Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 PM

Angry Problem with Instrument track and midi info

Hi guys...I've only posted on this board a few times so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section or using inaccurate wording.

I'm using Protools 7LE on a Mac powerbook. I'm trying to record midi into an instrument track using Reason 3. When I record a take, it doesn't seem to be recording the Midi into the Protools track. In order to get any midi sound to record, I have to push the RECORD button in Reason. So, the midi info seems to be recording in Reason but not protools.

The midi "bars" from my performance shows up in the protools instrument track but I cannot manipulate the midi info in protools. For example, if I try to duplicate or loop the midi info in protools, the looped regions do not play. Also, when I use the grabber tool, I'm unable to play the individual notes when I click on the various bars.

I just watched the METHOD 1 DVD and it seems that I'm setting up the instrument track the right way (and I've done it in the past), but now I'm stuck and quite frustrated. I just want to be able to use Reason to play keyboards etc. into my project and then be able to manipulate the midi info (duplicate regions, quantize etc.)

Can someone please throw some tips my way? [email protected]

Thanks!

Ryan
Old 09-16-2008, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Problem with Instrument track and midi info

An instrument track is like a combo midi and aux track. I use instrument tracks when I want to have midi notes and a plugin (drums, synth, etc) on the same track. What plugin do you have loaded on the instrument track? Is there anywhere you can post a screenshot?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 AM

Sounds like Reason is using your MIDI controller, rather than Pro Tools.

Are you using Reason via Rewire into Pro Tools?

Do you have your MIDI input set correctly on your instrument track in Pro Tools?

Can you write in your MIDI data using the pencil tool in Pro Tools and get Reason to play the MIDI?

Old 09-16-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedGuy View Post
Sounds like Reason is using your MIDI controller, rather than Pro Tools.

Are you using Reason via Rewire into Pro Tools?

Do you have your MIDI input set correctly on your instrument track in Pro Tools?

Can you write in your MIDI data using the pencil tool in Pro Tools and get Reason to play the MIDI?

Maybe you are right here. I am using Reason via Rewire. I have my outpout in the small rewire window set to Mix L R. I get levels in protools when I push on the keys to my midi controller (oxygen 8). I believe I do have my midi input set correctly on the instrument track as I've followed the directions according to the Protools Method 1 instruction DVD. In the instrument column I have the input set to oxygen 8 and the output set to the device that I'm using in reason (NNXT SAMPLER).

So, when I do a take, I get midi data to appear in protools, but I can't manipulate it. I can try to manipulate it but the corresponding recorded midi data in Reason 3 doesn't change when I try to manipulate the data in protools.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Ryan
Old 09-16-2008, 08:32 AM

Are you loading Reason before Pro Tools? Because you shouldn't if you are. Load Pro Tools first, otherwise Reason will poach the MIDI keyboard before Pro Tools, then add your Rewire plug-in to an instrument track.

When using Rewire, the MIDI data should be recorded into Pro Tools, with no data recorded within Reason itself, so if you're getting MIDI data in Reason then something is wrong, probably the reason stated above.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:37 PM

Thanks for this tip although I have tried it both ways (opening protools before reason). I'm getting midi data in Reason only when I activate the record button in Reason. This is the only way that I can get any of my performance to record so that it can be heard upon playback.

Any other thoughts?
Old 09-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Avid

In Reason Preferences, make sure you disable any inputs on the MIDI page...
Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 PM

I'm having a similar issue but perhaps unrelated. This is on my PTLE 7.4 rig. It works fine on my HD2 rig.

I can record MIDI notes in PT with my Axiom keyboard but get no audio.
I can see the MIDI notes being written, but can't hear the results from Reason when I press a key.
Once I've finished recording, I can play what I just recorded and hear the result from Reason just fine. I can draw with a pencil tool and hear the midi as I click.
It makes no difference if I turn on auto-input monitoring or not.

I have disabled all MIDI inputs in Reason. If I enable them I'm able to hear what I'm playing as I'm playing it down but of course the MIDI is going to Reason, not into the instrument track in PT.

It's meant that, more than once, I've given up on trying to record MIDI in PT and just opened Ableton Live where the midi inputs work fine while rewired.

Any ideas?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Avid

Yes - try assigning a valid analog input on the track that has the Reason plug-in on it.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:10 PM

Really?
That easy? - I'll give it a try!
Thanks.