Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Protools 7.2 crash when drawing automation

I've consistently seen ProTools 7.2cs3 crash when drawing in automation, mainly volume. It happens almost everyday, in sessions with and without plug-ins, midi, or RTAS instruments, and usually after I've been working in a session for an hour or so.

Anyone else having problems with this or happen to know if 7.3 has the same problem?

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Avid

Default Re: Protools 7.2 crash when drawing automation

Does this possibly occur during an auto-save?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:46 PM

No, I've checked several times and it doesn't seem to happen at the same time as an autosave. I've had a few of the "screen freezes" that lots of people have been posting about and possibly linking to autosaves, but those don't bring on a hard crash like this automation editing does. I also draw automation in at a fairly rapid pace, and am moving the cursor quickly, clicking a lot and initiating playback very frequently.

Usually, I'll be playing the session and inserting automation as I go, the spinning beachball comes up for a few seconds, then crash. The crash window opens asking me if I want to relaunch Protools, which I decline because I want to re-boot just to be safe.

Also, I just checked all my plug-ins to make sure they're up to date and they are.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:34 PM

i had this problem a lot before upgrading to 7.3.1

i also had an non approved mac G4 with a 3rd party dual processor

is your computer approved by digi?

if it is NOT i'm sorry to say this may point to your problem

Old 06-06-2007, 09:30 AM

My computer is a first genertation G5 dual 2 ghz with 4 GB of RAM. Everything's stock, including the drives, although I'm using 2 OWC Firewire drives for sfx/video storage. I'm running an HD3, with a core and 2 Accel cards, hooked up to a 192 I/O, an Apogee AD8000 via the legacy port, and a Sync I/O . Maybe I'll just upgrade to 7.3 and see if that takes care of it.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:16 PM

Happened to me 3 times today. I had several VI's going with midi - Xpand, Mach 5, Atmoshpere. When I first open the session and work for a few minutes things seem fine. However, when I start editing/inputing any automation data with the multitool, ProTools crashes (long beach ball spin, crash). After I re-start Protools, I can open the same session and things work fine until I close, open another session without midi, work a little, then go back to the original session with midi. Editing/inputing any automation crashes ProTools again.

I think it's related to RTAS plugs and midi, as it doesn't happen on sessions without them.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:36 PM

i had a kernal today

those don't happen too often

but this one was right as i was adjusting my fade on my master fader

other crashes have happened when i have forgotten to quit the core audio with using quicktime to play my mixes...PT does not like that thing launched before its launching