Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 02-24-2020, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Spinning wheel of death and Pro Tools Ultimate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
In here at least
as i suspected.. thanks for confirming mate.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:38 AM

I’ve been going around and around with native Instruments support about another issue and actually have an ongoing dialogue with them. I’m going to explain what’s going on with Kontakt, Pro, Tools, Catalina, etc. I’m sure they already know but any amount of keeping on them is good.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:34 AM

i would suggest vienna ensemble pro.

i also find that there is better performance in VEP w/ Kontakt when Kontakt is instantiated as a VST plugin, not AU.

i run stupidly large midi score sessions.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer49 View Post
I would suggest vienna ensemble pro.

I also find that there is better performance in VEP w/ Kontakt when Kontakt is instantiated as a VST plugin, not AU.

I run stupidly large midi score sessions.
Another vote for VEPro even on a single computer.

QAPLA!
Old 02-24-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I would suggest vienna ensemble pro.

I also find that there is better performance in VEP w/ Kontakt when Kontakt is instantiated as a VST plugin, not AU.

I run stupidly large midi score sessions.
Another vote for VEPro even on a single computer.

QAPLA!
Old 02-24-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
i would suggest vienna ensemble pro.

i also find that there is better performance in VEP w/ Kontakt when Kontakt is instantiated as a VST plugin, not AU.

i run stupidly large midi score sessions.
Agreed. If you're running 1-4 simple Kontakt instances, internal AAX is probably fine.

But for more complex scores, Instrument requirements and tempo-synced things (which tend to hang for me when used with Kontakt AAX - Session Strings Pro especially), VEP on the same machine is preferable.

Altho I hate having to submix in VEP.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:19 PM

Ok, after a lot of investigation and also talking to various tech support people who know Kontakt well, I believe I know what’s up. It just comes down to the fact that the libraries are much larger and take more time these days..... like the Chris Hein orchestral stuff (which I’m using a LOT in this session). Even though I have a new iMac with all SSDs, it just takes time. And it might say that the program isn’t responding, it’s just still loading. I was told that running Batch Re-save in every library will help. I’m not really sure why because Kontakt isn’t looking for missing files. I have everything well organized but I might try it for a few of the larger VI libraries and see what happens.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
Agreed. If you're running 1-4 simple Kontakt instances, internal AAX is probably fine.

But for more complex scores, Instrument requirements and tempo-synced things (which tend to hang for me when used with Kontakt AAX - Session Strings Pro especially), VEP on the same machine is preferable.

Altho I hate having to submix in VEP.
You don't have to submix in VEPro - you can run everything out to separate tracks in PT - that's the way I've always worked with VEPro & PT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 View Post
Ok, after a lot of investigation and also talking to various tech support people who know Kontakt well, I believe I know what’s up. It just comes down to the fact that the libraries are much larger and take more time these days..... like the Chris Hein orchestral stuff (which I’m using a LOT in this session). Even though I have a new iMac with all SSDs, it just takes time. And it might say that the program isn’t responding, it’s just still loading. I was told that running Batch Re-save in every library will help. I’m not really sure why because Kontakt isn’t looking for missing files. I have everything well organized but I might try it for a few of the larger VI libraries and see what happens.
Batch re-save doesn't seem to really help - been there/tried that. Useless waste of time. The only time it may help is if a file has become fragmented or bits and bobs were placed by the installer in open holes in the file system.

I've become well aware that file sizes have gotten larger and loading taking time even with ssd's. Also keep in mind that some developers sample every note rather than every couple of notes and use an interpolation routine to take care of the rest. For example in UVI Falcon I have their Steinway D add-on library and the Baldwin Parlor Grand from Whole Sounds. The Steinway does not provide samples for every note but the Baldwin does. Couple that with the Baldwin having multiple layers for ir's and some other stuff and it takes FAR longer to load than the Steinway even from the same ssd on a pcie card. If I have multiple instances of Falcon with the Baldwin on it I regularly get the spinning color wheel when opening the session or autosave in PT kicks in. Sucks but you get used to it; maybe NVME drives would help but that's not something I can afford in the sizes I would need.

QAPLA!
Old 02-25-2020, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
For example in UVI Falcon I have their Steinway D add-on library and the Baldwin Parlor Grand from Whole Sounds. The Steinway does not provide samples for every note but the Baldwin does. Couple that with the Baldwin having multiple layers for ir's and some other stuff and it takes FAR longer to load than the Steinway even from the same ssd on a pcie card.
That is a problem of Baldwin then. I wouldn't know, I only have the said UVI Steinway D and for comparison Ivory II American Concert D which has 50GB sample library and 20 velocity layers for each note. Funny thing, Ivory loads faster than UVI because it loads required samples dynamically and does not try to store all 50GB in memory.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That is a problem of Baldwin then. I wouldn't know, I only have the said UVI Steinway D and for comparison Ivory II American Concert D which has 50GB sample library and 20 velocity layers for each note. Funny thing, Ivory loads faster than UVI because it loads required samples dynamically and does not try to store all 50GB in memory.
That 50 gig - is that the real file size on your sample drive? Remember that Falcon uses lossless compression and runs that in real time. Baldwins loads everything from what the developer has said. The Baldwin file size is roughly 3.2 gig but because of the compression has something like 88 gig of samples. I find that UVI Steinway loads up phenomally fast - don't have Ivory II D.

QAPLA!