Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2015, 02:10 PM

Default Pro Tools Diagnostic Tests and Results

The attached document shows some test procedures and results that lead me to believe that some/most of the problems people are experiencing with Pro Tools 11 & 12 are caused by the software itself.

Since these procedures use the readily available PT11 Demo Session, they can also be used to evaluate and compare the performance of various OSs, computers, hard drives, and “Playback Engines”. They should also prove handy for troubleshooting problems associated with individuals’ systems and sessions.

Here’s a brief summary of the procedure that I used and the results:
1. Downloaded the “Kelly Malone – Earth and Stars” PT 11 Demo Session from my account
2. Used “Save Copy In” to turn it into a more demanding 32 bit floating point session at 192 kHz
3. Failed multiple “Online Bounce to Disc” tests with a 128 Sample ASIO Buffer (~33% CPU Usage)
4. Passed multiple “Offline Bounce to Disc” tests at 3X-4X real time (~100% CPU Usage, 35 MB/sec Disk I/O, and 17% Used Physical Memory)
5. Passed multiple “Online Bounce to Disc” tests after changing the buffer size to 256 (halving the software’s data output speed requirements).

The attachment should provide all the details necessary to duplicate the tests and/or draw conclusions from the results. If not, let me know and I will try to explain things better.
Additional information is also provided at http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=368266

Last edited by Amack; 06-01-2015 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old 05-28-2015, 02:13 PM

Here's the last 2 pages of the attachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
The attached document shows some test procedures and results that lead me to believe that some/most of the problems people are experiencing with Pro Tools 11 & 12 are caused by the software itself.

Since these procedures use the readily available PT11 Demo Session, they can also be used to evaluate and compare the performance of various OSs, computers, hard drives, and “Playback Engines”. They should also prove handy for troubleshooting problems associated with individuals’ systems and sessions.

Here’s a brief summary of the procedure that I used and the results:
1. Downloaded the “Kelly Malone – Earth and Stars” PT 11 Demo Session from my account
2. Used “Save Copy In” to turn it into a more demanding 32 bit floating point session at 192 kHz
3. Failed multiple “Online Bounce to Disc” tests with a 128 Sample ASIO Buffer (~33% CPU Usage)
4. Passed multiple “Offline Bounce to Disc” tests at 3X-4X real time (~100% CPU Usage, 35 MB/sec Disk I/O, and 17% Used Physical Memory)
5. Passed multiple “Online Bounce to Disc” tests after changing the buffer size to 256 (halving the software’s data output speed requirements).

The attachment should provide all the details necessary to duplicate the tests and/or draw conclusions from the results. If not, let me know and I will try to explain things better.
Addition information is also provided at http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=368266
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pro Tools Diagnostic Tests Page 9.pdf (160.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Pro Tools Diagnostic Tests Page 10.pdf (409.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-28-2015, 06:27 PM

Not sure why, but I can't view any of the pdf files. And, this info might mean more with some hard details about the system used

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-28-2015, 08:00 PM

Anyone/everyone please! You'll find that the computer details don't really matter - try your own! I don't know why you can't see/download the attachments. How many pages do you see "attached" to each of my two posts? I've asked many times if people are able to see the pdfs I've attached to other posts - which seem to work fine for me! But, I have never received a response. That disturbs me greatly since I spent a lot of time generating those attachments and feel that they could help solve some of PT's and its users' problems. Maybe the DUC has some bugs too regarding pdf attachments - which could help explain some of my apparent communication problems! Can you upload a pdf and I'll see if I can view/download it? Thanks in advance for doing so and thank you for responding to my post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Not sure why, but I can't view any of the pdf files. And, this info might mean more with some hard details about the system used
Old 05-28-2015, 08:18 PM

Okay, turns out it was Chrome that prevented viewing. I am able to see them with Firefox. Not sure why you feel system details don't matter when you are hitting it hard with a 192K/32 bit session. Then, you are testing using ASIO4ALL, which is a 3rd party universal driver that doesn't carry what I would call a "pro" pedigree. It may be worth your while to repeat at 96K/32 bit and 48K/24 bit for comparison's sake

Old 05-28-2015, 08:42 PM

My goal was to "hit it (PT) hard" because modern computers are so powerful. I first discovered it with a less powerful laptop bouncing to 44.1 kHz 16 bits from 48 kHz 24 bits with a Fast Track Duo using a 64 sample buffer on one of my son's recording sessions. Why don't you just try it and see for yourself? Pay particular attention to the lack of correlation between PT's perception of "System Usage" and the real system usage as reported by Window's "Resource Monitor". Let both run after the bounce. What does PT think it's doing then?

Quote:
Okay, turns out it was Chrome that prevented viewing. I am able to see them with Firefox. Not sure why you feel system details don't matter when you are hitting it hard with a 192K/32 bit session. Then, you are testing using ASIO4ALL, which is a 3rd party universal driver that doesn't carry what I would call a "pro" pedigree. It may be worth your while to repeat at 96K/32 bit and 48K/24 bit for comparison's sake
Old 05-29-2015, 09:17 AM

If you feel the need, that's cool For me, my rig runs like a train and does everything I ask of it

Old 05-29-2015, 12:24 PM

Any empathy for those less fortunate?

Quote:
If you feel the need, that's cool For me, my rig runs like a train and does everything I ask of it
Old 05-29-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
Any empathy for those less fortunate?
Always

Old 05-31-2015, 08:42 AM

I suspect that your rig runs like a train rather than like a Ferrari (as it should) is because you're forced by Pro Tools to run it that way! But, if that works for you, more power to you.

Quote: