Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-19-2016, 08:13 AM

Default Re: X-form and pitch shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Don't use a Time/Pitch plugin for FPS changes. Rather, use SRC, it is more accurate and sounds better.
SRC gets the duration correct, but how do you correct the resulting pitch change? Are you using something other than PT's own SRC, or are you just ignoring the pitch change?
Old 04-19-2016, 09:18 AM

I use SRC to get the fps changes right. Then Time Factory to do the pitch conversions. Best to pitch stems and not a final mix. Then let the stems render out a mix (using offline bounce).
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 04-19-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Erik View Post
I use SRC to get the fps changes right. Then Time Factory to do the pitch conversions. Best to pitch stems and not a final mix. Then let the stems render out a mix (using offline bounce).
I use the same workflow. I'm just not happy with the tools I've got to pitch shift, especially on Dx. (And as the demo of TimeFactory doesn't let you export, it's a PITA to A/B it's output with other pitch shifters. Harumph!)
Old 04-19-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Erik View Post
This is what I do. Except, I use X-Form. It's slow, but I have been happy with PAL to FILM or PAL to NTSC or FILM to PAL.

For NTSC to FILM or vice versa, who cares about the .1% pitch....

Some day would like to try Time Factory
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 04-19-2016, 02:37 PM

I've been banging on about zplanes elastique for the last few years on here and Gearslutz. I haven't heard better and it will do an amazing job on a full mix as well should you need to.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:52 PM

Reckless Erik: Why do you src first, and then pitch correct in Timefactory instead of just time-strecth in Timefactory? Seems like a longer route to get to the same place. Or does Timefactory sound better when pitch-changing than when it is time-stretching?

garret: I´ve never heard Elastique. Have you compared it to Timefactory?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:38 AM

SRC will give you 100% sync, whereas the time-stretching algorithms usually shift about to make things fit as they feel works best for them.
Users here have reported times being off by a frame or more.

I remember doing a shootout between different tools.
I preferred Nuendos realtime shift which is based on Elastique.

But a question: My main issue with all algorithms is a certain grainyness in the sound, esp. dialog. You could also call it rough.
Any tips on what might be causing this? Would be very greatful for anybody sharing!!

My findings: tools are either good for long, bassy or paddy sounds and grainy/metallic on transients, or they are better for transients but hiccup and blip on those bassy, long sustained sounds.

I once tried PitchnTime which wounded great on the mix up to when the music came in... it stares warbling the pitch up and down like a record left out int the sun and going oval shaped. Totally surprised me as the settings where clearly only shifting for pal to film, and I immediately lost trust in the tool. Thisnwas freelancing somewhere else, so no time to repeat yet...
Old 04-20-2016, 04:40 AM

Ok. So it handles sync better when pitch shifting than when timestretching?

PnT works great in V mode for adjusting ADR. Not so much however for fps conversion.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:20 AM

If you had V mode on in pitch n time it mangles everything but dialogue. But the other modes which sound good on music and fx really mess with the dialogue! Basically it can't be used on a full mix. It does however work pretty well on individual stems. I'm taking about pitching only. SRC separately as previously described.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:22 AM

x-form ... another good but abandon product from Avid .. when is the last time we had an update for X-Form .. some of us paid 500.00 for x-form when it came out .. now worth 39.00 LOL

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro