Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-08-1998, 08:25 PM

Default Noisy Fans

Anyone out there known where I can get a quiet fan to replace a noisy one in my APS M Power Mac Clone?
Old 10-11-1998, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Noisy Fans

By the time you get done quieting the fans, the hard drives will drive you crazy...etc...

What I want is a little iso booth for my computer...

I would like a small enclosure, roughly two feet tall and deep and one foot wide, that would have a door on the front that would allow access to the drives and a very quiet but efficient cooling fan and two baffled ports for cables to go in and out (one for power, one for audio) in the rear.* It should not be on casters but it should be vibration isolated so the vibration of the computer also does not transduce onto the floor.* I'm looking for at least 20db of attenuation, for under $500.

Can anyone help me?
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 10-13-1998, 06:36 PM

I've gotten lots of suggestions from other people on this topic...if you're in a "bedroom" studio, put the drives in the closet on the floor...or, if you have to, knock a small hole in the wall and run the scsi cable to the drives which can be conveniently located (?) in the adjacent room. I think this is what I'm going to do...the drive chatter is driving me crazy!
Old 10-14-1998, 08:35 PM

Any decent electronic supply store will have replacememt fans that are no doubt quite quiet. If you know what you're doing you could probably replace your fan, If you're not sure find a friend who is.

The other alternative is as mentioned. Build yourself an isolated enclosure for you're computer. Even a cheap little bedside cupboard with a door will greatly cut down on noise. Pad it with some high quality foam and you'll wonder if you're computer is even on!

Kev