How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2012, 03:54 AM

Default Interface Compatibility

Hi all,

So I've been working with Pro Tools for a while now (infact it's the only DAW I'm comfortable using), and decided it's time to upgrade to something better than my current Fast Track Pro. The only thing is that I need to be able to mic a big drumset plus two more channels (and of course a few extra in case vocalists and others want to jump in). (A total of at least 14 channels.) I've been looking at the Allen and Heath Zed 24 and really like it. I think it would go well with what I do. The thing I am hesitant about is whether or not I will have problems with tracking 10 simultaneous tracks into PT10 and being able to actually mix with this interface. It would be my first mixer that I own, but I've worked on larger ones like the Digidesign C24 and similar ones. I just don't want to buy this mixer and not be able to use all of its functions.

My questions for the forum are kind of broad, but nonetheless here it is:

Is there anyone out there who already has an A&H Zed 24 and Pro Tools 10 setup?

And if so, are you able to track all of your channels separately in Pro Tools?

Also, when you automate faders in pro tools do the faders on the mixer move along with the automation? (And vise versa)

And are there any problems I should know about before I actually buy one of these mixers?

Thanks in advance! Any insight helps!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Interface Compatibility

The ZED24 is primarily a live sound mixer - it happens to have USB connectivity only to record a stereo pair of it's outputs into a DAW. So you will not be able to record multiple channels separately (e.g. for drums) like you want to.

It is also not a control surface like the Digidesign C24 you mentioned, so it doesn't have motorised faders.

What you should be looking for is specifically an "audio interface" with enough inputs for your needs. It entirely depends on your budget, but for around the same price as the ZED24 you can buy a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and a Presonus Digimax (or something like it) to give you 16 microphone inputs. Or if you don't need that many you could look at the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 - a bigger and better version of the Pro 40. Also have a look at brands like RME, MOTU and Presonus for similar products.

On the other hand if you want a mixer-type interface, check out the Presonus StudioLive mixers. With these, you CAN record each input as a separate track into Pro Tools via Firewire, but it's quite a bit pricier than the options mentioned above.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 AM

I agree with John. He gave you the best options AFAIK. RME is maybe the best, but carries the highest price tag. Presonus is my 3rd choice and Motu is probably the best value(or Focusrite's Saffire line).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD-John View Post
...you could look at the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 - a bigger and better version of the Pro 40...
Works great here !!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume