Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-11-2012, 04:00 AM
DjOps DjOps is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 3
Unhappy Upgrade Questions - Please Help

Hello all!


I am currently running PT LE 7.3.1 with an Mbox 2 Mini on my iMac which is running OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger). It's an Intel 2Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM. I've had it for years (since 04 I think!?) and it runs beautifully as is.

I was looking into purchasing Native Instruments Komplete 8 and have discovered I need to be running OS X 10.6 (which is no problem as it's a $29 upgrade)... however...

My current version of Pro Tools is not supported for Mac OS X 10.6.

Can someone please suggest what my best option is here in regards to upgrading ProTools so I retain a stable system and can use the gorgeous package that is Komplete 8? I could only find PT LE 7.4 or 10 in Avid's Store - both not useful options for me with this setup.

I have also considered finding earlier versions of Komplete but have yet to find a legally obtainable copy *rolls eyes... frustrating*

I really appreciate any help offered.

If I *do* manage to get a suitable PT upgrade will my old session files from 7.3.1 still load in no problems? (half finished songs/etc.)

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 AM
nst7 nst7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 9,795
Default Re: Upgrade Questions - Please Help

There's a couple of things to point out here:

Officially, to go from Tiger to Snow Leopard, you must first go to Leopard (10.5). Unofficially, some people have gotten around this by wiping their drive clean and starting over. But Snow Leopard needs to see Leopard to upgrade.

The same goes with Lion, it must see Snow Leopard, which must see Leopard.

You may want to check with your local Apple Store to see what your options are. You may be able to get an old Leopard Disc off Ebay, if needed.

You mentioned not wanting PT10. This will work with Komplete 8, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to use that. Unless you don't want to go to Lion, which is idea for PT10. Or if it's a budget thing.

You could see if you can find PT8 and use it with Leopard.

Ideally, one of the best values would be to get the new Mbox 3 Mini, with much better sound, bundled with Protools (free upgrade to 10) for not much more than just buying an upgrade to 10 software only. See here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ls-9-mbox-mini

If you decide to go that route, be sure that your computer supports Lion. If it's Core 2 duo (as opposed to just Core Duo), it should be okay.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:43 PM
DjOps DjOps is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 3
Default Re: Upgrade Questions - Please Help

Hi, thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, I don't have a local apple store. I'm quite happy to go with a clean install of Snow Leopard (which was the plan I had in mind) - Leopard seems extremely hard to track down.

It's a budget thing and also a computer specifications thing. The current setup I have is optimized to run as it is (yes it is a Core 2 Duo, as stated in my original post) - PT 10 my iMac barely meets the requirements and even then it is a model that is 'untested or unsupported' (bought it just before they went aluminium), so I'm unwilling to take that bet. Don't get me wrong, I'd *love* PT 10 (and a new setup for that matter, but i'd go bigger than the Mbox Mini this time).

Basically I need a new compatible computer before I can do that; that's not a near future thing. Perhaps I'll hold that option till Komplete 9/PT 11 et al comes out

The option of finding PT 8 and running it in either Leopard (or Snow Leopard with updates) is probably my best bet given my current budget and setup - It'll take time to find those things but i'll just keep an eye out.

Either that or i'll change tack and buy a nice little boutique amp/use real drummers and stick with the synths I have.

Thanks a bunch for your insight and help, appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-12-2012, 07:27 AM
nst7 nst7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 9,795
Default Re: Upgrade Questions - Please Help

PT8 sounds like the best and most affordable option in your situation. Hopefully you can find a legit copy somewhere pretty easily.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-12-2012, 08:48 PM
DjOps DjOps is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 3
Thumbs up Re: Upgrade Questions - Please Help

Thanks mate, I'll keep an eye out
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PT 8.x to PT 11 upgrade questions yyyesbaby Windows 4 08-10-2013 11:47 AM
About to upgrade - questions jahtao macOS 1 07-07-2012 08:02 AM
Serious Upgrade Questions . Afterdark 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 6 09-15-2010 07:03 AM
Upgrade Questions Seihi 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 4 01-16-2010 12:51 AM
Mac upgrade Questions surchur 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 2 09-16-2002 09:31 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com