Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-05-2008, 11:50 PM

Default Re: New CS 5

Quote:

that's cool and everything...but why is this happening at all at this point?
YES! That's what we really want to know.

mike
Old 06-06-2008, 12:22 AM

That's funny, I was about to take that off of "Pause During Playback" until I read this. This use to be ok before Pro Tools 7. Please can they fix this.

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 06-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
That's funny, I was about to take that off of "Pause During Playback" until I read this. This use to be ok before Pro Tools 7. Please can they fix this.

Marc
how about pretty please with sugar on top all over in out up and down....

you are Digidesign....

you are doers not triers

please...do.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I believe he's talking about the -9473 errors we're still getting when trying to apply fades and such DURING playback.
This is what keeps me from leaving PT 7.3. When you are making hundreds of edits a day, this error is a real deal-killer.

Mike
Old 06-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Avid

Quote:
Quote:
Don't you mean '9073'? Or do you really mean '9473'?

The 9073 error we know about - and I'm assuming your workflow is such that you need to apply and hear fades on the fly, yes?

If not, checking "Pause During Playback' in the Tasks window should eliminate or at least reduce the number of 9073 errors.
that's cool and everything...but why is this happening at all at this point?
There were changes made to Pro Tools 7.4 to make fade rendering faster, but it required a lot of work on the audio engine. Unfortunately the problem with fades didn't show up in testing, either here or with beta sites.

Now that we know what's happening we've had a look at what it would take to fix this - and still keep the fade rendering as fast as it currently is. Unfortunately all available engineers have been working on Leopard, so not much headway has been made on this. There's quite a lot of work that will need to be done to please everyone involved (we can't just back out the fade rendering speed, as other customers are already happy with that and it would just be a bad move to take it away) and it's unclear exactly how long it will take.

As soon as I have any other info, I'll let you know.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:26 PM

For me, I couldn't possibly care less how long the fades take to render (OK, maybe just a little... ), but the 9073 errors are making me consider downgrading back to 7.3 until it's sorted out. Elastic audio is cool and 7.4 seems really good otherwise, but these 9073 errors are a real work-flow killer -- I can't imagine having to wait for playback to stop to make edits, what a waste of time. In the meantime I'll be using 'pause during playback', but I hope this is fixed soon.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
(we can't just back out the fade rendering speed, as other customers are already happy with that and it would just be a bad move to take it away) and it's unclear exactly how long it will take.

forgive me if i fail to see some bigger picture here

i'm having a little difficulty figuring out who these "other customers" are and how they reign over what is being posted here.

carry on....somehow that doesn't come across right...i have a hard time seeing who is defined as them

as opposed to us.

just tryin' to make a living here...

and gas is $70 or more per tank now

Old 06-07-2008, 02:20 AM

Please sort out asap. I'm getting serious ear ache from clients over this!!!!

Old 06-07-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Please sort out asap. I'm getting serious ear ache from clients over this!!!!

what exactly happens

do they say...what's wrong with your rig?

when i get the errors...the expression of surprise and finally weaned but one of disgust has not

what do those clients say to you ?

Old 06-08-2008, 10:27 AM

my big reason for not worknig in the 2 os9 suites we have left is that doing a fade during playback/record will stop said playback/record. Interesting that with 7.4 I get these 9073's all day. I can't stand it either !! I have been pulling down the latest cs's hoping they might fix this... When all 8 operators at the studio call me on this I've had no good explanation - and now had to change for 'pause until stop' or whatever so that the fades render after playbck stops. What gives? Glad I'm not the only one..

Is it the new engine issue with elastic? I love 7.4, but HATE this bug. I'm off to grabbing the new 7.4cs5 and will cross my fingers with the new (or re-emerging) crash-during-audio-import a la 6x. Digi, we love you, by some days, its a real love-hate relationship. We kind of need to be able to securley import audio! Hope that goes without saying! Doesn't matter if its a G5/G4/MacPro...

Anybody else get quizzed at work about 'what was Digi thinking?' or some other type of 'guess their philosophy' ?