Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 PM

Default RTAS Instrument Automation Writing From Midi Controller

Hi, I've been having a problem writing automation for Native Instruments Massive parameters from a Midi Controller. I use Midi Learn to assign a control on my M-Audio Axiom 49 to a Massive parameter. This works fine.

However, as soon as I enable automation for that parameter in Pro-Tools the input from my Axiom is no longer recognized on that parameter. It still recognizes input on any parameters that do not have automation enabled. I've looked around the forums and been unable to solve this problem.

Thanks for any response,
Tekk
Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 AM

Default Re: RTAS Instrument Automation Writing From Midi Controller

Hi, I am also intrested in this issue...

I am trying to do it with Reaktor (in PT903HD) assignknobs to the midikontroller works fine. I have added the automation lane fot that specific knob and tryed out with all types of Automation Modes in the selector.

I can use the midicontroller to make the knob move but it wont record it!
If I am using the "virtual knob" with the mouse and doing exacty the same thing ... it writes/records it into that same automation lane!

So I like it to record when I am usin the midi knob

Any ideas ?

... why cant I just use the mouse ? its because its easyer to get a nice feel to it using the real know and I would like to use several knobs at once, once I get the first one to record via midi knob.

thx and hope you guys reply with ideas!
cheers all
Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 AM

I almost come to think this is a bug. I've been wanting to do this as well to no avail. First thinking I was doing something wrong but seeing this post it almost got to be a bug Avid ? Anyone ?
i7 5820K @ 3.3Ghz, 32Gb, Windows 7 Ulimate 64, 1x M.2 512 SSD, 1x Spinpoint F1 1TB, 2x Spinpoint F3 1TB, ProjectMix IO, Axiom Pro61, PreSonus Monitor Station,SM ProAudio Stage Buddy, KRK VXT6, AKG K271, SE220A, PT 12.4.0, AMT IEP, Omnisphere, Trilian, EWQL CCC, EWQL Spaces, Ministry Of Rock, Gypsy, Fab Four, NI Komplete 9 Ultimate, NI Maschine, ProjectSAM Orchestral Essentials, Waves V9 Musician 1, Morphoder, CL4

Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 AM

... let me add this too:

I am having reaktor on a Instrument track... that can recive midi.
So... if i record enable the track with the channel record enable button. (not the Automation mode read/touch/latch/write) and then go with the main rec button as you record a midi take, it records the midi knob movement and can play it back as wel.
BUT it does not show up in the automation lane for that knob...
Since I am apperantly not skilled enough to do this all right "live" when I am recordingit results in >> want to edit it.
But I cant find where is the info recorded, the lane or any info for that ... If I delete the region the automation is gone.

strange ... and I kind of refuse to realize this is a bug, I cant be the first ?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:46 AM

OK! Got it!!! PAY ATTENTION

here is the thing,
The automation lane you add that to a track that we probably thought should represent the automation parameter added from the plugin (the button under AUTO in the plugin interface) is NOT the one we are looking for if we are about to look or edit the recorded midi knob activity.
That is probably only if you like to record stuff with messing around with the virtual knob via the mouse!

However, if you are looking for the recorded midi knob activity than you need to find out what is the controller address/channel/nr for the specific knob that your midi device sends!!!
In my case knob nr1 sends at "74".
Add a new automation lane to your midi/instrument track and when you are about to choose what the lane should show you will have to choose (just below sysex) in my case for knob1 "controller>sound ctrl#5 (74)" the number between the parantheses means that that is the actual adress for the lane ... the text before it is probably some kind of a standard function, GM I would guess. And one more thing ... you need to record enable the channel and than record the knob activity as you record a midi track.

If there are some kind of link here in between these two parameters, I havent figured out. This works at least. (the first at the top mentioned and then the last one just above this)

Hope you guys can make something out of my explanation...

cheers