Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Hum reduction plug on Mix plus system

Hello gang:

I have a project where I need to remove hum from a telephone interview for a client. I was about to rent Sonic NONOISE when I found out it was only for HD - I thought it would work under Audio Suite but it appears not.

What options do I have for a fairly high end hum removal plugin on my - dare I say older Mix Plus - system?

Thanks-
Tom
Old 05-01-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Hum reduction plug on Mix plus system

I worst comes to worst, a series of notch filters could do nicely. Find the fundamental, and then set each filter to whole number multiples of that frequency. Keep the badwidth very narrow, and you should be OK. Cut from 6db to whatever is necessary.

Boosting frequencies in the speech range (mid range) that don't have hum in them, and then compressing can help too.

Keep in mind that whatever you do, unless the problem is pretty subtle, you're going to be reducing the hum, not eliminating it.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:19 PM

Yeah thanks PTuser! I am from the old days and do know about the DIY method it was good to get a little refresher though. I guess what I'm asking is are there still any of those "boxed" hum reduction plugin solutions that does it without having to dial it in manually for my mix plus system that maybe still be out there.

Anyone?

Tom
Old 05-01-2007, 08:56 PM

Donwload Waves Restoration Kit for free. 3.6 will save your butt for a few days.
Think of buying it too.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.