Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-21-2020, 05:32 PM

Default Help configure PT with two Apogee Symphony I/O via ThunderBridge

Hi,

I've been unable to get any sound from a second Apogee Symphony I/O I added to my system via ThunderBridge 64.

I followed Apogee's instructions (on connecting a second Symphony I/O unit to a ThunderBridge 64), and used the Loop Sync feature to make the second one clocked correctly.

I can make it work on Cubase with no issues, I can route tracks to any output from either Symphony unit, but there's no way I can get any sound from the second unit with Pro Tools.

I already re-configured all the I/O settings on Pro Tools, new session from scratch, etc... and even though the I/O settings automatically recognises both units and assigns I/O matrix accordingly, when I route to the second Symphony unit, nothing happens.

Please help

PT 2019.12
macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra
Mac Pro Late 2013

Apogee Symphony I/O 16x16 (primary)
Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6 (secondary)
Apogee Symphony 64 ThunderBridge

Sound Engineer | Non-Avid Employee
Old 01-21-2020, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Help configure PT with two Apogee Symphony I/O via ThunderBridge

When you look in Pro Tools what exactly do you see for the IO paths? Screenshot time..

What exact modules do you have in each chassis? Your signature is a bit confusing. If you just one 16x16 module in one chassis why not add the 2x6 module to the same chassis? Why does it need to be in a separate chassis?

Only Pro Tools HD/Ultimate using a DigiLink interface can access more than 32 inputs and outputs. For any other systems Pro Tools only works with the first 32 IO. I suspect the issue here is what does ProTools thinks the first 32 inputs and outputs actually are. If you can you need to map all the IO in Mastero to be below the 32 IO limit. I'd just contact Apogee support of your questions are any deeper.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:25 PM

Thank you very much for your input, and the PT 32 I/O limit reminder.

I have a chassis with 2 8x8 cards and a second chassis with a 2x6 (that's why I had to use 2).

I think you nailed the problem on first suspicion. I first tried to clear all ADAT and AES digital IO from the IO matrix on Pro Tools with no luck (second Symphony still out of 32 range, no matter what I discard.

Then, on Maestro I tried to remap all the Analog IO to the first 32 "slots", but it seems I'm stuck with a rigid matrix I cannot modify at will. The main problem seems to be that the Symphony 64 ThunderBridge forces the second unit to the 33-64 range, on a separate stream, and I have found no way to change that.

I'll try to get away like this, take a look at screenshots please:

https://snipboard.io/GQRmTs.jpg

https://snipboard.io/GQRmTs.jpg

Tnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
When you look in Pro Tools what exactly do you see for the IO paths? Screenshot time..

What exact modules do you have in each chassis? Your signature is a bit confusing. If you just one 16x16 module in one chassis why not add the 2x6 module to the same chassis? Why does it need to be in a separate chassis?

Only Pro Tools HD/Ultimate using a DigiLink interface can access more than 32 inputs and outputs. For any other systems Pro Tools only works with the first 32 IO. I suspect the issue here is what does ProTools thinks the first 32 inputs and outputs actually are. If you can you need to map all the IO in Mastero to be below the 32 IO limit. I'd just contact Apogee support of your questions are any deeper.

Last edited by Cacov; 01-21-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:36 PM

It worked! Thank you very much Darryl