Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 PM

Default Re: DolbyE Live Decoding w/ SurCode

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
I second what Paul says here...I have tried both the Minnetonka and the Neyrinck software solutions for this and found that the Neyrinck decoder works well.

Also, you really can't in good conscience send out a tape that you can't play back, it might be ok, or it might not and then you wouldn't look very good.

If I remember correctly, the Minnetonka software had a very specific routing and PT HW buffer setting requirements. Have you read the set up guide (Sorry, I am at home right now)?

Randall
Hi guys -

We analyzed the files from Paul directly and confirmed that this must be a clocking issue.

We too have users all over the world using our solution every day to encode, decode, layback, etc...In fact, our Dolby E suite has been chosen as the standard by many european state broadcasters.

Just have to represent here on the list.

You too contact me directly and I will call you back to help configure your workstation. You are not alone - we will help.

Minnetonka Audio Software
952-449-6481
www.minnetonkaaudio.com
Old 06-19-2009, 03:00 PM

SPDIF definitley works. We've tested in house using various DAW's and audio interfaces sending straight SPDIF to the SPDIF in of an MBox. It decodes just fine. And also, AES interfaces, converting to SPDIF, also work. So, even if your source Dolby E stream is coming from SPDIF and not AES (converted to SPDIF or not), PT 8 with the CPTK will decode this signal. This is also true for other workstations that we support for Dolby E work, such as Nuendo and Pyramix.

952-449-6481
www.minnetonkaaudio.com
Old 06-19-2009, 06:37 PM

this is excellent news, thanks Jaysker. Layback with confidence! Can anyone recommend any AES>SPDIF interfaces they're using sucessfully?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:11 AM

Hi!

The exact configuration we used - just to test spdif to spdif - was Adobe Audition using a Presonus Firepod - spdif out directly into an Mbox running PT 8 Le with the CPTK. SurCode for Dolby E Decoder sat on the stereo side of a 5.1 aux bus and it worked like a charm.

With this test, we didn't need to convert from AES to spdif. Straight spdif to spdif worked just fine.

This test was also conducted with Nuendo as the source - feeding PT. Worked just fine. What's tricky is that some DAW's apply dither -even on playback (this can be turned off).....Sonar for example...so that's something to watch for.

I did try one audio card that didn't work though - which was the Hammerfall 9652 spdif out.

These results are not necessarily recommendations, but more proof that it is possibly using a wide range of audio devices and DAW sources.

952-449-6481
www.minnetonkaaudio.com
Old 06-22-2009, 08:15 PM

By the way,..... has anybody come up with a DolbyE encoder software?(....apart from Dolby that is.)
Old 06-23-2009, 04:36 AM

Er, yeah, - Minnetonka and Neyrinck. Have you been reading the thread at all?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:48 AM

Default Re: DolbyE Live Decoding

we offer a FTP based online Dolby E encoding service:

www.DolbyMastering.com

Bernhard