Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 11-21-2019, 12:45 PM

Default Re: New Pricing

I checked my Perpetual non HD products page and it still shows reinstatement for update/support plan for 199 USD.

Of those of you who say it isn't there anymore are any of you on Non HD/Native?.

I paid up through Dec 2020 before the price increase but the 199 reinstate offer is still on my page so maybe it's an error or only relates to HD/HD Native?
Old 11-21-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Seeing as Avid bought Digidesign/Pro Tools in 1994 (they bought the whole company not the software) and Pro Tools II came out in 1993, you didn't even get 1 good year!

The vast majority have never used Pro Tools under anything but Avid's ownership. They just were not aware until Avid started putting its label on it.
Yes I'm aware that they bought the Digidesign name and everything that came along, but for me Pro Tools is the one part that's interesting.
I remember also when they bought Sibelius.
There were a lot of talented people both in US and UK that lost their jobs
when AVID moved the development to Russia.

And ... I believe you're right about the time of the D.Design transaction.
But the name itself does not matter too much.
What matters are the people behind the name and what they do and don't.
I believe bit by bit the 'wrong' people got their positions in the company,
and today we see clearly where that took us all ...

EDIT ... I remember receiving the e-mail telling us about their 'new' name. And the new colors as well. I sure didn't like it.
Something fishy about it ... I thought by then
Old 11-21-2019, 04:25 PM

At work, my company will pay to keep PT running, whatever it takes, because we're totally a PT shop. But my home system will just have to stay with whatever my final update is on my current plan. If it stops working, I'll move to something financially feasible. It's hard to understand why they want to chase away customers who have been loyal to them for decades.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-22-2019, 03:45 AM

Long time user here. For me this is simple. I'll use PT as my main tool as long as I can own the product (perpetual). The day Ultimate goes rental mode, I'm out. Even if the price would be the same.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J View Post
Long time user here. For me this is simple. I'll use PT as my main tool as long as I can own the product (perpetual). The day Ultimate goes rental mode, I'm out. Even if the price would be the same.
Yep, same boat. I'm paid up till 7/21 and will probably grab one more year this holiday season but that is probably it.
This whole "transition" is ridiculous. Say where you are going and lay the path/road map to get there and be transparent. Let the users decide if they want to go down that path with you or without you. Pretty simple in my opinion and the way a business should be run.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 11-22-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
Pretty simple in my opinion and the way a business should be run.
Like when Adobe announced once and for all that they only sell subscriptions from then on? That was the day I decided to use their CS4 as long as it worked and not subscribing anything now. Probably never will.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
I checked my Perpetual non HD products page and it still shows reinstatement for update/support plan for 199 USD.

Of those of you who say it isn't there anymore are any of you on Non HD/Native?.

I paid up through Dec 2020 before the price increase but the 199 reinstate offer is still on my page so maybe it's an error or only relates to HD/HD Native?
I think you're confusing renewal and reinstatement in Avid's lingo. It's now $199 to renew a currently active annual update plan. $299 to "reinstate" if you don't have an active annual update plan.

The rumor is they're doing away with reinstatement next month. Guess we'll see.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
The rumor is they're doing away with reinstatement next month. Guess we'll see.
I am not taking a stance on policy changes, every company has their right to do so obviously -- BUT, if the policy change was in effect first of january and users were not informed well before, then I would smell a class action lawsuit.

Therefore I'd say keep calm and carry on. They will announce if something changes.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I am not taking a stance on policy changes, every company has their right to do so obviously -- BUT, if the policy change was in effect first of january and users were not informed well before, then I would smell a class action lawsuit.

Therefore I'd say keep calm and carry on. They will announce if something changes.
HI Janne, case in Point .. the Change from 99.00 a year to 199.00 a year came 2 weeks before the deadline, if i am correct ... so if that is the truth, then Dec 15th looks like a possible date to announce the Change to Reinstatement ... and the change is it goes away !!! we shall see !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-22-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
HI Janne, case in Point .. the Change from 99.00 a year to 199.00 a year came 2 weeks before the deadline, if i am correct ... so if that is the truth, then Dec 15th looks like a possible date to announce the Change to Reinstatement ... and the change is it goes away !!! we shall see !!!
That is slightly different, because:
- if reinstatement goes away with 2wk "grace" period, it is ougrageous
- if something that continues being on price list sees a price increase with 2wk "grace" period to buy on old price, that is just so-so.

I am just so confused because all I hear is rumors. May be true or completely BS