Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-06-2011, 05:06 PM

Default Pro-Tools LE 8.0.4 on Mac OS X Lion - works for me

installed Lion without really thinking that it may impact ProTools.
Got incompatibility message when installed Lion and panicked when saw that PT LE does not support Lion.....BUT it all seems to work fine for me.
Only done quick test of record guitar track and bounce to wav and seems OK.
Anyone else got PT on Lion and found that it runs but some features don't work.
I don't want to find out in 3 months time that it's not working properly and I need to go back to pre-lion mac as time machine mac disc may have lost that restore point by then,
thanks
Ken
Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Pro-Tools LE 8.0.4 on Mac OS X Lion - works for me

Like you I have only done a quick test but PT 8.0.4 seems to be working on my Mac mini with Lion 10.7.1, which is good because PT 9 only works with one Mac at a time with an ilok connected. So with 8 running on my mini it's a good second setup and I am currently testing it with my older MBox 2 with the latest MBox2 driver. I also have an MBox Pro 3 and the beta driver installed so I will test that out as well and get back. Altiverb asked for the ilok but my other plugins loaded and seem to work with the mini setup.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:19 AM

Cool - guess need to keep fingers crossed as we do more extensive use on Lion.
Also makes me nervous about taking any further OS upgrades.
If anyone finds stuff that doesn't work on Lion with LE 8.0.4 please can you post here.
thanks
Ken
Old 09-08-2011, 05:03 PM

You may find soon enough that MIDI has some issues with Lion when using PT LE 8. As I have done!
None of my plug ins can see my keyboard, yet the midi light flickers when pressing the keys on the midi keyboard, very confusing. All worked perfectly fine before I upgraded to Lion. Now I've found out you cant just uninstall Lion. Not sure what to do to fix it.
Will probably start by uninstalling PT LE 8 and reinstalling clean and seeing what happens. The issue apparently happens when you upgrade while already having PT installed on Snow Leopard.

Very annoying.

Phil
Old 09-09-2011, 12:01 AM

Cool - guess need to keep fingers crossed as we do more extensive use on Lion.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:05 AM

Angry Re: Pro-Tools LE 8.0.4 on Mac OS X Lion - works for me

Hello,

Indeed Pro Tools f*cked up my MIDI configuration on my brand new iMac (which came with OS X 10.7 installed).

I have an USB Midi keyboard that worked fine with apps like Sibelius or Garage band. After installing Pro Tools 8.0.5, the MIDI keyboard works within Pro Tools but it can't be seen by any other application. And the Mac MIDI configuration tool tells me something like "Core MIDI server crashed blah blah".

Also tested with another keyboard attached to the Midi port of the Mbox 2. Same results: the keyboard is ok within Pro Tools but can't be used by any other application.

To sum up, Pro Tools itself works but it prevents other applications to work
Old 09-09-2011, 08:31 AM

Talking Re: Pro-Tools LE 8.0.4 on Mac OS X Lion - works for me

Finally fixed it by installing the new Mbox 2 drivers (March 2011) that can be downloaded at www.avid.com/drivers. To sum up what I did:

0) on top of a fresh OS X Lion install (new machine)
1) Install Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 from CD (without Midi I/O drivers)
2) Install Pro Tools 8.0.5 update ( http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=296590 )
3) Install Mbox 2 drivers update ( http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...411&NewLang=en )

My hardware config: imac 27'', USB midi keyboard, Mbox 2.

Given what Avid currently says about OS X Lion support, it may or may not work if you have another config.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:20 PM

Hello,

Same thing, protools make crashed Lion's midi server with 003R+.
Once protools installed, I can't used (for example) Garaband and I can't run Audio and Midi setup.

Config : New Imac 27, I7 with PT 8.0.5 and 003R+

Vincent
Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_Loiseleur View Post
Finally fixed it by installing the new Mbox 2 drivers (March 2011) that can be downloaded at www.avid.com/drivers. To sum up what I did:

0) on top of a fresh OS X Lion install (new machine)
1) Install Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 from CD (without Midi I/O drivers)
2) Install Pro Tools 8.0.5 update ( http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=296590 )
3) Install Mbox 2 drivers update ( http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...411&NewLang=en )

My hardware config: imac 27'', USB midi keyboard, Mbox 2.

Given what Avid currently says about OS X Lion support, it may or may not work if you have another config.
Hey Patrick I just want to say thank you sooooooo much!!!! I followed your steps and
PT LE 8.0.5 works for me on Lion. I could kiss you right now!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:15 PM

I've also been unable to open Garage Band and the MIDI window under "Audio MIDI Setup".
(4 minutes into it we get a message " Audio MIDI setup couldn't open the MIDI server so you can't view or edit your MIDI configurations. If you recently installed a new MIDI driver, try uninstalling it and then open Audio MIDI setup again. If Audio MIDI setup works correctly after that, contact the driver's manufacturer for further support"

They successfully open once Pro Tools is running, though
Drivers already updated as suggested by DigiTech!
Hopefully they will help us out.

Mac Book Pro
Mac OS X 10.7.1 (Lion)
Pro Tools 9.0.5
(drivers already updated as suggested by DigiTech)