Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-22-2020, 03:56 AM

Default Re: NAMM new HDX or nothing!!!

I asked a (afaik) well informed Avid rep last week about an HDX successor. Said there was nothing on the horizon, or at least not high priority or anything soon.

Personally I wouldn't invest in HDX anymore (I'm in post) unless I would need the IO.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It all comes down to how far the developer wants to tune the plugin. Avid "standard" latency is 10 samples, and more if the algorithm needs that (f.ex Pro Subharmonic 394 samples).

Don't know why the new DSP is "slower" than TDM, which had 4 samples "standard" latency. For comparison ReVibe TDM had 4 sample latency but ReVibe AAXDSP has 66 sample latency. There must be some timing issue with how AAXDSP addresses its memory, compared to TDM. Only explanation I can come up with.

Theoretically you always need one sample for reading in, one sample for processing, one sample for writing out. So those old 4 sample TDM plugs were pretty damn awesome -- only one sample shy from perfect.

So yes, AAX-DSP XL or whatever it would be called is way overdue. I cannot see myself putting my money into these +8 year old cards today because either the cards are going to be updated or going away soon, and neither scenario encourages me to invest.
Couldn't agree more Please sell Avid to competent company.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
I asked a (afaik) well informed Avid rep last week about an HDX successor. Said there was nothing on the horizon, or at least not high priority or anything soon.

Personally I wouldn't invest in HDX anymore (I'm in post) unless I would need the IO.
Concur
Old 02-09-2020, 08:00 AM

Yep, it's looking like Avid might be done with HDX.....

Was hoping for an update for tracking purpose.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
But ironically now the Mac Pro has (once more) slots in which to put it.
Can still be very useful for those wanting the computer close by (mac pros are essentially silent now) but not the noise of HDX.. you could run a quality thunderbolt cable and have the rack far away.. I am planning on a HDX2 to start with the goal of going to 3, and I specifically want to do it via expansion chassis so I can keep the noise away from me, as I need access to the computer much more than I do a hdx card.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It all comes down to how far the developer wants to tune the plugin. Avid "standard" latency is 10 samples, and more if the algorithm needs that (f.ex Pro Subharmonic 394 samples).

Don't know why the new DSP is "slower" than TDM, which had 4 samples "standard" latency. For comparison ReVibe TDM had 4 sample latency but ReVibe AAXDSP has 66 sample latency. There must be some timing issue with how AAXDSP addresses its memory, compared to TDM. Only explanation I can come up with.

Theoretically you always need one sample for reading in, one sample for processing, one sample for writing out. So those old 4 sample TDM plugs were pretty damn awesome -- only one sample shy from perfect.

So yes, AAX-DSP XL or whatever it would be called is way overdue. I cannot see myself putting my money into these +8 year old cards today because either the cards are going to be updated or going away soon, and neither scenario encourages me to invest.
Wow, slower.....Avid should sell company........
Old 03-08-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post

Can CubasePro work with HDX card? Anybody running......
Old 03-08-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
Can CubasePro work with HDX card? Anybody running......
Why couldn't it? Just install HD Driver and be done with it.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:47 PM

If I purchase a used HDX card off of Ebay I can just download driver?
Old 03-08-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
If I purchase a used HDX card off of Ebay I can just download driver?
Driver comes with every PT installer. There is some additional content in there, not just installer.