to the volume. The tracks individually are lowered or raised or tracks are grouped and lowered or raised so that the mix sounds correct, but the Master is not clipped.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-16-2011, 11:57 AM

yes never adjust the master adjust ur mix
Old 10-16-2011, 05:44 PM

A master fader adjustment should only be one extra calculation.... should not be a problem at all.