Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2008, 10:21 AM

Default Firewire Chipset Question for Mbox 2 Pro...

Howdy there.

I've done some digging, but haven't really found a specific answer to this question, just people generally looking for a direction where to go. Hope it hasn't been covered already.

I'm purchasing an Mbox 2 Pro within the next week, but my PC doesn't presently have a firewire card. I have read things regarding other interfaces requiring a specific FW chipset (namely TI). Even the ones recommended by Digi have a TI chipset.

Is a TI chipset REQUIRED for the Mbox 2 Pro to work without a hitch, or will any FW400 card suffice? If it's between paying $8 or $50, I'd rather go with the $8. Sad to say I'm on a budget at present.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Firewire Chipset Question for Mbox 2 Pro...

Go ahead and try the $8 card. Just be prepared to throw it away and buy the $50 if it doesn't work(and you will forfiet your right to complain). I'm honestly not nagging here. Its just that, if you want good performance, it makes sense to follow Digi's recommendations. Besides that, if you shop around, you will likely find a lower price(did you try newegg.com?). All of us benefit whenever someone tries an untested device that actually works(God bless the trailblazers on the DUC!). A risk of $8 is not much risk for most of us. Don't forget another consideration. A $50 card that lasts you 5 years, only cost you $10 per year. Now it doesn't look like such a big saving does it? (reminds me of one of life's lessons; buy the right stuff the first time so you don't have to buy it over and over....).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-09-2008, 03:16 PM

Ha! I half-expected an answer such as that.

That's perfectly sound and fair advice. Just wasn't sure if anyone had ever had issues using non TI cards is all.

Thanks much for your input. I'll keep you posted!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:19 PM

Running a no name FW card (from Fry's @ under $8) and a 003 rack...no probs. FTR I've had Oxford FW bridges on a couple of drive enclosures die, as well as ports dying on a Kensington hub, so sometimes that $50 burns up as well. Replacement factor is a reality in our world. Hope this is helpful.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:35 PM

Any chance of a model name/number on that Frye's card?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 PM

It's a PPA int'l 4 port card...and now that I have the box in hand it turns out that was $15...that must be why it works so well...<G>
BTW it's a via chipset and I installed it in a Gateway Vista machine...that didn't have 1394 built-in...just like Mac more PC box makers are dropping firewire.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:39 AM

Great, where does that leave those of us with firewire interfaces? Is Digidesign going to move to PCI-e if Apple does away with firewire ports on their computers? And if so, there goes portability.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Great, where does that leave those of us with firewire interfaces? Is Digidesign going to move to PCI-e if Apple does away with firewire ports on their computers? And if so, there goes portability.

Cheers,
Sorry to be alarming...to clarify Apple is losing the FW option on the low end MB's but keeping FW800 on the MB Pro's. FW800 is compatable with legacy FW400 gear using a conversion cable...400 jack on one end 800 jack on the other. The PC's w/o 1394 can easily be upgrade to FW400 using an inexpensive card like I did. The big PITA on the Mac side is having to swap out cables as you migrate up to the newer models. I don't see this as an immediate issue. Heck I'm still running my HD rig with an older Mac G5 PPC and LE on a year old MB Pro that I won't be replacing for another year or so. Both boxes are very powerful so why bother is my philosophy. It's not like the bad old days of G3 or even the god awful noisy G4 MDD that I can't bring myself to boot up anymore...hmmm shiny door stop!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:37 AM

FWIW, I'm running a 2 Pro off the Ricoh Firewire chipset in my ASUS A8JS laptop with no problems.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:51 AM

hello guys,

i have some trouble with my fw card too i think. but i can not really tell which fw card i should use with my mbox pro 3rd gen? can anyone tell me? or is there more information needed?

let me know!!!
greetings
reatsch