Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2018, 08:25 PM

Default Re: What do I need to monitor in Dolby Atmos with my setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsteeve View Post
Wouldn't I run into the problem that since the PT control app run through EUCON, I wouldn't be able to use my ICON D-Control 32 at the same time?
You can use the Eucon Control app (iPad) with anything else and still not use it with Pro Tools. As long as you don't enable Eucon in Pro Tools, the ICON will work but the Control app (like anything else Eucon) won't work with it. However, it will work with the DADman in the meantime.
Quote:
Does the DAD software comes bundled with the MTRX btw?
Yes. DADman comes with it. (downloadable from Avid or from DAD -- right now the newest version comes from DAD) (get it together Avid!)
Quote:
Also any Ipad app i could use for using the integrated Atmos panner in Protools that would work without eucon...?
No. There's also no Eucon app that will control it yet (including the Control app). Only the S6 panners.

Quote:
I want to present my workplace with a few upgrade path:
1- the cheapest option to get started with what we have
(MTRX with 24outs and PSQ Card,1 x extra HDX card, 1 x Ipad for panning and monitor control)

2- a middle ground option,
(S6 M10, MTRX with 24outs and PSQ Card,1 x extra HDX card)

3- a full future proof setup.
(S6 M40, MTRX with 24outs and PSQ Card,1 x extra HDX card)

They have just spend a huge amount of money on a new campus, bought an SSL for the recording studio etc.. so the accountant won't be too thrilled with me asking to spend an extra 100K + ha ha!
Don't forget the S6 has a yearly maintenance contract (unlike the ICON) which is more or less mandatory -- so more costs.
And you haven't got into configuring the S6 which can/will run higher than even you think for the bells and whistles.

*and just some corrections: it is "SPQ card" (speaker equalisation) for the MTRX not PSQ and the Dolby unit is "RMU" (rendering and mastering unit) not MRU
Old 09-21-2018, 08:34 PM

Thinking about it, Spanner
http://thecargocult.nz/spanner.shtml
Is the only plugin/iPad app (it operates outside of Eucon so it doesn't matter about that) that I know of that does allow panning in 7.1.2 with an iPad control.

However, you aren't using Avid's integrated panner this way.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Thinking about it, Spanner
http://thecargocult.nz/spanner.shtml
Is the only plugin/iPad app (it operates outside of Eucon so it doesn't matter about that) that I know of that does allow panning in 7.1.2 with an iPad control.

However, you aren't using Avid's integrated panner this way.
Thanks a lot man. So in brief the S6 is really nice but it is going to cost a lot..

Well I think right now the spanner plug in is the only way I can do atmos panning in conjunction with the ICON... unless of course I'm using the mouse... which will just suck..

I mean all this stuff should have really been discussed before getting all these speakers installed... but that what I was given when I walked in the job 2 weeks ago, so I'll do my best to get it working!

So my cheapest option right now from my understanding is:

1 x AVID MTRX Base Unit
3 x 8out card
Dante 64IO card
SPQ Monitor Card
1 x DAD MOM ( just because I want a volume control knob!)
1 x extra HDX card
1 x Ipad
1 x Spanner App + AAX plug ins for panning
1 x Dolby Atmos Production suite

Am I missing anything? right now I'm looking at just over 20K USD

Eventually will get an S6 as I'm sure they will want to future proof the setup, and all that gear will be useful for that setup too.. but right now I'm not sure they will fork out another 80K on top for that 20K..
Old 09-22-2018, 02:37 AM

What are your speakers (make/model)?

If they can be digitally fed (AES, Dante, etc.), you can cut a few thousand down out of your costs by not needing the MTRX Analogue cards. The base unit has quite a lot of digital built in and you could supplement with cheaper MTRX cards (dante daughter module, AES cards, etc)
Old 09-22-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
What are your speakers (make/model)?

