Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2002, 01:55 PM

Default do i need to use a master fader?

I'm learning and getting deeper into mixing and am becoming really happy with the results i'm getting but here's the thing. Right now i'm not using any master fader. I'm getting the levels up without any clipping on ever track, pans, eq,, comp, etc and the songs are nice and loud but still to me remain smooth and flowing but i keep getting told to use a master fader because all there outputs combined will cause unpleasent distortion coming out of the final output. But when i use a master fader and balance all the levels so the master fader doesn't clip set at 0.0 db the song is just too quite. way quite than an album sounds even though they get masterd. Should i stick with what i'm doing or listen to advise and build more exsperiance on this topic. Thanks
Old 10-08-2002, 04:01 PM

Default Re: do i need to use a master fader?

While some on these forums would disagree I feel do what sounds best. Is there a right and wrong way to mix? Yes. If it works it's the right way and if it doesn't then clearly it is not.
A master fader can be a huge asset. It can allow you to apply a plug to your entire session which can make the difference between a good sounding mix/final and a great sounding one.
So use your ears and experiment. GL
Old 10-08-2002, 06:05 PM

I agree with jinsel. I use the master fader for the specific reason he mentioned. Usually i put a small amount of compression on the entire mix before bouncing down. Regardless of whether you are using plugs or outboard gear i think the simplest way to apply effects to an entire mix is to use a master fader. Also in addition to your ears it can be a good tool to help monitor your stereo image.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:39 AM

I made the mistake of not using the master fader several times when I first started. Had I done it, I would have seen that the signal was indeed clipping, and that screwed up a valuable (to me) recording with a very slight distortion. Yes, be sure to always use the master fader.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:25 AM

Be careful though. Too much master fading can make your hands grow hairy! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2002, 11:38 PM

Jack-ass... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2002, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightFlyer:
I made the mistake of not using the master fader several times when I first started. Had I done it, I would have seen that the signal was indeed clipping, and that screwed up a valuable (to me) recording with a very slight distortion. Yes, be sure to always use the master fader.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes. But how do i make the song nice and loud again without clipping on the master fader. Is that what mastering does?
Old 10-12-2002, 04:32 PM

On the topic of making your cd loud, I have been grappling with this issue for a while. Is the reason we want our cd's loud so that ultimately the USER, whoever it might be, won't have to make the physical effort to turn the volume knob UP? Are we trying to save them that effort? If so, doesn't the same effort have to be made to, in fact, turn it lower? In the mastering process it is possible to lift the levels so high that it cuts off all dynamics. Sure it's loud, but it sucks out all the life. I'd rather it be on the softer side, but have all the dynamics in tact. And let the bastards turn it up! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 09:39 PM

Hey June Bug, read all about the mastering process HERE

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 10-13-2002, 11:28 PM

maybe try the L1 maximizer plugged into the master fader. this puts the level up without going over the ceiling. the mutiband compressors work good as well. hope that helps some.
www.V90music.com