Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Apple iMac PowerPC G5 1.9GHz

I'm considering purchasing a Apple iMac PowerPC G5 1.9GHz, does anyone own one or had any experience with them? I'm using an Mbox 2 (6.8) are there any things I should watch out for or consider? or is there a better system I can look at purchasing within the same price range.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Apple iMac PowerPC G5 1.9GHz

I have an iMac PowerPC G5 2.0GHz 17", it runs very well, my only complaint is the noise!
this machine is very noisy, there are too much fans running behind it.

but after some time you get used to it.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:48 PM

I'm Using a 1.8 ghz iMac G5 with 1.5 GB ram, Tiger 10.4.2.

Currently mixing 16 tracks of audio with 21 plugs, not bad at all!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I have an iMac PowerPC G5 2.0GHz 17", it runs very well, my only complaint is the noise!
this machine is very noisy, there are too much fans running behind it.

but after some time you get used to it.

i got the 17 incher...i just upped the ram to 1.5gb all i could afford atm, i was wondering have you ever heard of a crash when u exit protools? it seems to have quite frequently...i always save my sessions... hehe... learned that lesson the hard way, and also i know its better to get a external hard (no cash atm but will have some real soon) which do u prefer..they carry lacie where im at and maxtors, cause i get playback errors and usb errors...i might have to get the bluetooth mouse and keyboard too i think to free up some juice maybe? sometimes i think it is the culprit, other than that i love my setup. sorry for hijackin the thread didnt mean too, did a search for g5 and this came up
Old 12-15-2005, 01:44 PM

Heres my setup DJ Loon:

iMac G5 1.8 ghz
1.5 GB Ram
OSX 10.4.2
Apple Pro KB & Mouse (Bluetooth)
Maxtor Ext Firewire Drive (7200rpm 8mb cache )
Pro Tools 7

As far as drives go the Maxtor is by far the best i have had so far, it's lightning fast and unlike other makes it doesn't hibernate or sleep after not being used for a while (WD drives do this and the setting in energy saving doesn't stop it doing this). I've heard the lacies are very good but i have yet to try one. Which ever way you decide to go it's essential the drive has an Oxford 911 chipset else the performance will be naff, also don't even touch USB2 on a mac as it's around half the speed. Since upgrading to Pro Tools 7 i have noticed an increase in performance, i'm able to run around 15% more plugins than 6.9.2. I do however occasionally get the old buffer error but thats just Pro Tools in my experience, i've never had any problems closing a session though.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Heres my setup DJ Loon:

iMac G5 1.8 ghz
1.5 GB Ram
OSX 10.4.2
Apple Pro KB & Mouse (Bluetooth)
Maxtor Ext Firewire Drive (7200rpm 8mb cache )
Pro Tools 7

As far as drives go the Maxtor is by far the best i have had so far, it's lightning fast and unlike other makes it doesn't hibernate or sleep after not being used for a while (WD drives do this and the setting in energy saving doesn't stop it doing this). I've heard the lacies are very good but i have yet to try one. Which ever way you decide to go it's essential the drive has an Oxford 911 chipset else the performance will be naff, also don't even touch USB2 on a mac as it's around half the speed. Since upgrading to Pro Tools 7 i have noticed an increase in performance, i'm able to run around 15% more plugins than 6.9.2. I do however occasionally get the old buffer error but thats just Pro Tools in my experience, i've never had any problems closing a session though.

Hope this helps.
cool man good looking. yeah on my imac crashing when closing pro tools i noticed it happens only when i save something, it will crash on shutdown, im just thinking i need the external harddrive to solve that, only glitch i have. doesnt crash when i open up and a session and close it (non saved). also what do u mean with oxford 911 im still a big n00b, there is a few other questions i have to,i tried to pm you but wont let me, weird, if u can plz email me [email protected]

as these threads get buried fast and im fairly busy with the holidays, greatly appreciate it.