If they can be digitally fed (AES, Dante, etc.), you can cut a few thousand down out of your costs by not needing the MTRX Analogue cards. The base unit has quite a lot of digital built in and you could supplement with cheaper MTRX cards (dante daughter module, AES cards, etc)
I am not 100% sure of the model but looking at the pictures I took of the studio the other day they look like JBLs 708P for all the sides and back speakers.. which all have AES3 digital inputs from the spec sheet. I know there are powered since there is a power socket next to each speaker with an XLR connection to the wall. On the ceiling it looks like 6 x JBLs control 2P, and I'm not sure what is behind the screen, I know there are JBLs, but not sure which ones

And also the system is a 13.1.6, not a 15.1.6 like I originally mentioned... Looks like the MTRX comes with 16 mono channel of AES, so potentially that could take care off all 10 side and back speakers, then I would still need 2 analog I/O card for all the ceiling / front speakers and LFE
Old 09-22-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
1 x AVID MTRX Base Unit
3 x 8out card
Dante 64IO card
SPQ Monitor Card
1 x DAD MOM ( just because I want a volume control knob!)
1 x extra HDX card
1 x Ipad
1 x Spanner App + AAX plug ins for panning
1 x Dolby Atmos Production suite
A couple thoughts-

1. Spaner is very cool, but personally I enjoy panning with a touch screen about as much as paying with a mouse. Also, having to use the Spanner plugin instead of the PT panner isn't the best option for teaching, IMO. As another option, consider the JLCooper joystick (someone mentioned in a previous post). I have an old model that I've used with Atmos.

Here is the new model (USB): https://www.jlcooper.com/_php/product.php?prod=axos
Here is an old one (MIDI) on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/JL-Cooper-J...0AAOSwXetZSKz2

2. You don't need the Dante card if you are using AES or analog. But those analog cards are reeeeeeeally expensive. BScout is right- double check what your speaker connections are. figure out what is behind that screen. Maybe you can go with only the Dante card, and use some CAT6-to-XLR adapters to send signals to each speaker: https://www.audinate.com/products/da...e-rjd1112-0050
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 09-23-2018, 12:21 AM

as a cheaper alternative would this work?

1 x JBL Intonato 24 Monitor Management Tuning System ($3000)
1 x Dolby Production Suite for Protools ($300)
1 x JL Cooper Nuage panner ($1500) ( Does it work with Protools built in Atmos panner?)
Old 09-23-2018, 08:00 AM

Don't get the Nudge panner. I think that connects with ethernet and not might be proprietary. Besides, the housing is made to drop into the Nudge console. The AXOS is right one. Or the older model that works with USB. I prefer that one, because it only sends pan information when you push the joystick button. See both links in my last post.

The Intonato is good for room tuning and monitor control, but you still need a protools interface to get the sound into it. And not that you get get the room thing card for the MTRX, you could use the MTRX for everything. (Although, I haven't used the monitor tuning card personally. But it looks good)
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 09-23-2018, 08:19 AM

The Intonato works well if you are on JBL speakers it supports. The 7 series speakers are supported. Your others, don’t know. You’ll need to talk to JBL. It isn’t quite as universal as JBL pretends it is. (There are features in room correction that aren’t expanded enough to handle many speakers and non-adjustable things)

And I do understand: the SPQ card is US$2200 alone while the Intonato is US$2999 for the whole thing. (Plus Avid HD I/O are cheap compared to the MTRX). Just make sure the Intonato works for your setup. You can get one in and make sure before committing.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:43 AM

Ouch. I didn't know the speaker tuning card was $2200. And at $2999, there are better options over the Intonato. The QSC Q-Sys 110f is one of them. So he could do an HD I/O and run analog into the QSC and off to the speakers.

https://www.qsc.com/de-new/systems/p...res/core-110f/

I use the 250i. The QSC stuff is amazing. It'll hand the room tuning and the monitor control (via iPad). You can program it to do anything you want.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD