Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-15-2019, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Is it possible to solo aux sends?

nah, mine doesn't have that. I can't believe this! It's an essential feature for mixing to be able to hear the effected signal
WD Black SATA 7200
ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Mbox3 Pro Firewire 400
ProTools 10.3.8
ProTools 11.3.1

https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe
Old 08-15-2019, 09:54 AM

Then you solo safe the tracks feeding the auxes. Command + click (Mac) /Ctrl + click (WIN) on the solo button. Then when you solo an aux you hear everything going into that aux.

This is what you have to do to Solo In Place through your bussing chain anyway (AFL/PFL divert as was mentioned.) Not a big deal.

(btw, if you want to find quickly all the tracks that feed an aux, you can use bus interrogation: right click on the output of an audio track that uses that bus or the input of the aux and do a select or show only and you'll only see the tracks that feed that bus. You can do a restore if you do "show only" after)

Last edited by BScout; 08-15-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:03 AM

Control click on solo does nothing and as I mentioned my I/O settings dont have the options yours does. There's no afl/pfl path. Maybe it's a PT12 thing, I'm using 11.
WD Black SATA 7200
ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Mbox3 Pro Firewire 400
ProTools 10.3.8
ProTools 11.3.1

https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe
Old 08-22-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh View Post
Control click on solo does nothing and as I mentioned my I/O settings dont have the options yours does. There's no afl/pfl path. Maybe it's a PT12 thing, I'm using 11.
to solo safe on windows its shift,control and click. that will grey it out
Old 08-22-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsMad03 View Post
to solo safe on windows its shift,control and click. that will grey it out
No. Shift+Ctrl click is solo safe for all selected tracks. It will work (because the track is selected) but that isn't the shortcut key. Ctrl+click on the solo is the shortcut key for a single track. I don't know what the OP is doing wrong but this isn't really debatable: ctrl+click is in the official Pro Tools shortcut manual and it works perfectly on my Windows system.

Just looked it up, yes, it appears regular Pro Tools users only got AFL/PFL with Pro Tools 12.1. It was HD-only up until that point.
Solo safe has been available to all versions since there was a non-DSP version of Pro Tools.

Just realized maybe the OP doesn't know what "solo safe" is. It's often termed "solo defeat" in other DAWs. It greys out the solo button (so it kind of "does nothing" from that aspect) but it allows you to solo other tracks without those that are in "solo safe" from being muted. So for an aux fed with audio from audio tracks, when you solo the aux, the audio tracks that are "solo safe" don't get muted so they continue to send sound to the aux track.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
No. Shift+Ctrl click is solo safe for all selected tracks. It will work (because the track is selected) but that isn't the shortcut key. Ctrl+click on the solo is the shortcut key for a single track. I don't know what the OP is doing wrong but this isn't really debatable: ctrl+click is in the official Pro Tools shortcut manual and it works perfectly on my Windows system.

Just looked it up, yes, it appears regular Pro Tools users only got AFL/PFL with Pro Tools 12.1. It was HD-only up until that point.
Solo safe has been available to all versions since there was a non-DSP version of Pro Tools.

Just realized maybe the OP doesn't know what "solo safe" is. It's often termed "solo defeat" in other DAWs. It greys out the solo button (so it kind of "does nothing" from that aspect) but it allows you to solo other tracks without those that are in "solo safe" from being muted. So for an aux fed with audio from audio tracks, when you solo the aux, the audio tracks that are "solo safe" don't get muted so they continue to send sound to the aux track.
my bad, I kinda skimmed over the specifics, i didn't see you were talking about the shortcut key