Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2013, 09:29 AM

Default 11.0.2 TC/E - odd bounces

Got excited when I saw that they added back Time Compression Expansion in PT 11.0.2, re-written for the new architecture. Even more excited when I saw how much faster it processes audio.

Quickly realized that it's just doing this wrong. I work for a small audio book studio and we only process 1 mono track of audio at a time. We conform most tracks to a set length (89:30), hence the need for TC/E. Anyway, 11.0.2 TCE processes some of the audio, but mostly just creates blank silence. Have checked my settings a bunch of times. No changes fix this. Anyone experiencing this or something similar? Basically can't use PT 11 until this is resolved. Side note: don't have problems/errors doing this on PT 10 and below, it's just not as fast.

Here's some pics:

Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 PM

Default Re: 11.0.2 TC/E - odd bounces

Does the same thing happen when you consolidate the clips on the destination track prior to using TC/E?

EDIT: Said source, meant destination
Old 10-30-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Does the same thing happen when you consolidate the clips on the source track prior to using TC/E?
Yes, which makes this even more odd!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:15 PM

Wanted to add that I've fully uninstalled and reinstalled 11, which has no affect. This is also on Windows 7, btw
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM

Looks to me like the destination waveform is offset from the source waveform. Switch to Slip mode, drag out the start and end of the clip.

Is it possible that TC/E rendered the clip properly up to a point, but set an incorrect length?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Looks to me like the destination waveform is offset from the source waveform. Switch to Slip mode, drag out the start and end of the clip.

Is it possible that TC/E rendered the clip properly up to a point, but set an incorrect length?
Not sure I understand what you mean. Isn't the offset a natural consequence of TC/E? Unless of course you're compressing it to the exact same length...
Old 10-30-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingbooks View Post
Not sure I understand what you mean. Isn't the offset a natural consequence of TC/E? Unless of course you're compressing it to the exact same length...
What I mean is that it's obvious TC/E bugged out, but what happens when you select the rendered clip and drag the start and end handles out?

What I'm getting at is that the waveform doesn't look like it corresponds, even considering the offset induced by stretching. If TC/E rendered and then adjusted the clip length, your stretched audio might exist in the file, just outside the clip boundaries. Of course this probably isn't the case, but I'm flying blind here.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
What I mean is that it's obvious TC/E bugged out, but what happens when you select the rendered clip and drag the start and end handles out?

What I'm getting at is that the waveform doesn't look like it corresponds, even considering the offset induced by stretching. If TC/E rendered and then adjusted the clip length, your stretched audio might exist in the file, just outside the clip boundaries. Of course this probably isn't the case, but I'm flying blind here.
Just checked. Can't stretch the boundaries of the rendered audio.

Also wanted to note that this isn't a consistent problem across sessions and tracks. I tried the 3rd track in those pictures and that one was fine. However, reopening and trying again produces the same results, so it's selectively doing this. Based on what, who knows!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:54 PM

Have you tried consolidating the edit source track - make a duplicate the consolidate so as not to loose your edits - and using the actual TCE tool rather than the Audiosuite process? or even trying Elastic Audio? Also may pay to check the "handle" length in the PT prefs, the default is 2 secs, this can sometimes cause weirdness with various TCE type plugs, change it to zero and see what happens.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF Media View Post
Have you tried consolidating the edit source track - make a duplicate the consolidate so as not to loose your edits - and using the actual TCE tool rather than the Audiosuite process? or even trying Elastic Audio? Also may pay to check the "handle" length in the PT prefs, the default is 2 secs, this can sometimes cause weirdness with various TCE type plugs, change it to zero and see what happens.
Just tried that. That sort of works (using the tool), however it cuts off a small bit of the audio at the end. Not usable. It also takes longer to process using the tool in PT 11.0.2 than the Audiosuite TC/E plugin in PT 10.3.6.

As for the handle length, I've always had it set to 0.00 in the preferences. Changing that number (default 2.00 for example) or using Whole File doesn't change anything.

This has to be a bug, right?