Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2014, 02:39 AM

Default Pro tools 11 and third party control surfaces

Sorry for the basic question. I'm looking for a 24+ channel control surface for PT11 with faders and meter displays, and can't find any specific answers on this. I was intrigued by both the D8B with D8Bridge software (http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge/info.html) and the possibility of using the mackie control universal pro with extenders, but as far as I can tell neither of these are possible because PT11 doesn't support the MCU protocol. Is this the case? If so, are there any third party control surfaces that fit my description which work with PT11?

EDIT: to clarify, I guess I'm basically asking if anyone knows of a suitable HUI control surface that's confirmed to work with PT11; as far as i know, this is the only protocol third party companies have access to that even has a chance of working.

Last edited by dominf; 08-07-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 11 and third party control surfaces

The only third-party* control surface protocol supported by PT 11 is HUI, which is supported by the Mackie MCU units (and many other control surfaces).

So, just look for HUI support on any control surfaces you're interested in...

*"Third-party" is a bit of a misnomer in this instance...HUI was originally developed jointly by Digidesign (original developers of Pro Tools, later sold to Avid) and Mackie. So, instead of "third-party", it's more like "second cousins twice removed by different mothers-party" or something...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 08-07-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
The only third-party* control surface protocol supported by PT 11 is HUI, which is supported by the Mackie MCU units (and many other control surfaces).

So, just look for HUI support on any control surfaces you're interested in...

*"Third-party" is a bit of a misnomer in this instance...HUI was originally developed jointly by Digidesign (original developers of Pro Tools, later sold to Avid) and Mackie. So, instead of "third-party", it's more like "second cousins twice removed by different mothers-party" or something...
Thanks very much for your help! That was pretty much my understanding of the situation (though a little further reading has shown that the D8Bridge HUI support was announced and there's since no sign of it, so that's off the table). So, in the case of the Mackie MCU units, which I really like and would get, my only concern is that, while they support HUI, I can't find any reports of people confirming it works with PT11 specifically and Avid of course put HUI devices in the "untested/may not work" category. But does that not matter? Is it enough that a device supports HUI, that I can know it will work with PT11? People recommend them for PT10, and elsewhere I've seen claims that the mackie c4 doesnt work with pro tools, nor does the master fader on the main console (implying everything else does which would be fine), but they dont specify the PT version. I'd love to stick with 11!
Old 08-08-2014, 03:01 AM

I use an old Yamaha 01v96 for 16-channels of PT11 control, which works well using HUI. I've not come across many larger format controllers except maybe the Behringer X-32. Might be worth a look.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantise View Post
I use an old Yamaha 01v96 for 16-channels of PT11 control, which works well using HUI. I've not come across many larger format controllers except maybe the Behringer X-32. Might be worth a look.
It's interesting you say that, because I'm looking at this yamaha O2R on ebay which is about to finish... You think it'd work?
Old 08-08-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominf View Post
It's interesting you say that, because I'm looking at this yamaha O2R on ebay which is about to finish... You think it'd work?

I got a 02R. First edition. It doesn't work. I think you need the v96 version too...
The 02R doesn't work. It has a ProTools Remote midi table, but it doesn't comunicate with the ProTools (LE8 or HD11, as I tested).
So I guess that only the 02Rv96 does work.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmilian View Post
I got a 02R. First edition. It doesn't work. I think you need the v96 version too...
The 02R doesn't work. It has a ProTools Remote midi table, but it doesn't comunicate with the ProTools (LE8 or HD11, as I tested).
So I guess that only the 02Rv96 does work.
Ahh see this is the annoying thing, I guess whether or not it works entirely on a surface-by-surface basis now, it's not enough that it can use HUI as apparently the Mackie D8B can but it still doesn't work... Thanks for your input though, that's one desk I can cross off the list.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:43 AM

It's my understanding also that the O2 series doesn't work. The O1v96 actually has a Pro Tools mode, which still works with PT11, although Avid may not support it. If you search out the manual online, you can check out what it offers.

One of the features I love is that it will allow you to transfer the first few AUX sends to the main faders in order to make changes. Great for foldback mixes or fx sends.

John
Old 08-09-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantise View Post
It's my understanding also that the O2 series doesn't work. The O1v96 actually has a Pro Tools mode, which still works with PT11, although Avid may not support it. If you search out the manual online, you can check out what it offers.

One of the features I love is that it will allow you to transfer the first few AUX sends to the main faders in order to make changes. Great for foldback mixes or fx sends.

John
That actually sounds perfect, I'm quite tempted now. Out of curiousity, would you foresee any problems with using two simultaneously?
Old 08-12-2014, 02:31 AM

I don't know, to be honest. I think searching out the manual might provide an answer.

John