Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-21-2017, 02:16 PM

Default HD Omni - Every app sees it except Pro Tools 12.8.1

Hi.

This is the issue: I have a new HD Omni and HD Native Thunderbolt. All of my audio apps work with them except Pro Tools 12.8.1. When I first hooked things up, Pro Tools worked too. I left the Omni on for a couple of hours and at some point the connection dropped. I have Pro Tools (regular, not HD) and digilink licenses on the ilok. I've trashed all preferences, tried different HD drivers, restarted the entire system.... I've run DigiTest - which recognizes the Omni. How do I get this gear going? Sibelius, Logic, Ableton, Mac System Sound are all playing nicely, recognizing the interface and routing sound, but if I launch Pro Tools (without any other app running) HD Native Thunderbolt is not available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

tech supervisor

Last edited by techsupervisor; 09-21-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:09 PM

Default Re: HD Omni - Every app sees it except Pro Tools 12.8.1

You need a Pro Tools HD license and a DigiLink licenses to use DigiLink interfaces with Pro Tools. You are missing the HD license part. This issue is widely discussed on DUC. If you have more questions about this please search first for answers.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:17 PM

Thanks for your help and your suggestion that I search the forum. Extremely thoughtful of you. Now it's just a matter of going through some ALP rigamarole.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:03 PM

In theory, If you own Pro Tools vanilla with a Digilink licence then there is no reason for Pro tools not to see the Omni interface, which you will know as it was working when you first used it.
It is working for other software meaning it is not a hardware issue.

You state trying different HD drivers - Have you removed the previous ones before instaling the next ?

This is the last thing you want to hear, but in these situations I find more time is saved rather than lost by doing a clean install.
Do a clean install on a clean drive - by clean drive I mean a drive with only the OS installed and nothing else. - any old drive will do - it doesn't need to be capable of actually running sessions, just launching PT host.

Install PT on this drive with associated HD driver and see if it will launch. if all is ok then start piling on plug ins and other software one by one testing PT launch with each subsequent install.

you may hit a point whereby all software is installed and PT is working A*.

This is the sad point where you have to admit defeat and wipe your main system drive and do all that installing again - It's happened to all of us at some point.

I keep a clean clone Of OS+PT install just because of this - that said the last time it need use was 4 years ago, but I still update and check that drive can boot every 6 months.

none of us got into music to be IT system administrators
Old 10-04-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan IceWood View Post
In theory, If you own Pro Tools vanilla with a Digilink licence then there is no reason for Pro tools not to see the Omni interface, which you will know as it was working when you first used it.
It is working for other software meaning it is not a hardware issue.
No. Pro Tools (non-HD) will *not* work with Digilink interfaces, regardless of wether you have a Digilink license as well. Discussed many times on DUC.

All the behavior seen is exactly as expected.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-04-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:07 PM

Have to admit my ignorance on this matter.
I assumed from AVIDs initial literature on the matter with DIGIlink licence that all AVID hardware was available to any Core Audio application.

Seeing as Pro tools vanilla uses Core Audio I made the assumption that it also meant that Avid hardware and Protools vanilla using Core audio were compatible.

Been in HD land for too long it seems, my bad.

Any links to posts discussing this would be of interest - search is not coming up with anything useful.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:09 PM

To the OP, I would still be interested to know which version driver you are using and if you de-installed the previous versions.

If it was working for you then there must be a valid reason why, maybe it was pure luck and then the system realised you were not on HD software.

Seems like a bitch though, one of those things that really should be spelled out on their purchase page....

IMO the following system requirements

Pro Tools | HDX or HD Native system
Any DigiLink-enabled audio interface (Avid or non-Avid)

do not clearly state that an HD SOFTWARE licence is needed

90% of people not used to AVID would assume that those requirements where hardware requirements - specifically as there is nothing to tell consumers that HD software is also a requirement.

Purposely misleading / willfully ignorant.

Not the sort of thing a purchaser should have to find on a web forum.

Last edited by Dan IceWood; 10-04-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan IceWood View Post
Have to admit my ignorance on this matter.
I assumed from AVIDs initial literature on the matter with DIGIlink licence that all AVID hardware was available to any Core Audio application.

Seeing as Pro tools vanilla uses Core Audio I made the assumption that it also meant that Avid hardware and Protools vanilla using Core audio were compatible.

Been in HD land for too long it seems, my bad.

Any links to posts discussing this would be of interest - search is not coming up with anything useful.
Pro Tools is deliberately crippled not to use Core Audio to a Digilink interface. HD does not use Core Audio to talk to them.

Ha when the Digilink licensing changes were first made, I read them and assumed the same as you are saying. And was quickly corrected.

Google: Pro Tools standard Digilink license site:duc.avid.com
Old 10-04-2017, 03:27 PM

Seems like a bitch though, one of those things that really should be spelled out on their purchase page....

IMO the following system requirements

Pro Tools | HDX or HD Native system
Any DigiLink-enabled audio interface (Avid or non-Avid)

do not clearly state that an HD SOFTWARE licence is needed

90% of people not used to AVID would assume that those requirements where hardware requirements - specifically as there is nothing to tell consumers that HD software is also a requirement.

Purposely misleading / willfully ignorant.

Not the sort of thing a purchaser should have to find on a web forum.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:58 PM

Yes Avid could make this much clearer. I don’t get why Avid Marketing seems to want to do stuff like this and confuse the market/potential customers. Surely it’s deliberate... because if it’s not then it surely would have been fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk