Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 09-01-2017, 03:54 AM

Default Creating new Memory Location

Hi,
one annoying bug in my setup is to create new memory locations, in my case session track layouts. I saved my layouts to ProControl Touchscreen (Page 15). With every new created MemoryLocation this saved configuration gets lost. And looking into the soft key command editor the names of the Memory Locations seemed to be changed. Clicking on them makes the original name show up again. But the former saved layout in ProControl is still gone. Whatīs the matter for that?
Cheers,
Stefan
Old 09-01-2017, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Creating new Memory Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSo View Post
Hi,
one annoying bug in my setup is to create new memory locations, in my case session track layouts. I saved my layouts to ProControl Touchscreen (Page 15). With every new created MemoryLocation this saved configuration gets lost. And looking into the soft key command editor the names of the Memory Locations seemed to be changed. Clicking on them makes the original name show up again. But the former saved layout in ProControl is still gone. Whatīs the matter for that?
Cheers,
Stefan
Just to be safe, itīs not ProControl, itīs ProTools Control meant.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Hi,
Cheers,
Stefan
hi stefan, are you saving your setup in EuCon software ?? and if so, can you recall it successfully ?? trying t understand why it is not saving ...

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 09-20-2017, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
hi stefan, are you saving your setup in EuCon software ?? and if so, can you recall it successfully ?? trying t understand why it is not saving ...

cheers john
Hi John,
yes I do save my setup in EuCon, but I canīt recall it manually because Softkeys are not to be recalled. The only setting you can restore is factory default and the layouts for your Artist Hardware. The rest opens just as you saved it.
The trouble about it is, that every new or deleted memory location destroys the saved layout of my PT Control, which has itīs origin in EuCon.
Cheers,
Stefan
Old 11-07-2017, 08:29 AM

Are you using memory locations with track show/hide? -- if so you don't NEED to do that. You can simply use a layout and have only the tracks you want on your Artist Mix.

Layouts are set up in EuControl and are stored with the session. EuControl reads the layout info and passes it to PT Control to be recalled. If you're creating and storing layouts correctly all you should have to do is go to the Layouts page and they should all be there, named how they appear in EuControl.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Anz View Post
Are you using memory locations with track show/hide? -- if so you don't NEED to do that. You can simply use a layout and have only the tracks you want on your Artist Mix.

Layouts are set up in EuControl and are stored with the session. EuControl reads the layout info and passes it to PT Control to be recalled. If you're creating and storing layouts correctly all you should have to do is go to the Layouts page and they should all be there, named how they appear in EuControl.
Hi Anthony,
thanks for your reply. I do know about that layout possibility for the artist mix, but in my case I do have quiet large sessions. With the show/hide function itīs a quite helpful way to keep it neatly arranged on the monitors. Otherwise I would scroll me to death and wouldnīt even find, what Iīm looking for.
I do use different layouts (VCA/Dia/FX/AMB/Instr/etc.), but these only do help in terms of mixing, not in terms of editing and keeping the session in a clear overview on the monitors. So for me the track and hide features are truly essential. And itīs really annoying, that I have to fix the layout of the softkey window all times I stored a new or got rid of an old memory location.
Cheers,
Stefan
Old 11-07-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Hi Anthony,
thanks for your reply. I do know about that layout possibility for the artist mix, but in my case I do have quiet large sessions. With the show/hide function itīs a quite helpful way to keep it neatly arranged on the monitors. Otherwise I would scroll me to death and wouldnīt even find, what Iīm looking for.
I do use different layouts (VCA/Dia/FX/AMB/Instr/etc.), but these only do help in terms of mixing, not in terms of editing and keeping the session in a clear overview on the monitors. So for me the track and hide features are truly essential. And itīs really annoying, that I have to fix the layout of the softkey window all times I stored a new or got rid of an old memory location.
Cheers,
Stefan
Hey Stefan, I totally understand your need for the show /hide feature now. I think I understand what you mean.You keep having to adjust the layout of the softkey page? Hmm. Arent memory locations displayed based on their position in the timeline? If you try and rearrange them in EuControl I'm not sure what will happen. Most likely something weird..
Old 11-09-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Anz View Post
Hey Stefan, I totally understand your need for the show /hide feature now. I think I understand what you mean.You keep having to adjust the layout of the softkey page? Hmm. Arent memory locations displayed based on their position in the timeline? If you try and rearrange them in EuControl I'm not sure what will happen. Most likely something weird..

Hi Anthony,
thatīs the point - I do ALWAYS have to rearrange it in EU-Control. Every new location destroys the setup.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:32 AM

hi there,

i guess it's just not ment to be used that way. for some guys it's useful, when the locations in protoolscontrol update the same way as they do in the memory location window.

but you could try this and build your own softkeys based on keycommands. memory location have their own id number that doesn't update when you create new ones. the first you create is number one, second number two and so on. you would need to create your selction and show/hide locations first, so that they are always location 1-16 or whatever number you need. you can also change the id number for locations, just the number has to be unused.
then you can recall them by typing . number . on you numberpad. for your location/selction 1 you type .1.
then you can create your softkey in protoolscontrol that does that keycommand for you. (or you just recall them by the number pad. it's also pretty fast, once your used to..)

the only thing thats a bit unconvenient is that you have to create your 16 or whatever selections first, or you will have to change your number id's for other locations with numbers under your 16 or whatever. you also could go for very high number, you normally would not use in your location. but then you would need to set the id's in each of your selections manually.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiosus View Post
hi there,

i guess it's just not ment to be used that way. for some guys it's useful, when the locations in protoolscontrol update the same way as they do in the memory location window.

but you could try this and build your own softkeys based on keycommands. memory location have their own id number that doesn't update when you create new ones. the first you create is number one, second number two and so on. you would need to create your selction and show/hide locations first, so that they are always location 1-16 or whatever number you need. you can also change the id number for locations, just the number has to be unused.
then you can recall them by typing . number . on you numberpad. for your location/selction 1 you type .1.
then you can create your softkey in protoolscontrol that does that keycommand for you. (or you just recall them by the number pad. it's also pretty fast, once your used to..)

the only thing thats a bit unconvenient is that you have to create your 16 or whatever selections first, or you will have to change your number id's for other locations with numbers under your 16 or whatever. you also could go for very high number, you normally would not use in your location. but then you would need to set the id's in each of your selections manually.
Hi studiosus,
seems to be a way to get in that direction, but with some stupid limitations. First off all I donīt understand the reason, why EuCon does not provide selecting the ids of the memory locs. I know about the possibility of doing it with the num pad. But as I have really a lot, and changing amounts and reasons from session to session, I canīt remember them all the way.
Doing it, as you suggested, in EuCon, itīs a way to go, but only for the first 9 digits. Itīs not possible to go further (in EuCon the key commands only understand single figure numbers???) and thatīs not enough for my claims.
Next point is, that you can't use the EDIT MEMORY LOC function in PT Control. Always you have a change in a single track layout you have to go back to do it with your mouse and shortcuts. That is quite easy done with the ipad, but does not function with your workaround.
So for me the question is as written above, why does EuCon not work with the MemLoc Ids?
And I guess this one goes to Eddy.
Cheers,
Stefan