Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-30-2006, 09:32 PM

Default *Noob* I have a few questions

Ok...I got a 002 with Pro Tools 6.7, running off of my Sony Vaio PC...Im VERY new at this so I have a few questions

1. I see alot of professionals using 2 screens in Pro Tools...lol...how do I do that?
2. I record mostly vocals...and when I have people come in to record...for example they record the chorus to a song, Ive seen people use a feature that you can automatically place the hook 16 bars without trying to line anything up at all! ! ! I know you have to know the tempo but thats all
3. Again I have 6.7 and everytime I boot up Pro Tools I get 3 screens for different filters and effects and what not, and the trials have ran out...Im completely blind to this, I bought the iLok thinking that was gonna solve my problems...little do I know I still need the " Authorization Cards " for my iLok, for each bundle. Where would I come across this? Do I have to spend more money?? haha
4. And I just bought my first house, and the basement is COMPLETELY unfinished...absolutly nothing is done! And me and my neighbor are going to build a studio...Just looking for ANY USEFULL tips on doing so...maybe materials, how much padding in the booth to use, whats a good measurement for a booth used for vocals ONLY! Any info would help...

Your help is GREATLY appreciated in advance
Old 06-30-2006, 09:56 PM

Default Re: *Noob* I have a few questions

Quote:

1. I see alot of professionals using 2 screens in Pro Tools...lol...how do I do that?

you need two monitors and a graphics card which supports two monitor outputs or two
graphics cards.

Quote:

2. I record mostly vocals...and when I have people come in to record...for example they record the chorus to a song, Ive seen people use a feature that you can automatically place the hook 16 bars without trying to line anything up at all! ! ! I know you have to know the tempo but thats all

once you set the tempo in the session, you can punch in anywhere you wish. there is no
"auto-hook" feature ... just like there's no "suck less" plug-in.

Quote:

3. Again I have 6.7 and everytime I boot up Pro Tools I get 3 screens for different filters and effects and what not, and the trials have ran out...Im completely blind to this, I bought the iLok thinking that was gonna solve my problems...little do I know I still need the " Authorization Cards " for my iLok, for each bundle. Where would I come across this? Do I have to spend more money?? haha

if you didn't pay for the demos, what were you expecting exactly? uninstall them.

Quote:

4. And I just bought my first house, and the basement is COMPLETELY unfinished...absolutly nothing is done! And me and my neighbor are going to build a studio...Just looking for ANY USEFULL tips on doing so...maybe materials, how much padding in the booth to use, whats a good measurement for a booth used for vocals ONLY! Any info would help...

studio design is a huge topic. from your above questions .. wait a while ... any money you
spend now will be wasted... not being mean .. just honest. get to know protools and
digital recording *before* you attempt to build a studio. even pros hire acoustic engineers
to help design their spaces ... "don't try this at home."

jeff
Old 06-30-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Basically if you have 2 monitors hooked up to the computer, you click on that middle (minimize, maximize, close) button in the upper right-hand corner of the window so that it is just one box - instead of the 2 overlapping boxes. And then you just stretch the window out over to ther other monitor. Then you can place the other windows - mix, etc. - wherever you want.

Quote:
Huh? Place the hook 16 bars? What does that mean?

As for the other stuff - I don't use iLok and I have full versions of all my plug-ins, so I can't help you too much there. As for the studio - there are a lot (probably hundreds) of books out there about studio design and construction. That might be a little more involved than a forum post can handle.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2006, 11:27 PM

I won't get into the should you start building a studio now or wait discussion. I will point you to the following web site that offers some very useful ideas. It may or may not be what you are asking for in terms of studio design ideas.

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 07-01-2006, 05:26 AM

Well honestly Im not getting into a HUGE project...Im only gonna have a nice set up! Im really not gonna get too crazy with it. I just have alot of people around here that LOVE to record, and they LOVE to pay me So I'm trying to make a real comfortable setting, thats all
Old 07-01-2006, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Well honestly Im not getting into a HUGE project...Im only gonna have a nice set up! Im really not gonna get too crazy with it. I just have alot of people around here that LOVE to record, and they LOVE to pay me So I'm trying to make a real comfortable setting, thats all
LOVE to pay you .. see .. this is the problem .. once you build the studio .. the
weirdest thing will happen ... the LOVE will be gone ... poof .. you'll be calling
collection agencies and stockpiling "beer in lieu of cash" proceeds.

jeff
Old 07-01-2006, 09:38 AM

with the name k-otik, is that russ?
i have never worried too much about the dual monitors.
click "control and +" to toggle between the mix and edit windows.
learn your keyboard shortcuts asap. there are also tons of
books out there and dvd's now.

i think the feature you are talking about is the grid mode.
if you are working on the grid mode at a specified tempo,
then it is very easy to copy and paste your "hook" throughout the song.
just get one perfect chorus and paste it. you can do lots of
arranging on the grid.

ugrade to 7.1. you may have to pay, but it will be worth it.
the plug in set that comes with pro tools should keep you busy.

if you are recording mostly vocals, it is not that big of a deal
to transform your basement into a small studio setup.

check out some of the auralex packages. they come with instructions
on how to set them up.

good luck.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:

I have fun when clients see me do this(they act as if I have created a new invention)

Anyway
(1)group your chorus tracks together
(2)in the edit screen select "slip" mode...
(3)click the icon to the left of the grabber (I don't know what's it's called)
(4)click on the grid right before the leading edge where the chorus starts

Let's assume that the chorus is 8 bars and the verses are 16 bars

(5)at the top of the screen in the main transport section type in 24/0/00 in the "length" section
(6)press control "D" and walla...

Hope this helps