Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 PM

Default PT and Vienna Ensemble Pro

Hi guys,

I'm weird and I use ProTools--instead of Logic, Cubase, etc--to sequence big orchestral tracks. I need to run tons of instances of Kontakt and load many GBs worth of samples. But when I load a lot of virtual instruments into PT, hitting save gives me the spinning pinwheel for about 15+ seconds. As a compulsive Command-S hitter this makes it impossible to work. As a work around, I was hosting all my plugins in Plogue Bidule connected via Rewire. This worked well, but Vienna Ensemble Pro seemed like it might be even better. I just got it, and have been messing around with it. It's a wonderful environment to work in, but the LONG save time is back! Does anyone else have this problem? I assume it's because it takes PT a long time to store all the virtual instrument plug-in settings since I have so many patches loaded. And VE PRO saves the configuration of your environment within the plugin instantiated in your session. Is there some optimized RAM setting in PT to get it to work better? Am I alone in noticing this problem?

Thanks!!!!
-wolfie
Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Default Re: PT and Vienna Ensemble Pro

I always Decouple VEP on the slave machine from PT on the master machine. The downside is that you have to save metaframes manually, but that's a small price to pay.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:43 PM

VE Pro works perfectly with P Tools here. I never use command-s. With auto save enabled why would you feel the neseccity to use that command, unless of course you have auto save dissabled. I just set it at every three minutes and all is fine. You might want to give that a shot, set to whatever time increment you desire of course.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 PM

did you try lowering the processor 3 instead of four? also native instrument suggest this in PT, same spectrasonic.
aniway since now the best way to use VST on PT is Reaper, PT run very quite really, and you can use VST format or AU you can route channels in rewire, i test with really heavy sinths and the CPU usage still very low, PT not allows more than three or four VI and sinths, print in audio and disable trcks, of course if you need an entire orchestra plaing with vienna and maybe other VST will make PT unhappy,
Old 02-19-2013, 09:03 PM

I do what PT Lover does.
If you decouple VEPro from ProTools you won't get a long save time.
VEPro has helped me get a little more time out of the old G5 HD2accel system :)